Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby GT350 Engine Options

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by bullitt0955, Nov 24, 2007.

1. bullitt0955

bullitt0955 Member

ok I need the Shelby experts here: I am in the middle of getting a 1967 GT 350 4 speed with 82k original miles from the original owner. Everything seems to be exactly what it is suppose to be with the exception of what is under the hood-that will be a 390 cu. inch big block! The 89 year old owner insists it is how he ordered the car from the factory. But I always believed the right engine was the 289 H.O. Any comments on this? I anticipate some comments will be that it is not a real Shelby but for the money I am buying it for, it does not matter. Thanks guys and if I knew how, I would attach a picture of it.

2. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

Gt-350's were 289 HIPO's. Small blocks.
    Look on the passenger side fender right of the shock tower, there should be the Shelby serial number stamped into the inner fender apron. Should be a 13 digit number starting with "67...." That stamp should match the Shelby riveted fender tag on the driver side inner fender apron. When you get those numbers email Dave Mathews at SAAC for more info. 67registrar@saac.com

To Post a pic do this:

1) Reply to this thread
    2) Left click "paperclip" icon
    3) Left click "BROWSE"
    4) CHOOSE THE FILE OR FOLDER THE PICTURES ARE IN
    5) DOUBLE CLICK THAT FILE
    6) LEFT CLICK "UPLOAD"
    DONE

Hope it helps. Its a start anyway. I hope its a real one!
    Jim

3. bullitt0955

bullitt0955 Member

ok that is definitely a good start BUT what if the numbers DO match? What does that say about the 390 under the hood. The man swears that anyone was able to order a Shelby from the factory with any choice of engines. Anyway, I will not be able to respond again until tomorrow so have a good night and thanks for the response.

Attached Files:

4. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

maybe its a GT 500 with a 428 big block and hes just confused and lost his marbles. The pictures you posted clearly show 1968 Shelby body styling, not 1967. Everything about your pics say 68. The nose, hood, side markers, tail Lights.... The old guy isnt even clear about what year he has. Be wary.

Shelby production for 68 was the 302 GT350 AND THE 68 428 GT500. I never heard of any other allowable engine options. Unless someone else out there has?

Jim

5. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

I have the serial number for that car somehwere? It is in New Jersey as I recall, a bad neighboorhood. The car is a 68 and should have a 302 engine.

6. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Would be interested if you have a factory stamping of the VIN on the block ;)

Won't be holding my breath though

Lots of stories around these cars. Can't recall a single Shelby that didn't have some odd ball story told by an owner or someone that knew someone

7. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

its got the super rare high performance bumperettes.

8. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

WoW Looks to me like its a 68 not a 67!! I guess we can eliminate the 289 from the motor options

9. dc-dd

dc-dd Well-Known Member

The car is in Philadelphia I have looked at this car many times over the past 25 years the old guy hand paints the car every year HE paints over everything !!!!!! He wants way to much for the car it is rusted to death!!!!!
    It is a real 68 Shelby . Beware many attempts have been made to get this car the owner gets is enjoyment out of all the people pounding on his door everyday.
    Dominic

10. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

He is Not the original Owner either. last time I saw the car it was a 302 with Automatic. is this ebay Deal?? or do you not know a Big Block from a Small Block or Auto Trans??

11. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Ive got a 1968 GT500 with a FACTORY 427 for anyone who wants to wire me the small sum 250,000 site unseen! Its the only one ever made and it is completely unrestored and original. Never touched!!!!!!! dont mind what those 'experts' say.....I know i am right on this one. Oh....im also the original owner!!!!:thumbsup:;)
    Best Regards,
    Vern

12. bullitt0955

bullitt0955 Member

wow these are some interesting stories surrounding this car....a 1968 would make a lot more sense then a 67. But what would an old guy be doing switching a 302 auto to a 390 4 speed? He is 89 years old! :confused: And I am certainly knowlegdable enough to differentiate a small block vs. a big block and considering I have been racing manual trans muscle cars for 20 years, I can decifer a manual vs auto!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  13. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

My only advice it to take a knowledgeable expert with to look at the car. Since the car is in the philly area (from the pix it looks like it is parked in front of a philly row home) contact David Dalton or Dominic to give you an accurate picture of your purchase. They are two very good Shelby experts in your area. If not, "buyer beware" because if it looks 2 good to be true then usually it is....

14. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

Vern - post some pix...i would love to see this one...250 k sounds like a bargain...where do i wire my $$$$...LOL!

15. bullitt0955

bullitt0955 Member

thanks-I will keep you "posted"

16. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

He is just wrong -period. There was never an option to order engines from the factory. Most if not all of these cars were built by Ford before they were ever sold. The formula was a cookie cutter one. I know I have pictures of that car, I just need to find the computer I stashed them on.....

The old man is crazy :laf: :doh:

17. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Just wire your money through paypal.....vernon_estes@yahoo.com.
    Ill send you pix after the transaction is complete!!!!!!!:thumbsup: ;)
    Vern

18. bullitt0955

bullitt0955 Member

also did all Shelbys come with a roll cage or was that an option in just a GT500?

19. dc-dd

dc-dd Well-Known Member

Yes all 68 shelby's got roll bars. Well you must of looked inside to see the roll bar did you see the way the headliner is tied up to the roll bar with all those long strings every inch or so streched across the length of the headliner like a giant spiderweb that along with his painting the car by hand ever year and countless other abnormal things someone would do to a car like this should be a clear sighn of mental illness. I can tell you the car is in the regestry as being white it is listed as a 500 but the the ford # on the car door tag and dash tag has a J not an S all the other #'s are correct for that Shelby vin this car was a small block car. I will not post the # and spoil your deal !!!

Good luck
    Dominic

20. bullitt0955

bullitt0955 Member

thank you Dominic-I really appreciate your honesty and information. Any Shelby of that era is worth restoring....I guess this guy in his ol age had too much time on his hands and decided to do his own version of restoring it!