Join Shelby Forums Today

The Greatest Mustang Ever, Unveiled at the LA Auto Show

Discussion in 'Shelby News Forum' started by rshelby, Nov 18, 2011.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

2013 Shelby GT500, the Greatest Mustang Ever

The 2013 Shelby GT500 was unveiled at the Los Angeles Auto Show with appearances by Carroll Shelby and Jim Farley of Ford. While Carroll's roots trace back to Texas, Los Angeles has been his home for the better part of the past 50 years, thus a fitting location to unveil the new Mustang.

Carroll proclaimed, "I think it's the greatest Mustang that's ever been built." While developed by Ford's special vehicles team, Carroll has been involved throughout the development of the car. Recently, Carroll spent several days testing the latest GT500 in Florida, and subsequently had high remarks regarding the 2013 GT500's performance.

At 650 horsepower, Ford engineers say that the 2013 GT500 has the most powerful production V-8 in the world and is capable of exceeding 200mph. In addition to the increased horsepower, the 2013 GT500 has several improvements over the 2012 GT500 that allow the car to top 200 mph, while the 2012 GT500 is electronically limited to 155 mph. The 2013 includes improvements to the brakes, cooling system, suspension, drivetrain, as well as styling updates including the front facia.

2. rdanzy

rdanzy New Member

What is meant by the cross-drilled block and heads?

3. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

What about the year 2012?

I would have thought a car unveiled in 2011 would be next
    year's model. Anyway I talked to the chief engineer of the new Shelby, Jamal Hameedi, there and he said with the changes in the pulley sizes and such the top speed is above 200 mph. I would like to see pictures of the high speed run to establish that speed such as there were with the Ford GT at Nardo.
    I was doubting that a car that big could go that fast but everyone I
    talked to said "If you have enough horsepoiwer, etc."

I think Ford bent Chevy out of shape because though they
    introduced the ZL1 Camaro I don't think they were claiming a top speed that high.

Anyway the horsepower race is back big time