Join Shelby Forums Today

yellow markings (numbers on chassis)

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by 66shelbynz, Jul 31, 2006.

1. 66shelbynz

66shelbynz Well-Known Member

hi there. i have these on my car and have always wondered what they meant - could someone explain them to me please? Also (i know how dumb this is going to sound) but what does D.S.O on the diff head mean..The car pictured below is not mine (i borrowed the picture off a car on the dreaded ebay - i hope the owner doesn't mind :)

Attached Files:

2. 68GT500-Aussieland

68GT500-Aussieland Well-Known Member

3. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

At the San Jose plant the fenders (as well as other body parts) were painted in a different section of the plant from the unibody (with the doors, trunk lid -boot to you- and rear valance attached)

The fenders were hung on a continuous rack (similar to what is used at dry cleaners in this country) with a plate and specific number above each of the hooks they hung on. Because of the reuse of the hook you can see the same numbers repeated themselves if you see enough cars built during 65-66 at San Jose.

The matching numbers ( to the hook) were written on each frame rail so that the right fender ended up on the correct car. The marks often are hard to see or part gone in many cases. Pattern is normally 5-6 digits, always numbers (0-4) being used. Often you can still find a dash between the 2nd or 3rd and the rest of the number

The "DSO" found on some of the 65-66 rearends was simply a way for Ford workers to identify them from other rear ends at the plant

Hope this helps

Jeff

4. 66shelbynz

66shelbynz Well-Known Member

thank Jeff - that really great info .......cheers.:thumbsup: