Join Shelby Forums Today

What should I do?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Texas GT350, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Texas GT350

Texas GT350 Well-Known Member

Thinking about selling Holley 4100 and Shelby Steering Wheel

As you all know my 1966 is a GT-350 clone, a very good clone done in the early 70's (around 1972 I believe). It has many of the original Shelby parts, like a 3 wire tach, etc.

My question is this, it has the original wood steering wheel and horn button in very good shape and I have the original Shelby carburetor used on the 1966 Shelby GT-350, should I sell them and put a reproduction steering wheel (like the plastic one that would have been used on the factory cars)? I am now using a Holley carburetor so know change there. The original carburetor has been rebuilt and ready to go (as far as I know).

If it would be better to sell them, what would they be worth? I can supply pictures if that will help.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. Texas GT350

Thinking about selling Holley 4100 and Shelby Steering Wheel

Here are some pictures that I took of the carb and steering wheel:

Attached Files:

3. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

what is the date code on the carb ?

Z. Ray

p.s. please check your PM

4. SFM6S087

SFM6S087 Well-Known Member

Re: Thinking about selling Holley 4100 and Shelby Steering Wheel

Texas, tell us your goal for these possible changes. Are you trying to get closer to correct 1966 GT350 for your car? Maybe just being a good guy and making some nice parts available to owners of original cars? Or possibly looking at getting a few dollars out of those parts and replacing with something less expensive? You’ll get more appropriate suggestions if we know where you’re headed with this.

Steve

5. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Texas GT350,

It looks to me like that carburetor is a reissue of the original. The telling point is the accelerator shooter boss between the secondary venturis. That is something the originals did not come with.

Keep the parts or sell them? I think you should do whatever matches your goals for the car.

6. Texas GT350

Good questions, I bought the car to be a driver, the wood steering wheel is nice for shows but I would rather not use it for my purpose. On the carb it came with the car, the Holley that is on the car again serves my purpose, the 4100 came in a box (along with 3 boxes of parts the pervious owner had). Like me he did not know much about the actual parts that were on the car, he was told by the original owner that they were from an original 1966 Shelby GT-350 but now I am not sure about the carb as you can read in the post after yours that something about the venturi's does not look right.

I am not trying to scam anyone and if the carb and the steering wheel are not original (a reproduction) I would not sell them, instead I would leave the carb in the box and forget about it. As for the steering wheel I would probably just keep using it too. If by chance if either is an original I would like them to go to someone that can use them on an original car.
    With that being said I would still like to sell them for market value as that seems fair.

7. Texas GT350

I would not know where to look, I glanced over the carb when I took the pictures but did not see anything that looked like a date.

8. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

the date code number will be on the air horn. here is a link to a photo of mine. the last line is the date code, in my case it is 713. It should be 3 digits. If it is a 4 digit code, the carb will not be worth as much.

[​IMG]

Z.

9. SFM6S087

SFM6S087 Well-Known Member

Texas, I kind of figured that but wanted to be sure. You've been a really nice guy on the forum and I want to be sure you get the advice that's best for YOU - not someone who may stumble on this thread and try to take advantage of you.

Now that I'm sure we're on the same page here's what I suggest. Research the wood wheel for originality. If you don't get the answers you need here try over at the SAAC forum. Be prepared to post detailed pics and answer multiple questions. All that will be worth it if your wheel turns out to be of the correct type. Be aware that there were several sizes & types of wood wheels used in Shelbys over the production years. Leave no stone unturned to see if yours matches one of them. If it does the value goes up dramatically.

Do the same kind of research for your carb.

After figuring out exactly what you have you will be better able to establish a reasonable price.

If you decide to sell the steering wheel, replace it with a good 65-66 Mustang simulated wood grain steering wheel and horn hardware. Use original parts if you can find them, but repo would suffice. Try to find a GT350 steering wheel center cap. It's the same basic chrome hardware as the Mustang part, but has a cobra with GT350 instead of the Mustang stuff in the center. It will look really cool on your car, and will be exactly what original 1966 GT350's came with.

Hope this helps,
    Steve