Join Shelby Forums Today

Would someone please explain to me how all of the cars that "normal" owners run ...

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by J.Bailey, Jan 20, 2013.

1. J.Bailey

J.Bailey Well-Known Member

through Barrett-Jackson must be sold with NO RESERVE but if any special people like Mr. Jackson himself offer one of their cars at auction it is only sold WITH A RESERVE? Seems to stink to high heavens to me. Does this rub any of you guys the wrong way?

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Re: Would someone please explain to me how all of the cars that "normal" owners run .

Barrett Jackson instituted the reserve auction option after the dismal 2010 selling year. The option costs more, so less people spend the up front money to do so.

What you should be asking is the "fantasy bids" on several of the cars that did not meet reserve so that you can educate yourself into what really happened on Saturday night :doh:

Bill S.

3. gt5003119

gt5003119 Member

Re: Would someone please explain to me how all of the cars that "normal" owners run .

Barrett Jackson has what they call "Salon cars", a group of reserve cars. They were numbered 5000 lot. Everything else was no reserve. Consigners can drop the reserve if they wish to off the car, generate some more interest or the bidding is close enough to the reserve. What was strange to me was on a few occasions Craig and Steve announed they do not know what the reserve is, but was heard saying " the bidding is very close to the reserve".
    hhhhmmm??
    The other funny thing, Steve was out in the bidder field bidding on Clark Gables mercedes... Without a bidders pass.....
    As far as the fantasy bids, that is not related to Barrett. Just a game Haggerty insurance sponsors for speed channel.
    All in all, another entertaining year.

4. Grumpy

Grumpy Member

I don't understand why someone would put up there car . 18% in buyer/seller fees. + if you transport your winning car home in your private rig ya get to pay an additional 6.6% AZ sales tax.. :doh:

5. J.Bailey

J.Bailey Well-Known Member

I think that car owners are under the perception that if they sell their cars at Barrett-Jackson that they will get a price higher than what they could get if they sold it without all of the fanfare and will there fore cover all of those additional costs and make more profit. I wonder if members of this site would be willing to comment on their actual experiences and give their opinions. Anybody willing?

6. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

Everything about B-J rubs me the wrong way and I won't watch 1 minute of it. :noway:

7. glhs0075

glhs0075 Member

Nice! I'd have to agree.

8. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

I don't get worked up about things that are out of my price range.

9. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

When B-J morphed into extensive B-S, my remote control was used quickly and effectively.

B)

10. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard some of the horror stories about guys putting their cars in BJ at no reserve only to have them come up at off times? One story I heard from a guy who goes quite often was about a guy who had to bid on his own car to keep from losing big time. He ended up paying the listing fee AND the final fee. Left Arizona buku $$$ poorer.

11. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Bill could have been very easily refering to the various times that bids (fantesy=shill ?) were taken on high end cars but the speed cameras for some reason couldn't seem to find the bidders like they did when the bat mobile and other high end cars had bidders who ended up with cars. The green hornet was a case in point. 300,000 seemed to be real money and from there on milked for a lonnnnng time but no camera on bidder or bidders?????? hmmmmmmm :laf: