Join Shelby Forums Today

your advice - 1967 Mustang Conv

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mohammad, Jan 29, 2008.

1. mohammad

mohammad New Member

Hi,
    I own a 1967 Mustang Conv. and would like your advice / recomended parts, along with distrinbuters, needed to transform this car into a 1967 Shelby gt-500.
    regards,

2. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Re: your advice

In Short...nothing. Yes, nothing is going to make something that is no longer made anymore.

Now, you are probably asking about making a clone of a 67 Gt 500, well then, we can help.
    Tony Branda has a complete catalog. He can sell you everyhing you need.

Now, I ask you, are you going to put in a 428 CU engine? If not, then it won't be a GT 500, then why bother, it will be just another fake clone with stripes.

3. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

It will still be a fake regardless if it has a 428 swap. I would just do the visual cues sans Shelby badging. Then you would never have to worry about it being a fake.

robin

4. 66gtk

66gtk Well-Known Member

Of course, there were no '67 Shelby convertibles, except for 1 prototype.

Having said that, I would also love to have a Shelby "inspired" '67 convertible of my own. I would do it my way, with deisgn cues from the '67 body kit. I think Shelby got it right with the design changes from a standard Mustang.

5. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

here's a nicely done clone...

[​IMG]

6. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Hey nice pic Ron:thumbsup:
    Great looking car.
    Best Regards,
    Vern

7. 67200F5A02206

67200F5A02206 Well-Known Member

Many of these have already been built, some better than others. Keep in mind that to get ALL the details (inside and out) correct is very expensive and time consuming. Most clones cut corners (incorrect drive train, no roll bar, incorrect steering wheel, standard interior, etc.). Plus no matter who provides the fiberglass it is going to need a lot of work for a first class paint job.

You probably don't want to hear this but it would be cheaper to find a really nice one and buy it instead of building your own. If you insist on building your own you will get to $50K in a hurry.

8. Benzito

Benzito Well-Known Member

Branda's website also has a detailed list of all the parts needed to "convert" a regular Mustang into a Shelby clone. You could probably pick and choose those parts you wanted if you aren't going for the full clone / fake.

9. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

The builder went to all that trouble to make it look like a 67 and then striped it like a 68 Shelby. It's DNA strands are just a little off from a true clone.

10. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

100_1351.jpg Picture 057.jpg Here is a pic of my 67 Mustang conv before and after I persoanlly cloned. We owned the car since 82. I tried real hard to get it right. I added 69 Mach 1 high backs and designed a 3 point shoulder harness belt set up incorporated into the roll bar. I take my kids to cruise ins all the time and I wanted some added safety. My total investment into the car doing a majority of the work myself was $15K. Every inch of the car was restored from the front to the rear. Drivetrain too. A TON of hours but I loved every bit of it and would do it again. Now my time is devoted to #3000. It was a lot of work but worth it in the end. I sold the car for $45K and bought Shelby GT-350 #3000.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  11. mohammad

mohammad New Member

I would like to thank you for all the feed back. So far a 428cu with a tremek 5-6 is the intentional drive train; a body kit along with the roll bar is the 1st step.
    I will keep you all posted for any updates. This project will take a long time but its worth the effort.
    agian, thanks for all the help.
    regards.