Join Shelby Forums Today

Question of value for a very rare Shelby 1966 GT350 Convertible

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mrbeverlyhills, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Re: Question of value for a very rare Shelby

They were not all K codes, and they were not all rest free body's, and they all didn't get hipo engines. i know this from talking to Howard, personal experience, and observations over the years. The car that sold at BJ in 07 was not much more then a driver quality condition and a like condition driver quality 66 gt350 would have sold for that or below . As I said before like condition is the key word. That is why it is hard to compare unless the two cars in the comparison are close to the same. It all depends on the condition . I have been surprised in the past at the prices that some of the continuation 66 converts sold at with the less then average condition they were in. If you are talking about a show restored quality restoration on one of these cars it would sell for more. Bob

2. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob, I didn't know they did not all receive "new" HiPo's.

One could then suggest that the same automatics as in the Hertz cars may not have been used either?

3. Bob Gaines

I am not sure about that detail. I actually have only been around the 4 speed cars and none of the autos. A writer once wrote that " Shelby reportedly turned up a dozen NOS 271 Hipo 289 engines in a Ford parts warehouse in Detroit" and the myth was born . I am reasonably sure that a statement from Shelby was misunderstood and rather then correct it he let the press run with it. He wasn't at fault it was the press. The same thing happened when he explained at a press conference that he had "these Cobra vin numbers" when referring to the 427 SC Cobras that were never built. The reporters took it as Shelby had a bunch of 427 SC chassis in a warehouse someplace and reported it that way. Shelby let the press run with that story/myth also . It was probably the same thing with the hipo engine story. Bob

4. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    There was an article written in one of the Mustang magazines when this project was first launched(possibly Mustang illustrated),and it claimed these cars were to be based on rust free K code convertibles.Even then ,finding a nice example was getting expensive,and I believe Bob would be correct,the things in print are often taken as gospel,and are not corrected.As I stated you need to have a pro appraiser check things out,this should be one of the first steps IMHO.
    The cars were all completed...with a huge gap...then yet 1 more person created a Red car....it visited the magazines,had a little mishap in Palm Springs...Never had Shelbys approval but did create some excitement,and this is what keeps us in this hobby:thumbup:

5. A-Snake

That would be the car on the cover of Petersen's Hot Rod Mustang
    No MSO was issued for that car, thus it is not considered one of the continuation GT350's.

6. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

I would be very impressed if they were actually able to find 12 K code convertibles, for sale, in any condition, let alone rust-free.

Since the cars were to be converted anyway, starting with K code convertibles would be an amazing extravagance, easily adding a decimal point to the price of aquiring the cars.

7. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Rshelby,
    Thanks for sharing the pics of your and your Aunt's car. In the last picture it looks like the car has Pony interior and no dash tach, but the earlier pic shows a dash tach in you car. Did some of these cars come without one and did they all have pony interiors?
    Jay

8. A-Snake

Roll bars and Pony interiors were original "embellishment" on these 12 cars.
    Don't know the answer on the tach.

9. Bob Gaines

They all came with 66 shelby tach too. Bob

10. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

I do not see a tach in this one and that is why I ask the question. Is this not one of the 12?

Jay

11. Bob Gaines

Since the tach was in the first of the pictures which if taken in sequence was the before picture and the last picture the after . The most logical conclusion is that the Tach was left off post restoration for a unknown reason. I don't remember every seeing any body color roll bars ether originally. I believe they were all meant to be black. It seems like one of the Dallas Mustang guys called me up asking about some details when this car was being restored. Bob

12. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

I remember one of the 12 convertibles in the Gardena Shelby Goodyear lobby when I was there in the late 1980s. It was blue with a white interior. I may have an old photo of it somewhere. I recall the workmanship was pretty shoddy with uneven carpet, the rear seats had wrinkles in the vinyl, there was an MSD unit under the hood and a few other oddities. I did like the balcked out 10 spokes.B)

13. Bob Gaines

Apparently the blacked out 10 spokes were used in 1966 also. The picture of the white car on the postcard also has blacked out tenspokes for one . I believe Howard has info of a few others in 1966 that had them. Bob

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  14. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

Those tenspokes were done as special set for the 12 cars by the Shelby wheel Co. which only made a few spares. I had a chance to purchase the last available set on hand but declined as I wanted five wheels, not just four. So I purchased five of the standard 10 spokes instead. Regrets ever since. But I do have the original box they shipped in that includes installation instructions.
    I am not sure who owns the GT350 convertible now that was in the lobby. I believe it was one of the ones at the time of production that supposed to go to Carroll or a family member. I think it also had air conditioning.
    My current 6S2187 GT350 was once owned in the 1970s by one of the guys that worked at Beverly Hills assembling some of the convertibles and I recall him mentioning that not all cars were actual K codes as originally planned or as told to the press.B)

15. Bob Gaines

For those reading this thread that don't know,the 1997 Shelby American World Registry has a separate section describing all of the differences these cars had as well as their Shelby issued VIN numbers. It is the first place I looked when studying the subject years ago. I added my personal observations from there. Bob

16. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Remember when they were hunting for the hulls. Would guess (based on discussions at the time) that some might have even been 6 cylinder cars originally. Given the time and the availability I pretty sure that were all fairly local rust free starts.

17. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Many years ago I saw some pictures from the assembly of these
    12 convertibles and the car in the picture had completely new
    NOS quarter panels mounted. The C5ZZ marking on the inside
    was clearly visable.
    Texas Swede

18. 6s1461

6s1461 Member

I was in Beverly Hills Mustang shop in Santa Monica in the late 70"s and saw the cars as they were being built. I was NOT impressed! They started live as "C" and "T" Convertibles. One of the "T" codes had been "T-boned" bad on the drivers side. So basically Paint, interior, intake and headers and a tag and it is a Shelby??

19. Bob Gaines

I believe you are over simplifying things . It was or is substantially more involved then that. You might want review the Registry for more additional details. As with any car the final product needs to be examined closely to determine value. I would venture to say that rshelby's family's car is substantially better after being restored then when it left Beverly Hills Mustangs shop . Bob

20. mrbeverlyhills

mrbeverlyhills Member

For one thing, the project started because Carroll wanted cars for the family and the times were a lot different in the 80's than they are today. Parts and materials are plentiful now whereas back then good used was all you could get in some cases.

It isn't just paint and carpet and a tag but the whole question of provenence; if you have a hubcap from a crashed Ferarri and the factory decides to rebuild the car around it you get several million at auction. If you decide to rebody your Pontial Fiero as a Ferarri you get....well, years of therapy I imagine.

My point and original question is: given that these cars are in the registry with their own chapter, not a poor man's clone. Given that they come with a Shelby serial number not a set of stripes and a repro hood. Given that the car has been given a rotiserrie restoration not weatherstrip and a tag. What might such a car fetch in the market today?
    Thank you all for your insightful input, I respect everyone's opinion and realize it is a difficult question-we are not talking about a cloned Hemi or a Le Mans that has been turned into a GTO from the pages of a catalogue. Carroll is and was a manufacurer and he decides what carries his name-it is called The Shelby Registry not A Book of Faster Fords.