Join Shelby Forums Today

The Making of a 1967 Shelby GT500E Supersnake Convertible

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mherman2, May 16, 2006.

1. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for understanding!!!

2. mherman2

Thanks 65gtfastback.

All, keep in mind these guys are building 500 of these GT500 E's and 75 Supersnakes. In 1967 Ford and Shelby put 2048 GT500's combined. These guys are doing 25% of that volume on their own without Fords help.

Shelby American got mint cars from the factory, these guys get cars that have been sitting for years that need to be totally stripped down. It's no small undertaking.

Check my car below when it came in, I was like, "I paid what for this!!!!!!!!" Pretty cool transformation.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.herman/SupersnakeBuild

Mike

Mike

3. mherman2

Stephen, I know you have been around the hobby/sport for a long time and have a lot of knowledge on Shelby's. I started this thread because many people expressed interest in watching how Unique builds these cars. The thread has over 1500 views so there is certainly some interest out there.

I would appreciate if you would either remain silent or be encouraging with your comments. People want to see the car be built and ask a few questions and that is all this is for.

Mike

4. stephen_becker

stephen_becker Well-Known Member

o.k. - I am going to honor your request. I sincerly hope you get your car and it is everything you hope it to be. :)

Stephen

5. 67Bugzaper

67Bugzaper Active Member

Man Mike. You've got to be the most patient guy in the world. You'd be better off getting your deposit back and then go out and buy a Ford GT. Heck, you'd even be able to put some money back into your pockets. Then, you can number it 1 of ?.

6. 67SuperSnake

67SuperSnake Member

Mike did you get your car by the 4th?

Just stopped raining here is S Texas. Rained every day (at least some part of the day) for 40 days straight. Either way, here are some finished pictures of my Super Snake, and a video of the dyno run. Still got some tuning to do, but fwhp= @725.

Dyno Run Video

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue hoses are only temporary..

[​IMG]

7. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

As I recall last year you guys were begging for rain!! maybe now that your car is done they can finish Mikes!! your car is sharp! and I would be proud to have it in my collection for sure! good luck with it and keep us posted on the break in process.:thumbsup:

8. mherman2

9. 67SuperSnake

67SuperSnake Member

Below is an article I found:

SHELBY THREATENS LICENSEE WITH TERMINATION
    Unique Performance Inc. will lose its license from Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc. to produce high- performance cars if Unique does not satisfy customer complaints. Shelby Licensing says Unique has a backlog of 50 to 60 vehicles. (Photo --- Shelby Super Snake at the Shelby Cars Las Vegas production facility).

Since 2002, Unique, headquartered near Dallas, has partnered with former race car driver Carroll Shelby to refurbish and re-engineer vintage Shelby Mustangs of the 1960s. The cars include the GT500E Eleanor and the GT350SR, which sell from about $100,000 to more than $200,000.

But in a letter to Unique CEO Douglas Hasty, Shelby Licensing threatens to end the license agreement. Shelby Licensing says Unique has failed to deliver vehicles and return deposits totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars. Hasty declined to comment.

Customers have filed lawsuits against Unique. For instance, in a Sept. 4 lawsuit filed in federal court in Texas, Robert Garner contends he signed an agreement with Unique in May 2005 for the purchase of a $189,000 GT500E Super Snake with a deposit of $94,500. In May 2006, he made another deposit of $47,250. To date, Garner has no car and says Unique has refused to return his deposits.

Another federal suit, filed Sept. 18 in Texas by Alan Cummins, alleges that he bought a defective Super Snake in August 2004 from Unique for $188,300 and that Unique has neither repaired the vehicle nor returned the plaintiff's money. Cummins' lawsuit says it may add Carroll Shelby as a defendant because Shelby endorses the vehicles made by Unique.

In a press release, Shelby Licensing President John Luft said: "Carroll Shelby Licensing has had no choice but to give Unique notice that its license agreements with Shelby are subject to termination. We, as the licensor, must carry the burden of protecting the good will associated with the Shelby brand."

Besides the Shelby vehicles, Unique also manufactures vehicles designed by car customizer Chip Foose -- including a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro, 1970 Dodge Challenger and the Foose Stallion, based on the current Mustang.

Source by "THE CAR NUT" --- AWARD-WINNING AUTOMOTIVE JOURNALIST STEVE PARKER'S WEBSITE

10. mherman2

I am working on dates with them and hoping for very soon. My is in front of the line. I feel bad they were basically overwhelmed with orders, had some re-designs to make the cars run cooler etc...

I think all car that add to the hobby are a bonus, the people that hope people fail or like to see them fail, are usually miserable people themselves.

I don't think Unique started the business thinking the orders would come as fast as they did, now they are playing catch up and people are jumping on a negative bad wagon.

I hope to get my car soon, if I don't then I hope to resolve the issue without a bunch of negativity.

Mike

11. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

12. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

Mike - the warm San Diego sun has really made you a pretty easy going guy...i figured it was the sun and the yoga studios in La Jolla that have added to your sunny disposition. I might/would have gotten a little angry at this point. Good for you...dont let Unique Performance or others rain on your parade!

13. mherman2

I filed suit a while back, sounds like a mess down there. Thanks for the support, I hope I can recoup some of the money, gonna be a long road.

Mike

14. markboss

markboss Well-Known Member

I hope you get your money back...best wishes!!

15. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Man that sucks......to be that close to owning a dream car and finding out that it is just that, a dream (now a bad dream). I am sorry for what happened, I was hoping to see the finished pics with you grinning from ear to ear. I hope it works out for you. Maybe Shelby can help out and finish the Car for you.
    David.

16. CobraMan

CobraMan Member

17. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

Mike,
    I'd just like to say that you've carried yourself with great deal of poise and decorum on this forum, and you should be commended for that. I admire your patience and self control in dealing with some downright atrocious attacks from other members of the forum. Attacks on your IQ are ridiculous and completely uncalled for (and must be false... I don't know many businessmen who have been so successful as to afford the luxuries you have with an IQ of 10!). Frankly I'm sometimes ashamed of what goes on in these forums, and I would hope that the members would spend a little more time thinking about the implications of their statements prior to writing them. I'm very sorry to hear your Unique car isn't going to work out, but I think the way you handled the situation thus far is spot on. I've always had far more luck resolving situations such as yours by treating people with respect. Flying off the handle is not a great motivator, as you must know.

I just wanted to tell you that I have a lot of respect for the way you've handled this situation and even more so for the high level of class you've exhibited in showing restraint when dealing with some of the members of this forum. I'd like to apologize for those that aren't big enough to do it themselves (maybe they were picked on in grade school? By a guy that drove a '67 convertible? I dunno). You rock.

Josh

18. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Very Well Said Josh. I second that.
    David.

19. mherman2

Thanks fellas, I appreciate your kind words. People tend to put things down in emails or in forums they would never say face to face so I never take it too seriosuly. Afterall, it's just a car, there are others. Hopefully the car is completed by Shelby Autos or another company or it ends with a judgment in my favor. I can't say a whole lot about what's going on but I wish it was different than it was.

Thankfully I have two original Shelby's to enjoy, the KR has the engine out and it is being rebuilt, suppose to have it out here in San Diego by Christmas.

As for the Snake, not to have a play on words but I think it is going to have many twist and turns before the story ends one way or the other.

Let's figure this SAAC thing out, it threw me for a LOOP!!!!!!

20. mherman2

P.S. Per the earlier email, I took my sons pre-school IQ test and mine was higher than 10!

Right place right time, I'm just a average guy from the mid-west who worked for a little company that got big.

Mike