Join Shelby Forums Today

What to do? Shelby VIN tag.

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by PonySnake, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Real 65

Real 65 Well-Known Member

I would take the Shelby VIN plate off for sure if the car was going to the paint or restoration shop. I had an early 66 Shelby restored in 1988 and the guy in charge stoled my original VIN plate for his "collection". I wasn't aware he did this to every Shelby he restored or worked on-even an original FIA Cobra!
    A friend of mine later told me he saw mine, and quite a few other original Shelby VIN plates, in the guy's sock drawer at home. :mad:

2. sparky427

sparky427 Member

Hi 5s284 i just won the california Lotto and have been looking for an original shelby that never had the vin tag removed. i would like to buy your car remove the tag and make pendent out of it so i can rear it around my neck!
    this would be soooo kool! how much?:doh:

3. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

DENNIS:

REMOVE the Tag!!!! And do it before that car gets out of your sight. My car went to the sandblaster and let me tell ya, those guys could care less what they blast. I "taped" an area off that I didnt want blasted, well it got blasted anyway. When they blast they can hardly see with all the dust being made so your tag will get destroyed. When I dropped my car off it was immediatly surrounded by car guys and the first place they went to look on the car was the spot where the Shelby tag was to see if it was real. Now just think if the tag was there and the shop had an employee that was bad news and decided after hours to steal the tag? It would be to bad to sad for me.
    So hopefully this helps you decide to REMOVE THE TAG.
    Heres a pic of my car being blasted by a southern boy who could car less where his blaster gun goes...look at the dust cloud...

Jim

Attached Files:

4. 67200F5A02206

67200F5A02206 Well-Known Member

Let's see, what would reduce the value of your car more: removing the "original" rivets or having the tag damaged/lost during restoration?

Hmmm.......

As for "my car is real and nobody will every have to remove the tag to prove it" - yeah, right. If I'm paying for a Shelby it darn well is having the tag removed or no deal. Verifying the stampings from underneath is hit or miss - sometimes they are readable and sometimes not. And they may have been restamped (accident damage?) and you could only tell from above.

5. PonySnake

PonySnake Active Member

Thanks to all for the info and advice. I do think I will carefully remove and store the original tag - although I certainly appreciated the effort Hov described in keeping his intact. I'll be sure to get the AMK rivets and I look forward to the day I can put it back on.
    Dennis

6. Joe Sikora

Joe Sikora Active Member

It is a felony to remove a VIN tag, for honorable purposes or othewise. Do not remove the VIN tag!

7. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Joe first of all a lot of States don't recognize the Shelby VIN tag as the original VIN so removing it wouldn't fall under the definition. They go by the Ford VIN. The Ford VIN is the one where it is considered a felony and is ALWAYS considered a no no to tamper with almost under any circumstances. The Shelby tags are removed all the time during restoration no crime no foul. It could be argued ether way. If some kind of fraud was suspected or proven removing the Shelby VIN tag certainly could be used against someone. The vast majority of law inforcement are reasonable enough to use good judgement in issues like restorations and consider the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law were the Shelby tag is concerned.

8. tommyleea

tommyleea Well-Known Member

What's he doing in his sock drawer. I couldn't see my complete VIN on my 66 by removing just one rivet. Sent in the VIN to get it verified, and they said I was short some digits. Had to remove tag completely. Cheers.

Tommy

9. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

I would Not remove the Shelby Vin# tags on any of the Shelbys I've owned.

First, by loosening, and lifting up ( very carefully ) the passenger side fender, you can see The Ford Vin #. Done it numerous times. Called SAAC and verified it with them. ( Or get a reverse rendering from underneth )

Second, technically, removing a Vin Tag will get you put you in the penality
    box with most States DMV if the question should come up.

Thirdly, most State Highway Patrols carry a Vin Tag # identifier booklet
    with actual ( in color ) pictures of all Manfacturers automotive/truck
    Vin Tags. I've seen it.

On a lot of restorations, there is very little or nothing left that is original
    to the car except the Shelby tag. I suggest, leave it alone.

I for one, will not remove "one" rivet just to "see" the Ford #. You cannot
    believe the the horrible happenings that occurred from just that, by the
    California DMV, including impounding the car! Luckily, I was able to get
    things squared away; after numerous meetings and a lot of expense.

You can do as you please; as it is your car and you can proceed as you may.
    However, you may wish to think this one through very carefully.

10. Joe Sikora

Joe Sikora Active Member

Thank you for posting, Bob. I did not realize that the Shelby ID tag was not used for vehicle identification on all cars in all States. The legality of removing the ID tag must then be taken on a case by case basis depending on what number is actually used for registration purposes of a particular car in a particular State. If the Shelby ID tag is simply a historically significant tag on a car registered by a different VIN, the tag would not be considered a VIN plate, and I agree there would be no legal concerns about removing it. In Virginia, my Shelby is titled as a ‘Shelby” and is registered by the number on the Shelby ID tag. The tag is the car's VIN plate and cannot be removed. My personal advice: In the gray world of cars hovering in the 300K$ range, with plenty of date code correct Mustang rebody donors, and undetectably correct rivets, tags and font VIN stamps, even if the ID tag is not used for vehicle registration on a particular car, it's probably not wise to separate tag from car for any reason.

As a side note, my car has the Ford Special Performance Vehicle tag in the door jam which is not used for vehicle identification. There would be no problem with removing or replacing this tag.

[​IMG]

11. fordcore

fordcore Member

I would not remove an original VIN tag that has never been off the Shelby. It's so easy to remove a few bolts from the fenders and check the Ford VIN and also check the engine if it has the original engine#. I had a 65 Shelby that was very original, SFM5S368, the tag was very original with the original rivets. When I detailed the engine comparment I covererd the tag with heavy cardboard and tape and it turned out great. So few Shelbys have not have their tags removed that its rare to see an original that hasn't been tampered with. It's one of the most important parts of the car.

12. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

you don't have to remove the shelby vin tag to show the ford vin. just loosen the passenger fender and slide it forward to expose the ford vin on the passenger side. btw, I come down on the side of leaving the tag in place, forever.

Z. Ray

13. sharpe427

sharpe427 Well-Known Member

Leave the tag in place and cover it with another piece of metal to protect it. If you're worried about theft, find another shop to do the work!

14. 67200F5A02206

67200F5A02206 Well-Known Member

Sorry to be so blunt but it would be just plain stupid to leave the original tag on there while the car is out of your possession. Any restoration shop is going to have people coming and going (they have other customers, remember?) and it only takes a few seconds to drill/pry the tag off of there.

As stated, replaced rivets are far better than a damaged/stolen tag.

I realize the legal aspect of it but you can NEVER replace the original tag. I had a 68.5 CJ vert done. Even though it was "illegal" I removed the windshield VIN tag before sending the car to the body shop. If I lost that I would have been screwed because nobody makes them.

Once you judge the potential risk vs. the "original" rivets I think that the decision is easy. Besides, how do you KNOW that the rivets are original? Have you owned the car since day one? Can you prove that they are original? If you can't then it's just a moot point isn't it?

15. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

All your points are well taken, but I would still come down on the side of leaving it in place. I've been called worse than stupid, so that doesn't bother me.

It helps to have a restoration shop you can trust to have some security so bits of your car aren't pried off. If you lack that confidence in your restoration shop, go elsewhere. Of course anything can happen to any possession, anywhere, so lets all be very afraid...

Z. Ray

16. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

I'm with you.

Z. Ray

17. fordcore

fordcore Member

It's interesting to see how nasty some forum members get when they feel they have to prove a point. You would have to be a moron to leave your treasured, pricless Shelby or whatever at a shop that dosen't keep a close look out when doing repairs or restoration. Of course there are low lifes out there who are constantly looking for that opportunity to steel someones VIN plate. Call me stupid or any other name but If my car is very rare with the original VIN tag, unmolested from original I will inform the owner doing any repairs to keep a close check on my car. If he acts like your imposing on him go elsewere. Why attack someones personnel opinion unless they feel quilty about their own VIN tag. Once it is tampered with I would always have a question about it's authenticity. Of course I have seen many Shelbys with repro tags and original tags that have been removed and reinstalled. I don't think that all of those cars are fakes, infact I feel that most are probably legitimate, genuine Shelbys. My only problem with this issue is that I would not consider a Shelby with a repro tag worth the same value as an original. If it has the original tag but has been removed and reinstalled I don't think it should hurt the value that much but an original untampered VIN tag in my oppinion will always be the most desirable and most valuable. Sorry if this upsets some people.

18. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

When I did my engine compartment, I removed the tag and re-riveted it on. As far as someone stealing it, I don't know about you, but my car is never out of my sight. I really miss the old days when I could drive it anywhere, park and leave it an the most I had to worry about was someone stealing the hood pins. That actually happened. The VIN number tag would not be a simple steal, and there are other things way more valuable that could be removed much easier.