Join Shelby Forums Today

Question of value for a very rare Shelby 1966 GT350 Convertible

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mrbeverlyhills, Aug 19, 2009.

1. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

Re: Question of value for a very rare Shelby

I have to agree with mrbeverlyhills. If Shelby builds it, titles it, and signs the paperwork, it's a Shelby. The source of the raw material is moot. If Shelby American starts buying Dynacorn 68 FB body shells, and puts the 68 GT500 back in production, they will be Shelbys, too.

In the 1990's a warbird group in the US set about a project to produce 5 Me-262 fighter planes. After examining the quality of the workmanship, representatives of Messerschmidt issued the next 5 serial numbers to them. Are they "real"? I'd say so.

[​IMG]

2. thefordshow

thefordshow Well-Known Member

The part that doesn't sit well for me [...and this is just my opinion]is the cars in question have a past history. They started out as mustangs, sold as mustangs, delivered as mustangs, serviced as mustangs and driven as mustangs for 14 years. The so called raw material can't be sweeped under the carpet like it doesn't matter. Let me put it this way. If ferrari took an original daytona coupe and painted it red, installed a ferrari motor and placed a ferrari tag on it and called it a ferrari GTO would the raw material become moot?

3. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

For me (and my money ;) Its the history not some "authority" that makes it real or not.

There are plenty (throw the Porsche name in also) of organizations that will, for the right dollar amount, will state something is real. Sorry not in my book.

4. mrbeverlyhills

mrbeverlyhills Member

LOVE those ME 262s, my dad was in the RAF and weeps thanks every night they came into the war so late, Spits and the later Tempests could not touch them. Tempests were so powerful you had to compensate for the torque by having the stick hard over then immediately correcting upon take off or flip over. Only time he saw one was covering a USAF bomb run over the Rhine and a lone 262 sprayed it's entire load all over the bombers and flew away empty and untouched.

I think it was Bum Phillips on Earl Campbell who said "he may not be in a class of his own but it don't take long to call roll".

Have any of the 5 come on the market and for how much? I know of 1 in England that was on offer at 15,000,000 Euros.

5. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Bob is correct about the tach. It was left out of the restoration. The restoration was of very high quality but unfortunately without regard to originality. This answers the other observation as well. The roll bar is wrapped in padding and covered in a custom upholstered blue "body color" vinyl wrap. Numerous other changes were made as well but I do not have a bunch of "before" pictures to be able to verify all changes.

To clarify further, the pictures I posted are of two separate cars. The one I drive regularly has the white top and has not been restored or altered other than a new battery I put in a few years ago. I'll post the serial numbers as soon as I find them. I have not read the registry about these cars but will do so soon. I can say that from what I have seen, these cars can vary quite a bit from one to the next. As mentioned before, the build quality was not great, but this too varies from car to car. More to come...
    Randall

6. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

of course whatever Shelby says is a Shelby is one. That's not the question, "What's it worth" was the question.

Z. Ray

7. mrbeverlyhills

mrbeverlyhills Member

it is a great debate though eh?

I agree they were Mustangs for 14 years ( or more!) but then so are Shelbys, they were Mustangs for weeks before they got the bolt ons and a serial number. The later Shelbys never even made it to Shelby, they were badged alongside the other Mustangs as Shelbys By FORD. So 14 years or 14 minutes as a Mustang they ALL started as Ford Mustangs.

Not sure I understand the Porsche analogy, those are some of the biggest nitpickers in the world next to Vette owners. Vette folks like to know what ashtray the car came with. Porschephiles are number checkers too and anyone with a clone is considered to have devalued the car and anyone who did it to an early S sleeps in fear of waking up tied to a stake over a roaring fire.

I would love to hear what you guys and gals think a car like this may be worth but as I said, it is a great debate. The final say may be the oldest: Whatever a buyer will pay for it.
    Thanks again to all.

8. rshelby

Original 1966 Shelby GT350s started out as Mustangs as well, so the Ferrari/Daytona Coupe comparison doesn't really fit in my opinion but I definitely see your point. These cars are not original 1966 GT350s, and will never be original 1966 GT350s, they are something different and to me that's ok. I also believe them to be something different than a regular Mustang...others may not. I think the question of value is something that would vary greatly from person to person and car to car.
    Randall

9. thefordshow

Yes mrbeverlyhills, "What ever some one is willing to pay",..and that we all can agree.

10. thefordshow

I also have one question. If one of these convertibles showed up at an MCA event, how and were would it go to be judged? as a mustang or as a shelby? or would it have to have its own class?

11. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Since it is a continuation of the 1966 Shelby naturally it would be put in the 66 Shelby class . Now where a problem might arise is when it comes to having a qualified judge who understands the differences do the judging. Bob

12. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

If Ferrari did the conversion, yes.

13. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

Which is hilarious because many, many 427 fakes have been built, since no VIN indication or ordering history is available. It's been said there are more 427 'Vettes on the road now than Chevy ever built. Well done, these can be virtually impossible to detect.

Sadly, the General never kept the ordering data on these cars. 64-66 Mustang owners are in the same boat, but have the advantage of the engine type listed in the VIN.

14. C6ZZKGT

C6ZZKGT Member

Back when these continuation cars were built, I was approached for Hipo driveline and engine parts for these cars. I was also there and saw some of the cars that were in varying stages of completion. The ones that I saw were not Hipo cars. They were not rust free cars either. They had a number of panels replaced including quarters and floors on some of them. They were using any convertible body that they could find. One of them that I saw was one destined for Carrol Shelby. I was unimpressed with the quality of workmanship on cars that I believe were to be sold for $40,000 at the time.

-Fred-

15. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

IIRC, that was the price, and they were sold before they were even built.

I'm disappointed that they were not well built. Sounds a bit like their experience with Unique. Imagine, customers forking over $140k, and 2-3 years later the car isn't even begun. I asked Dan at Glazier Nolan about that, and he was baffled, too. Apparently, if you were to give Glazier Nolan anywhere near that kind of money, you'd be hitting cruise night and winning car shows in less than a year. Shelby should have contracted with them. Top notch work.

16. rshelby

mrbeverlyhills,
    Did you end up buying one of these continuation GT350 convertibles? Please tell us about it if you did.

Also, I was wondering...does anyone know if there is one of these continuation GT350 convertibles that can be bought? Since I have not seen one for sale, I assume that there is not one listed anywhere but does anyone know of an owner that would consider selling? I know someone interested in purchasing one.
    Thanks,
    Randall

17. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Randall,

You missed out on a great deal on one from last September, it was listed on the saacforum and sold within two weeks. Even in a down economy these things are semi hot potatos.

Bill S.

Bill S.

18. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

The car is in good hands and is receiving a ground up resto as we speak but will most likely be next spring before it is ready to drive I am told.Bob

19. TransamEd

TransamEd Well-Known Member

I think MrBeverlyhills was not actually planning to buy one, but to sell one instead :) and trying to fnd out an accepted value, since he was "ON" here for August/Sept.2009.
    6S2381 was also actually on sale for a much longer time, so not really selling as a hot potato. First owner Joey Davis intended to sell it, then intended to raffle it off..but was not able finally anymore..to get things done.

Anway it went to Major Brunks finally himself of Beverly Hills...

The sales price came down from much more than 150.000 to 85.000 and probably less in Aug/Sept.2010.
    I followed it since Joey contacted me with a lot of original documentation because a serious collector wanted it for a Shelby museum, but requesting price and offer did not match finally.
    http://www.ponysite.de/6s2381.htm

Another one was recently sold in February 2011 - 6S2389
    http://www.ponysite.de/6s2389.htm

20. 66shelbynz

66shelbynz Well-Known Member

this is what they wrote about them in 1980 in Hot Rod Magazine....

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      161.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      129.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg