Join Shelby Forums Today

Why no caps on torq thrust wheels?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by fnkmstr67, May 24, 2006.

1. 6t5

6t5 Member

The only punishment I see KensKR foresees is if you have a lowered suspension. With the 15x7 American Racing Torque Thruster's offset and the 235/60s on the front, I had to roll the fender lips on my '65 Shelby GT350 clone (I'm sure KensKR '68 KR has clearance issues with the 235/60 with the lowered suspension.). I'd have second thoughts about rolling my fenders if my Fastback were a real Shelby. I now have Phil Schimdt's, of PS Engineering, Trans Am 15x8 wheels (original Torque Thruster Magnesium replicas) with Yokohama AVS 235/60s mounted on my car. . .I'll post photos soon.

[​IMG]

2. KensKR

KensKR Well-Known Member

I'm using the Branda 1" lower front springs. With the 10 spokes having a 4 3/8" backspacing I had an occasional rub with 245/60's. When I went to the Torque Thrust D's with a 3 3/4" backspacing I switched the front tire size to 235/60's. I had all kinds of rubbing issues, with the slightest bump the tires were rubbing the finders. Thats when I lowered the upper control arms 1" like the early Shelby's and added 1 1/2 degrees of neg. camber. The top of the finders are rolled also. I've driven the Shelby about 20 miles with no rubbing. It's a lot of work lowering the A arms in big block with headers. If the car were at a stock ride hight the rubbing may not have been an issue.
    6t5 your car looks awsome the way it sits. If mine were that low I'd be dragging an oil pan and headers. My brothers 66 Shelby has about the same ride hight as yours.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  3. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

'65 and early '66 Shelbys all have lowered suspension. A lot of us have been
    using 15x7 R-model wheels with 235x60 tires a long time now on our Shelbys with no problems. A good number of the guys have rolled their fenders not only for a little more clearance but for the crisp outline of the wheelwell for a more aggresive "racey" look. When its time to paint in the near future; ( 42 year old paint is looking kind of scruffy) I will roll my Shelby's fenders. Don't need to, but I just like the looks of rolled fenders.
    shlby66

4. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

I have 205's on the front and 215's on the back. 15X7 torque thrust D's.. I have all original "to the car" fenders, and they survived this far without rolling them so I decided to get as much rubber as I could in there without rolling the lip. I tried 215's on the front and they were very close.. I think with the wheels cut all the way .."backing up" would have bent metal.
    caps on torque thrusts.. ....Nah
    jimbo
    [​IMG]

BTW.. I have 65 size GT350 rocker stripes (white paint) and logo (white vinyl) on this car. It was a pain in the butt to do and I think I had a few extra GT350's made......

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  5. shlby66

You will eliminate all rubbing issues on '65/'66 Shelbys if you take the time to assure you have proper ride heigth AND (real important) have the 15x7's
    properly backspaced to bring the inside of the wheel more inboard for
    clearance. This is not rocket science. We have been doing this for years.
    It can be done with 15x8's as well.
    shlby66

6. 6t5

6t5 Member

Finally. . .my PS Engineering Trans Am 15x8 Wheels

Here are some pics. . .not only is the wheel an inch wider, the offset (4.72) pulls the wheel/tire more into the fender's confines, and the wheel's width makes for a better tire profile (235/60) than when mounted on a 7 inch rim. They are hub-centric too!! And Phil furnishes each wheel with both chrome standard lugs and silver cad plated Trans Am extended lugs (shown).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

7. GrabberOrange69

GrabberOrange69 Well-Known Member

Re: Finally. . .my PS Engineering Trans Am 15x8 Wheels

6t5,

Man those wheels look AWESOME! 15x8s and they tuck in really nice. How do you like the Yoko AVSs? I had them on a Taurus SHO some years back and really liked 'em.

Congrats - the wheells really look nice - about how much would they set me back for my 65 coupe?

Bryan

8. 6t5

6t5 Member

Re: Finally. . .my PS Engineering Trans Am 15x8 Wheels

Bryan. . .thanks for the compliment. When I found Phil (owner of PS Engineering) and what he produced, I knew the American Racing Torque Thrusters on my car were temporary. Most of the GT350 racers and vintage Trans Am racers use his wheels, not to mention the gorgeous vintage Cobra Roadster Halibrand spinner/pin drive replica wheels and so on. The NLA Yokohama AVS tires are basically a great DOT track tire. You know exactly what I mean since you had them on your SHO (I had a new '90 SHO). It's ashame they're no longer available. I found what are probably the last set through the Tire Rack a couple of years back for the measely some of, get this. . .$55 each!!!! Obviously, the 235/60s were clearanced to be gotten rid of. As for the rims, they are rather pricey. Keep in mind they are made to order and basically handmade. . .$550 each.

Roy

9. shlby66

6t5, Those Trans Am Wheels are super nice! Phil Schmidt owner of PS Engineering is a really great guy and most knowlegable about performance wheel applications for Shelbys and Cobras. His work is the ultimate. He has been a member of our Shelby group for years.

I have a set for my Shelby too. Currently running my Shelby/Cragers as they are mounted with Yokohama's. The last of the good tires. Have been searching for V rated 230x60's for some time now, but no luck. I'm seriously
    considering using Goodyear Blue Streak 600x15's at this point.
    shlby66

10. 6t5

6t5 Member

Thanks shlby66. . .yes Phil is truely a REAL nice guy. When I first met him personally, instantly a friendship was struck. This is true for anyone with the same automotive enthusiasm who meets him. I first heard of Phil by my being a member of SAAC. Five years ago I called him and we chatted on wheel fitment for my car. But it was until three months ago that I finally decided to go check out his shop, to look at the wheels, and to meet him. His shop is only ten miles from my office. I wish I had met him personally five years ago. Not only is his shop like a candy store for us "kids" but he is full of information that he likes to share. Once you leave his shop, he welcomes you back anytime. . .a real nice guy.

As for tires, I hear you. V or Z rated 235/60s are rare or nonexistent. I pondered the question of what will I do when the Yokohamas are worn. The non-DOT Blue Streaks came to mind as well. If you find some other tire alternatives besides BFGs, I'd like to hear from you.

11. KensKR

KensKR Well-Known Member

6t5 I thought your car was perfect with the Torque Thrust D's. But you've taken your car to a new level with the PS wheels. I't unbelieveable.
    Kenny

12. 6t5

6t5 Member

Thanks Kenny. It's amazing how the differences in the details of two similar wheel designs make a BIG difference. I looked at Vintage Wheel Works versions (40 and 45) of the Torque Thruster. But they too did not emulate the original magnesium Torque Thrusters, nor do they have the precise offset to fit perfectly. ---Phil's wheels were the only ones that got my blood boiling.

13. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

6T5,
    Your wheels and car look magnificent!
    I can't see from the pictures you have posted the details of the hub. To cut the small ford bolt pattern into the "old" wheels the broach also cut into the hub to make room for the washer that went underneath the lug nut.. It was a real pain to try and polish that area because of the gray paint/bare magnesium contact.. (sharp line).. Do you know how much your wheels weigh??
    jimbo

14. 6t5

6t5 Member

Excellent question, albeit also an important question to those who seek low rotational mass for better performance, regarding the wheel's weight. I don't know their weight and it wasn't a factor when I decided to get a set made. They are definitely heavier than American Racing's 15x7 Torque Thrusts. A call to Phil and he will give you all the info you would ever want on these wheels.