Join Shelby Forums Today

Question: Changing exahust gasket in my 428 engine

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Oregon Shelby, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Oregon Shelby

Oregon Shelby Well-Known Member

I have an exhaust leak on the driver side of my GT500 unfortunately. Ya, don't chuckle please. What is the easiest way to tackle this project? Can't get my darn fist under the brake booster and fender for the last two bolts. Any suggestions for those that attempted and succeeded with this change? I understand that jacking the engine would really help. Would I need to take out the motor mounts, or simply jacking the engine on its side should do the job?

Also any suggested on a gasket that have a better chance of not failing on me in the future? I understand these these engines originally didn't use gaskets, but I don't have time to resurface the sides.

Last question, what should the torque be on the exhaust bolts?

Thanks for reviewing my questions and look forward working on this project over the weekend

brian-

2. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

Access it from under the car. It still sucks, but is at least possible. I've been under there recently. Removing the horizontal through bolt from the motor mount is sufficient.

3. KensKR

KensKR Well-Known Member

Brian, I always remove the export brace and the valve cover in order to change a header gasket on the drivers side. There isn't any easy way.
    Kenny

4. rickmustang

rickmustang Member

The best tool I ever purchased was a curved open/closed Snap-On wrench for my header bolts on my GT 500. About a 5 inch arc. Just enough to reach around one header pipe to the bolt on the other side. The wrench was $35 and well worth it. Torque is whatever you can get on it as your knuckels are bleeding.

5. Oregon Shelby

Oregon Shelby Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. All were very helpful indeed.

So far I was able to take 2 bolts out. Before starting this project, yesterday I took the motor mount out, export brace off, valve cover off, fan shroud and fan off thinking that I would have access somewhere. Today was time to actually work on getting those bolts off and decided to buy a open closed have round box wrench.

I Started at 10 this morning and decided to call it a day with 6 hours in the project. So far I was able to take 2 bolts out. Need to be even more creative of the remaining 6.

I don't have a lift and will get a friend over next week to hopefully pull the balance of bolts out. I think I can crawl back underneath the car and have the person on top simple hold the socket on the nut while I ratchet from below. If that doesn't work, I will have to somehow jack the engine up since the motor mount is out to see if I can get to the bolts that way.

I am honestly thinking that it would probably been easier taking the entire engine out at this point with the amount of time I have spent. I had this gasket blow out on me 5 years ago and I was charged $800 for a gasket. I thought I completely got ripped off, but now understand why mechanics charge so much to install a darn exhaust gasket. Amazing.

Back to gaskets, what style of gaskets are folks using?

brian-

6. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi to a big block owner,
    Make sure to do it right the first time....clean all bolts and run a tap in the threads of the head,that way you wont need to do it again.
    best wishes for a successful leak free exhaust.
    Regards P.D.

7. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Brian,
    You probably don't want to hear this but if you are repeatedly blowing manifold gaskets then the manifold is warped. If you are going to all the trouble to take the manifold out, get it resurfaced and don't run the gasket. Ford wasn't being cheap by not using gaskets, it is the way they were designed. I always have manifolds resurfaced and never had a leak.
    Tim
    ps: headers are totally different and do require gaskets