Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby Bio Writer At Wine Country Classic

Discussion in 'Events Forum' started by bitzman, May 26, 2007.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

SHELBY BIOGRAPHER TO INTRODUCE HIS SHELBY BIO TO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA FANS AT WINE COUNTRY CLASSIC

Wallace A. Wyss, a long time Shelby biographer (Shelby's Wildlife: the
    Cobras and the Mustangs came out 40 years ago!) has authored a new book
    entitled SHELBY: The Man, The Cars, The Legend. He will be introducing the book in person to Northern Californians at the Wine Country Motorsports booth at the Wine Country Classics race set for Infineon racetrack on June 2 and 3rd.

He will speak at 10 am , noon , 2 pm and 4 pm each day on the subject of Shelby's colorful background and autograph any of his books purchased by race fans.

Shelby was born in the 1920's in Texas, the son of a rural mailman. Shelby joined the Army-Air Force before WWII and served throughout the war as a flight instructor. Later he tried a variety of occupations from being a cement contractor, oil well roughneck, and chicken farmer before settling on race car driving. In five years he moved from nowhere to winning the biggest sports car race of them all -- the 24 hours of Le Mans for Aston Martin.

Wyss will tell the story of the AC Cobra, a car that Shelby first built in 1962 and which he is still making today! The how and why of Carroll Shelby's success story will be told in full detail by this ultra-fan of Ford racing cars.

The author indicated he will be happy to personally inscribe any previous books written by him that Ford fans bring in, including Shelby’s Wildlife: the Cobras and the Mustangs, DeTomaso Automobiles, DeTomaso: the Man and the Machines, The Super Fords, Ford GT40 Photo Archive, etc.

Wyss will also be introducing to Northern California high-performance Ford fans the new book he co-authored, Ford GT40 and the New Ford GT, along with Al Axelrod and Brian Winer. This book fully details the history of the original GT40's and then goes into how Ford in the year 2000 designed, engineered and finally marketed in '05 and '06 a 200 mph super-car that was--albeit for one brief shining moment--one every bit the match for Ferrari!

Track directions can be found at: http://www.winecountryclassic.com/gen_info/location.html

2. mmsheb

mmsheb New Member

I wasn't aware that Wallace Wyss has a new book coming out. I purchased Wyss's book, 'Shelby's Wildlife: The Cobras and Mustangs' about 1980, and have had it on my book shelf ever since. If anyone is interested in purchasing my copy please check my ad in the classified section of the Shelby Forums. If you hurry, perhaps you can get it inscribed by the author on June 2 or 3 at the Wine Country Classic! It sounds like a great event to attend.