Join Shelby Forums Today

The Making of a 1967 Shelby GT500E Supersnake Convertible

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mherman2, May 16, 2006.

1. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

Hey there,

I thought I would start a thread and post pictures as I get them from Unique Performance. I ordered a 67' Supersnake Convertible that will be Wimbleton White with Guardsman Blue stripes.

They are only making 75 Supersnakes and 7 of those will be convertibles. This is car #SS048C. It is suppose to be completed in late July.

725 HP, 0-60 in 3.6. Should be fun to take the kids to school in at those speeds.

Also, I know there is only one original Supersnake and that belongs to Charley who is a member of this forum. This is a Shelby Continuation Car inspired by Charley's rare gem.

Regards,

Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  2. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the build with us!!:guitar:

3. jdamach1

jdamach1 Member

Yes, thanks for sharing. This will be a lot of fun to watch the progress of the build. In our local car show last February, Unique Performance brought the Foose Camaro and Stallion Mustang, the OCC Shelby Chopper and a Supersnake Convertible. I had the opportunity to check out the Supersnake in detail, what an incredible Mustang. You are one lucky man to be having that built. :thumbup:

4. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

Just curious, why do they cut the holes in the forward wall of the cowl? Do they change the interior vent locations so hot air stays out? If they block them off from the bottom I can see how this could be like a cowl induction...

5. mherman2

I am pretty sure to keep the heat out. It gets pretty warm with the supercharger in there. I will ask them and see what answer I get. I will let you know.

Mike

6. SFM6S2015

SFM6S2015 Well-Known Member

That dosen't look like Uniques shop. Are they farming out thier paint and body work now? Looks like whoever is doing it is doing a nice job. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Larry

7. mherman2

Unique sends their donor cars to Las Vegas for some of the initial body work. When the cars return to Texas, the have a location about 3 miles from the main shop where they both receive initial donor cars and also where they finish sheet metal before going to paint. I think this picture is out back of the sheet metal shop or maybe even in Las Vegas. They sent this to me, I didn't take the picture.

It's pretty amazing what they are able to do with some of the cars they get in. Most or all of those cars would never be driven again and would end up in junk yards.

Mike

8. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

I look forward to following the progress. Looks like a great start. :thumbsup:

9. 427camaro

427camaro Member

10. mherman2

She's coming along. Unique Performance sent me these a couple of weeks ago. Looks like late August or early September when it is done:

Attached Files:

11. Early67

Early67 Well-Known Member

One of those pics show a blue caddy with TX plates, so I'd tend to think it's in the lone star state.
    BTW, it truly does look like it's getting excellent preparation.

12. 67SuperSnake

67SuperSnake Member

Mike,
    Have you recieved any news on your GT500E Super Snake?

Also, what color did you decide on?

13. cobragt500

cobragt500 New Member

i wish you the best of luck-a good friend and customer of mine just recieved a gt500e from unique -it ran 70 miles before it broke down-i have been working on all of its problems for two weeks now-needless to say i am LESS THAN IMPRESSED- with the quailty of craftsmenship and overall produst-i advised my friend to return the car and get all his money back-:mad:

14. 67SuperSnake

67SuperSnake Member

If there is a problem with your friends car, are you sure that posting anything about your friends car on this forum is the correct thing to do?

I don't believe that advising your friend to "return the car and get all his money back" would be appropriate. "Breaking down" is a very general term. Any re-manufactured car will of course have its share of issues. I don't believe that anybody has rebuilt a car without issues. The re-manufacturer is relying on many suppliers providing a product that operates at 100%. Using your evaluation of the car I would expect thast you want everything to work properly the first time and never have any problems. I know of no situation where everything works 100%, even when working on a Shelby or any other automobile.

So I would guess, that your statement is predicated upon your dislike of the Carroll Shelby's authorization of yet another automobile, therefore you should dislike all Shelby recreations/authorizations/etc, or you are just trying to devalue Mikes decision to purchase a UP Super Snake.

Either way, I think that you wishing Mike "the best of luck" is desultory and insulting.

JMHO.

Jesus, I just hassled a guy who only posted 2 time. My bad. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  15. mherman2

Hey there,

The car will be ready at the end of September or early October.

I went with white with the guardsman blue racing stripes. I love that original look and my 67 GT500 is the same color. They do have some pretty sweet color choices but I like the original look.

As for the build quality, they do a great job and have great references. They asked me to put 100-150 miles on it before I ship it back to San Diego from Dallas.

I can't wait. I will send more pics soon.

Mike

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  16. 67SuperSnake

67SuperSnake Member

I think the cars look fantastic.

I have been thinking about doing some type of car build for over 5 years now. When I saw the Super Snake in person, I knew it was what I wanted. I am building it with all UP parts and the Shelby Aluminum S/C engine. Almost bolt for bolt.

Congratulations on your purchase of 1 of 7. It will certainly be a collectors item, and should be a fun ride!

17. stephen_becker

stephen_becker Well-Known Member

Your "buddy" should call Doug Hasty directly, at Unique. Doug will bend over back-wards to make his customers happy - I have never read or heard a cross word about Doug or his folks at the factory.

Even re-built it is STILL A 40 YEAR OLD CAR!! Buy a cell phone and get triple A plus and get on with it!!

:thumbup:

18. mherman2

Just talked to Unique on Friday, they are working on it and will send some pics soon. It will probably be mid-December before it is done. The have been a pleasure to work with.

Mike

19. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Where are those pics? :unsure: We want to see!!!

20. mherman2

They are working on it, car is slated for completion right before christmas. It's going to be Merry and very loud at my house. I will send pics hopefully this week.