Join Shelby Forums Today

The Making of a 1967 Shelby GT500E Supersnake Convertible

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mherman2, May 16, 2006.

1. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

I got some updated Photos, they are telling me I will have it by July 4th. John Logan at Unique has been great to work with, on top of his stuff. They had some turnover and growing pains at UP but John has been great and very responsive.:thumbsup:

Attached Files:

2. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

Mherman2..You are a very patient guy. First it was going to be finished July 06, then Aug Sept 06, then Sept Oct 06, then before Christmas and now they are telling you 4th of July.....I think I would have someone by the shirt collar by now...:mad:

3. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

Mike, I am stunned and amazed at the lack of progress that has not happened over the last year. and for those of you who do not know Mike, This is the first time he has had a car custom built. Patience does get put to the test. apparently they have some real smooth talking SOB's down there!! during this process, he bought a 67 GT500 and it has been completely restored. meanwhile, back in Texas, they slowly sand Body filler using one sheet of 220 grit paper per week.:laf: just the way Carroll would do it. Now at his advanced age and declining health that is! or maybe they are waiting for him to drop by and finish the car himself?? OOOPSS wait, he cannot do his part yet. there is no Dash to sign!!:mad: maybe they will throw in a free oil change or radio upgrade to reward your patience. time to have the suits review the contract and find the part about how the car would be completed some time last year. this will make 2 major SAAC events you will miss with this car given the latest release date of this masterpiece!!:doh: time to get your money back and move forward with a couple more Original cars or a new one for that matter!! whatever you decide, you have my sympathy. oh and maybe change your signature line to read "1967 GT500E SuperSnake" Still only Half of 1 of 7 believed to someday be made. maybe.

4. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

Maybe forward them this thread so they can appreciate the great PR the slow build of you car is getting them. I would think anyone reading this thread and seeing how long the build is taking would think twice about ordering a car. Maybe this will prompt them to get it finished. I'm thinking the squeeky wheel gets the grease and there are probably a bunch of projects that show up and your car gets put on hold each time.

5. mherman2

I could one of two ways as I see it. I could be a total jerk and call them names and leave nasty messages or I could keep the communication open and work with them and be patient and understanding. If I totally lose it on them it is not going to get me the car any faster. If I work with them and work out some deals (free shipping to San Diego) then it is ok. The truth is that I just finished the garage where it is going anyway so it would have been stored up to this point.

Bottom line is they had a lot of turnover down there and now have someone I receive weekly emails from (John Logan). He has been great and the car is beiing built and they are trying to get it to me before July 4th.

I actually benefitted from waiting. They had some issues with the supercharged big blocks overheating. They had to redesign the pulley system and my car will have the new setup. The are putting out close to 800hp now.

Patience is a virtue. I have never gotten respect by tearing someone a new one.

Mike

6. SFM6S2015

SFM6S2015 Well-Known Member

Yes sir it is and a rare one at that. You have more than your fare share of patience!

Larry

7. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

Mike, I am an optimist myself and I like the points you brought up. you have a better handle on things than any of us as you are directly involved and we can only look at the situation from the sidelines. But I have to tell you, the view from here SUCKS!! and for what it is worth, you have an entitlement at this point to be a Total JERK and free shipping to San Diego would be just a start when the Freebie list gets started!! yes a good name for that care would be PATIENCE!!:thumbsup:

8. mherman2

When I am driving it and all the waiting is done I will hardly remember any of this. I won't be able to hear it anyway!!

:guitar:

9. GT500driver

GT500driver New Member

Keith Craft stops doing business with Unique Performance

I certainly hope you get your Super Snake. Keith Craft Motors (the builder of all the Super Snake and GT500E engines) has officially terminate their relationship with Unique Performance today. They have not built a Super Snake engine in over a year (actually May of last year I believe). Unless UP has had your engine setting there since then, it will not be one built by Keith Craft.

10. mherman2

I am talking to them Thursday about a few other things so I will find out. I imagine someone else will be building the supercharged 427's. The 427 goes in all the GT500e's. The Supersnakes have a 200hp Vortec supercharger.

Mike

11. mherman2

Here are the most recent pictures from Unique Performance. I was down there last week, they flew me down and took me for a ride in a 750 hp Supersnake, oh my!!!

Anyway, my car goes to paint on Monday of next week and will look the other white and blue Snake that they had finished painting that I put in the pics below.

Also, good things come to those who wait. It looks like I will be getting the new fuel injection system they have been testing, holy horse power batman. Pushing 900hp with that option.

Here is the link the pics. Check out my car when it came in as a donor, they have done some great work.

My snake build:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.herman/SupersnakeBuild

Visit to Unique:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.herman/VisitToUniquePerformance

12. 67SuperSnake

67SuperSnake Member

I have built mine by hand and am finishing it within 2 weeks. One person, 16 months. You ordered yours before I ever started. I think your patience is exemplary, but is blind. When is enough... enough. Your car is just now getting sanded. I think those are the same pictures you posted a year ago. I do not want to be condescending, but come on.

By now, most people would be calling a lawyer. JMHO, and I could be wrong. hmmmmmmm

Your words

July 06, Sept or early Oct 06, mid Dec 06, Jan 07, Apr, June, July 04 2007, Aug, Sept, Dec 07, Jan, June, Dec 08, Jan, Dec 09, Jan, Dec10. Don't let your wants lead you blind. Most people here do not want to say the obvious.

Edit: Their part supply division has shut down!

13. mherman2

I have two original Shelby's and I have been having those restored and I have been finding original and NOS parts for them where needed, plenty busy on Shelby Stuff.

The car did sit for a while they sorted out some early design issues but it is now at the main facility as of yesterday. By waiting I am getting fuel injection, a new cooling system, larger fuel tank, and free shipping here to San Diego amongst many other new developments and improvements. I have a life time to enjoy the car. In my experience getting lawyers involved creates ill will, slows things down and leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth, no bueno all the way around. They have been great communicating with me the entire time and the car is moving along nicely.

I encourage anyone interested to go down there, they love showing people around and giving you a tour. Lot's of cool stuff in there, lots.

Congrats on finishing your car, show us some pics.

Mike

14. mherman2

Stephen:

You wrote the above post last August. Not sure why you changed your tune but man, that's a little two faced if you ask me.

They have treated me great and kept me informed the whole time. Why would I treat them like crap? So my car is coming a lot later than I thought, who cares? I am in no rush, I have two original Shelby's to keep me plenty busy. I end up getting a better car by waiting.

As you said, he will bend over backwards to keep his customers happy and he has. I spent 30 mins with him last week, he is a great guy and has done a great job making great cars from almost nothing (donor cars).

I'm the guy in the passenger seat in the pics below. I chose white with blue lemans stripes by the way.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.herman/VisitToUniquePerformance

Mike

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  15. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Mike:
    There are many people on the forum who are non-believers. If I recall correctly, you were not taken seriously a few years ago when you signed on and said you wanted to buy a shelby. Well! You definately proved them wrong and hopefully will again.
    I also have a ton of patience and am not sure I would handle this situation much differently. Even though my personal experiences with UP haven't been the greatest and their good reputation is waning. ( UP - Are you listening? Let us hear YOUR story). In order to gauge your patience level can you share the down payment required by Unique Performance for this convertible?
    Enjoy your Shelbys',
    Len

16. stephen_becker

stephen_becker Well-Known Member

test

i just put up a reply and it disappeared

???

17. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

Some of you guys should have more grace and tact. This project may be going slow for him but his 67 500 was done 5 times faster than most shops. It all works out...

18. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Heck Man......if it were me, I wouldn't care if it took 3 years to build......IT IS 1 OF 7, not 1 of 7000.

19. mherman2

Hey Len,

I actually bought the rights to my car from a Jeweler who lives in Dallas. He was in line, they were sold out of Supersnakes and I worked out a deal with him and Unique. Since it was a private transaction I rather not disclose.

Call John Logan down at Unique I am sure he will tell you how they structure deals. I have a feeling each one is a little different depending on the car.

Mike