Join Shelby Forums Today

Why do these eBay marketers keep putting the same Shelby up...

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by J.Bailey, Jun 16, 2005.

1. J.Bailey

J.Bailey Well-Known Member

for auction month after month when the bids never meet their reserve? Can anybody explain that to me? The white '68 G.T.500 that was bid up tp $200,000 last month is back and it jumped up to $175,000 in the first three days. Now no one has bid on it in 3 days. What do these sellers hope to accomplish? What don't I understand about their gameplan? Car buyers will pay $210,000 as the top price in May but in June, 30 days later, they'll pay $250,000!?!? Does this make sense to anybody out there?

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

I find it ridiculous too. Same cars with the same high reserves. I don't know much about the eBay fees or rules for listing cars, but I do get tired of seeing auction after auction with "Reserve Not Met" and the car pops up again next week. There should be some sort of penalty for listing again and again. (and there might be, I just don't know) Of course, I'm not going to buy one from eBay so why should I care? I just like to see what they sell for and lately, many of them don't sell.

3. J.Bailey

Does anybody know if there is a fee for listing a ....

car week after week without selling? Seems to me that the management at eBay would do something to discourage that type of marketing pattern.

4. Early67

Early67 Well-Known Member

With such high reserves, I don't think they're truly trying to sell, except for some pie in the sky price. ie, looking for a bonafide fool.

OTOH, if they're looking to see how high it'll go, I'd suggest they list only once. Rarely, will subsequent listings' bids go higher.

5. J.Bailey

If you want to see how high your car can go would....

you not be better off to haul it to a Barrett-Jackson auction and watch a bunch of drunken fools beat each other to death with their billfolds?

6. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

I think these folks need to make a real killing. Because about 6 months after they pay that kind of money, another one will go for even more, and they'll feel like they missed getting more cash. Because all too often, with these nitwits, it isn't about owning a car, it's about how much they got for it.

Penalty? How about paying for the listing fees? It ads up, and Ebay just loves it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  7. doc

doc Well-Known Member

Don't belive everything you see on Ebay. There is some smoke and mirrors stuff going on when you see cars bidded to riduculous high levels and still not meet the Reserve. Shilling is a factor and it happens a lot on Ebay. It is not a rumor but a fact !! There is another dark side to this picture. How about the seller contacting the highest bidder and negotiating a deal after the car doesn't hit the Reserve but is close enought that the seller is willing to cut Ebay out of the picture and do his own deal? Think about it! For a small listing fee he gets to screen the highest bid and cut a deal without paying a commission. Furthermore he is away from the prying eyes of the IRS and other scrtunizing tax agents who want a piece of the take. It is just a matter of time before somebody gets nailed and I guarentee it will happen.

With regards to the same car showing up over and over again, the seller is waiting to hit that number where he is ready to make the move. I belive Ebay gives the seller a break on re-listing if it doesn't sell so he really has nothing to lose. If you are in the market for a Shelby, Ebay would a great place to look but beware of the games and the risks of dealing with things you cannot see or touch. As these cars increase in value so does the opportunuity for counterfiets, re-bodies and barnyard finds.

Doc :cool:

8. J.Bailey

OK, please help me again. What is "shilling"? Thanks.nm

Thanks,nm

9. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

Re: OK, please help me again. What is "shilling"? Thanks.nm

It is a non-legitimate bid. Either the owner or some accomplice bids up the item to make legitimate bidders think the item is worth more.

10. jbsteven

jbsteven Well-Known Member

Re: Does anybody know if there is a fee for listing a ....

Ebay makes their fees on items being listed (and sold). Why would ebay care if a item does not sell and then relisted?

I own a passport and birth certificate expediting service and if someone sends me a order for a birth certificate every week I am not going to tell him to stop sending them. :rolleyes:

11. J.Bailey

Well, the bidding ended and the car still has not....

sold. It was bid up to $210,000 a month ago and today it ended at $198,300 but the reserve was not met once again. So when do you guys think that it will be on eBay again?

12. Early67

Early67 Well-Known Member

Re: Well, the bidding ended and the car still has not....

Just like I mentioned....the high bid on the 2nd go-round was less. I didn't even check who bid what on either of the two listings, but apparently, the bidders weren't interested in going past the previous high. If it goes for a third listing, I'm betting the high bid will be even lower, barring some shiller.

13. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

every Car forum I have ever been on discusses eBay auctions. let's face it, The Car gets great exposure for $45.00 Dollars. put an insane Reserve on the car and offer it to the Highest bidder after the Auction ends is the most likely scenario that occurs. the sad fact is that the people who cherished these cars for years are having to sell them as the Value is so high that Life priorities put you in the awkward position of "Time to Sell"! I believe that a Majority of Cars on the open Market are all owned by Dealers who may or may not have a Good Car that they picked up from a longtime owner. The Changing of the Guard so to speak. Now they become play toys of the Rich and Wealthy. which is not always a bad thing!