Join Shelby Forums Today

ready to buy extended warranty need advice

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by sure1, Oct 20, 2009.

1. sure1

sure1 New Member

I am ready to buy a ford esp extended warranty on my 2007 GTH convert as my factory war. expires while the car will be in storage over the winter.
    Wonder what others have paid and who to contact to buy online for best deal and if it is a worthy use of my $. I have to think this baby had a tough 24,000 miles befoe i bought it. I know what i do when i rent a car. looking forward to your input on any warranty purchased on a shelby.

2. firetruck

firetruck Well-Known Member

first; get the most warranty for what you're willing to pay. this means you will have to do some home work.
    second; let the warranty reflect your driving style (miles per year).
    third; do some research on which components are likely to fail, you want them covered. this gives you a starting point when shopping. try to get the ford factory warranty.:dance:

3. mrl859

mrl859 Member

As a service advisor at a dealer, ALWAYS get the manufacturer's warranty!

4. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Would not waste my money with one of those outside warranties. IF I ever purchased an extended it would have to be through the same company that made the car

5. bigb427

bigb427 Active Member

As what others said, do not get a 3rd party extended warranty under any circumstance! As a Ford technician I recommend the Ford ESP Premium Care, with a $100 deductible.

6. 7ShelbyGT

7ShelbyGT Member

I didn't even know Ford would offer an extended warranty - since I didn't buy the car from them....

I went with US Fidelis ( NASCAR Spokesperson got me ) for $100.00 deductible, supposedly gave me the new car warranty, since I had 11,000 miles on it at that point.
    I don't liketo think about how much it cost.....
    Down payment $450. plus 12 payments of $250.

Should I switch over to FORD ESP Premium?

7. mrl859

mrl859 Member

Be careful with US Fidelus and the like. I work at a dealership and have had two experiences that have been very unpleasant for my customers. One customer had been sent a bottle of Duralube with the contract. There was a clause in the fine print requiring that the Duralube be added at the next oil change and documented on the oil change receipt. Being a little old lady, she didn't do that. They declined all repairs and she is not due a refund as she violated the policy. Another customer did not have receipts to prove oil changes every x miles as stipulated in the contract. Same result. Just FYI. For me, it's factory service contract or nuthin'.

8. TaraFirma

TaraFirma Active Member

call these "extended servise contracts" what they are. Insurance policies! You pay X amount over a certain period of time for a certain "service" time, with a deductible. GEICO offered this when I bought my 03 cobra. After the warranty expired i had the t56 and the clutch REPLACED for my $50 deductible. pretty sweet. They called it what it is though. Insurance. teir name for it was "mechanical breakdown coverage" for service the warranty does not or willot cover.

9. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

I have had excellent results with factory extended warrantees. It really makes a difference when a drivetrain or engine item fails. Non factory warrantees suck. I had many squables back in the 1980-90s with non-rebursements, insurance co. failures or paperwork nightmares. The bait for low cost does not make up for it, especially if is strictly a dealership offered plan. The current complexities of engines and computer electronics in our cars, as well as the great increase in service rates, makes an extended factory warranty a better deal nowadays. IMHO.:cool:

10. steele138

steele138 Well-Known Member

Always buy a factory extended,got screwed by a fly by night company on a transmission because my documented filter fluid change was 1500 miles past the 60000 mark.
    never had a issue with Fords ESP
    Scott

11. firetruck

firetruck Well-Known Member

always bargain for 0 deductible and premiun care plan(bumper to bumper) no gray area here. Expensive car needs top protection.:dance:

12. mrl859

mrl859 Member

The December Car & Driver has a scathing article about three of the larger aftermarket service contracts. Interesting.

13. 7ShelbyGT

7ShelbyGT Member

OK,
    I cancelled the US Fidelis ( sorta ) they want a Notorized mileage statement...to pro rate my 5 weeks of coverage.....

Got Ford ESP Premium with $100.00 deductable for 100,000 miles and three more years of coverage.

Thanks for the advice FORD waas less expensive too.

14. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

The Ford ESP is also transferable and cancelable. I got the premium with 84month/100,000 mile with a 200 deductible for $1140.00. You can go to www.fordwarrantys.com and see what all is covered on all the plans.:thumbsup:

15. TaraFirma

TaraFirma Active Member

For this much money in purchase price I'm going to get something. Just don't know what yet.