Join Shelby Forums Today

What Did I Just See?

Discussion in 'Open Community Forum' started by 2007GT500, May 15, 2005.

1. 2007GT500

2007GT500 Well-Known Member

I was walking down the street this evening and I see this Mustang from what looks like the late 60’s behind a fence, in the shadows. Here's what I can recall:

It was blue with a white stripe running down the side of the car, not on the lower portion but the middle. Now this stripe said GT/CS on the scoop between the doors and rear wheels. It also had scoops on the hood, not cowl type but the type that release air build-up from under the hood like the new GT500's scoops. It all looked stock and was definitely not some backyard hack job. What I found odd was no clear markings of GT350 or GT500, just GT/CS.

What was I looking at? :confused:

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  2. Bish

Bish Active Member

3. 2007GT500

Ah, yes. I totally forgot about the California Special. :doh:

4. Mustanglvr_GTCS

Mustanglvr_GTCS Member

I would like to know if the scoops on the hood of the GT/CS you saw were just the openings for the blinker lights or if you feel the scoop and/or scoops were actual air induction into the engine? Were they open facing toward the front of the car or open facing toward the back of the car? If they were non-functional scoops for the blinker lights (facing toward the back) then it is your typical 1968 GT/CS California Special Mustang. It could be a T code and have a 200 1V inline 6 cyl., a C code 289 2V, a J code 302 4V or an X code 390 2V,or S code 390 4V(both also very rare). Now, if it had an original, functional hood scoop on it then it most probably is an R code GT/CS with a 428 Cobra Jet engine. Which means it is already very rare being a GT/CS, but being an R code, then it is exceptionally rare and worth some big bucks. If the functional scoop is not original to the car then it is just a modified GT/CS and/or clone. I am most interested in this car and would appreciate it if you could find out more info on it for me. Find out if its for sale and if the guy knows if it is a true GT/CS. There may be a generous reward for finding a rare car like this.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  5. jbsteven

jbsteven Well-Known Member

x code is a 390 2v

here is a s code CS (mine)

[​IMG]

6. Mustanglvr_GTCS

Mustanglvr_GTCS Member

I just realized that Jason and came back now to fix it. :doh:

7. Kickstand

Kickstand Well-Known Member

Would a C code be the last year of a 289? Is it less vaulable

8. Mustanglvr_GTCS

Mustanglvr_GTCS Member

A C in the vin number represents a 289 2V. 1967 was the last year for the 289 4V. In 1968 they came out with the 302 to replace the 289 4V. But they still had 289 2V`s. There were many California Specials with 289 2V`s and 302`s. Mine originally had a 200 1V inline 6 cyl. and there were only 130 of those produced of the 3,867 California Specials made. That makes it rare, but these days buyers are more likely to want the ones that came originally with the big block engines. Jason (JbSteven) will correct me if I`m wrong. We are both members of www.californiaspecial.com and I can safely say, we both live and breathe these cars, along with many other members.

9. jbsteven

all seems good on stats above this post. :thumbsup:

10. Kickstand

There is one for sale near me that Im very interested in.It needs some work but very original
    Dave

11. jbsteven

post pics, options and condition maybe we can give a ballpark value.

12. Kickstand

Ithink you already know about it. Its on ebay (decent find) Are we going to be bidding against each other? What do you think its worth?
    Dave

13. jbsteven

I won't be bidding I have 2 right now anyway.

14. 2007GT500

Sorry for a delayed reply, I was on a quick little vacation for the last week B).

I really don't remember much about this car other than what I posted. I've walked by this particular parking lot a few times since my original post (May 15th) but have yet to see the car again. However, if I do come across the car again, I'll be sure to do a little more investigative work and maybe put a card with my number on it in the window.

15. Mustanglvr_GTCS

Mustanglvr_GTCS Member