Join Shelby Forums Today

Who speaks Kelsey Hayes?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by hamiltoncox, Nov 17, 2008.

1. hamiltoncox

hamiltoncox Member

I am trying to translate my steel wheels. One has the following inf on the inside:
    On top:
    KE LS EY CA NA DA (OK, that's obvious)
    and below:
    N 6 JJ 4 18 A1 (AL?) .. K2/7

on the opposite side:
    KE on top, N below

On one side of the valve:
    K2/7 4
    and then:
    19 E1

and on the bolt face:

K2/7 Ford in oval H 4 TC

I have seen web sites for Camaros and Vettes that translate their wheel codes, any Shelby guys good at KH-speak?

2. rickmustang

rickmustang Member

3. hamiltoncox

hamiltoncox Member

Thanks. Saw that site in my Google search. The claim made there is that sometime in Dec. '67 KH started putting dates by the valve stem. My wheels have the dates by the stem and they are dated April '67. Makes me wonder about the veracity of the info there.

On the Camaro/Vette/Mopar sites, they list comprehensive codes for wheel size and application used by KH. I assumed someone in the Mustang/Shelby community might have similar information.

4. Shelby1968

Shelby1968 Member

What size are the wheels?

Scott

5. hamiltoncox

hamiltoncox Member

15x6. I gather from the Mopar and GM sites that "JJ" is industry speak for a type of wheel. Oddly, my other wheels are marked "JK". Also, again from the other sites, I glean that the hub was made on April 18, 1967 and the wheel was assembled April 19. Apparently, for GM and Mopar KH had a two letter code that indicated which wheel went with each model. I would imagine KH had something similar for Ford. What is perplexing is that although my wheels are made in the same time frame they have different methods of stamping the info.

6. Shelby1968

Shelby1968 Member

Does the wheel measure 7-inches across? That's what my 15x6 Shelby steel wheels measure.

Scott

7. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Not likely especially considering that wheel was not specifically designed for Shelby apps.

8. hamiltoncox

hamiltoncox Member

7" outside edge to edge/6" inside bead.

Example for Camaro - AD indicates 15x7 JJ Rally Z/28; AO = 14x7 SS Super sport; FC = 14x6 JK Base, etc. On the wheel I am looking at there is a two letter code on the bolt face "TC". That is Kelsey Hayes code for something. I know these wheels are not Shelby specific, just thought the group mind would know the Ford/Kelsey Hayes codes. Apparently not.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  9. Shelby1968

Shelby1968 Member

hamiltoncox,

I'm not sure what the wheel is that you have. It's clearly a Ford wheel from Canada but I'm not sure what the application is. I'm the one that posted information on Shelby steel wheels on the other site (see below). I've never seen a wheel like yours that was on a Shelby Mustang. Maybe yours is a different application or my information is not complete or accurate. But what I've seen on Shelbys has been very consistent up to now. Are you sure your wheels are original to your car?

Here's what I posted on another site.

hamiltoncox sent me some pictures of the wheel in question, and it is clearly stamped "Ford". All my 1967/1968 wheels are stamped "FoMoCo". I didn't think Ford started stamping things "Ford" until 1969. Anyone know?

Scott

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  10. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Scott,
    I've seen Ford on 68 wheels. Let me go check a couple I have........be right back.
    OK I'm back. I thought it was Ford in the oval but you are correct, it is FoMoCo in the oval. Here's one I know is original wheel,
    center by hub-FoMoCo in oval, 20, C
    left of stem K2 over 8, 6
    right of stem 0, 6
    inner circumference KELSEY HAYES CANADA 6 D O then something in a circle
    below that 15 X 6 J J, 20 K2 over 8

I also believe some early cars had wheels supplied by Motor Wheel Corp. These are the ones with the month and year in the middle separated by the letter M
    Tim

11. Shelby1968

Shelby1968 Member

Here's what I'm thinking. If the wheel says "Ford" then it can't be from 1967. Maybe from 1977. Need to hear from some more people with 1967 Shelbys though.

Scott

12. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

IIRC the 67 version have 3 "nubs" in the center (the part that would hold the dog dish) and 68s have 4. The 68 wheel is under part # C8AZ 1007 B