Join Shelby Forums Today

PS Engineering's Replica Vintage American Racing Magnesium Torque Thrust Wheels

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by 6t5, May 18, 2007.

1. 6t5

6t5 Member

I just picked up my set of Replica Vintage American Racing Magnesium Torque Thrust Wheels from PS Engineering. It was worth the wait. Phil Schmidt, "PS", calls his version of the wheel the "Trans Am". They are 15x8s with his formulated offset to fit perfectly in the tight confines of a nonmodified 65/66 wheelwell. (A side note. . .those who want an even wider rim on the rear for the staggered set up, Phil CAN fit a 9 inch wide wheel. However, you must run a panhard rod, run a rounded profile tire, and roll the inner fender lips.) All I can say is that they are awsome, gorgeous wheels. Those looking for the absolute authentic look of the '60s icon American Racing 5-spoke magnesium racing wheel, look no further. The spoke design perfectly replicates those of the racing wheel, though now an aluminum replica. The wheels' spokes rough casting and its imperfections are clearly the details I'm most enamored with. I instructed Phil that I wanted the wheels' center a "patina" look, a charcoal grey. This color on the original magnesium wheel is due to the magnesium alloy oxidating. I thought the contrasting color would look great on my GT350R clone. ---I'll post photos soon. I can't wait to get them on the car!

Phil Schmidt is one of nicest guys you'll ever meet. Many with vintage Shelbys and Cobra roadsters know or know of him. If he's not busy making wheels, he'll talk about cars until dusk. I stand corrected, he'll make the time to chat with you. If you're fortunate to go to his shop in Torrance California, it's a vintage racing wheel candy store. And, you can see his '80s French built Rondeux race car, I believe a GTP car, that he races. His latest project is replicating the '70s Porsche 911 RSR 5-spoke center lock racing wheel. . .again with its exact magnesium casting imperfections. ---I'll post pictures of his shop soon.

In the meantime, here is a writeup/posting I did earlier on Phil Schmidt's PS Engineering, see posting #13 and #16:

http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/...t500/4073-why-no-caps-torq-thrust-wheels.html

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. gjz30075

gjz30075 Well-Known Member

6t5, I love the look. What size tire are you running? Any lip rolling needed for the 15x8? What exactly is the back space?
    Thanks.

3. 6t5

6t5 Member

I'm running 235/60-15 Yokohama AVS (NLA). With Phil's wheels, which have a 4.72 backspacing, minor or no rolling is needed. It depends on tire profile and camber. With the Torque Thrusts, fender rolling was essential because of their backspacing. On his GT350, Phil was able to fit 245/50-15 BFG T/A on the front with some minor massaging. The best set up is the 15x8 with the 235/60s (or its equivalent), which he now runs and HIGHLY recommends. I run a -1.5 camber with 4 castor, as per Phil's track car. ---:thumbup: It's a nice set up.

4. Sandy Galbraith

Sandy Galbraith Well-Known Member

Can I ask if you got the 2 piece wheels or the one piece castings? If you went with the one piece is Phil still charging about $400 per for them?

I'm not a huge fan of the 2 piece but you sure do see a lot of them at Willow Springs and also around town. I just don't like how polished the rim is on the 2 piece...its way to easy to tell its a 2 piece.

Just my 2 cents worth...

5. GT350DAVE

GT350DAVE Well-Known Member

I've used the one piece on my Trans Am notchback but Phil recommended using the 2 piece for other applications because of the extra options associated with offset. He referred me to someone who had the 2 piece and individual:) said that the 2 piece wheels looked exactly like the one piece.
    GT350DAVE

6. 6t5

6t5 Member

As noted in my posts, I had Phil CAST the 15x8 with a 4.72 backspacing ($550 each). I wanted the old school rough cast wheel, one-piece machined, just like back-in-the-day. There are photos in my post. My wheels differ by my having Phil powdercoat the centers a magnesium patina charcoal grey. The two-piece wheel provides a greater range for adjusting the offset. But like you, I don't care for the look on a vintage car. It's too modern looking. Perhaps on a pro-touring car the two-piece wheel would be okay.

I'll post photos of my PS Engineering wheels soon.

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  7. 6t5

6t5 Member

The PS Engineering Tran Am wheels one-piece and two-piece five-spoke center is where the similarities end, as with the current American Racing Torque Thrust and Torque Thrust IIs. The two-piece DOES NOT look exactly like a single cast wheel. The two-piece wheel has a highly polished rim with a distinct curved lip. The cast center is welded in. Check my posted photos of Phil's catalog (pages 4, 9, and 11) in post #13:

http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/...t500/4073-why-no-caps-torq-thrust-wheels.html

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  8. 6t5

6t5 Member

Finally! My PS Engineering Wheel Trans Am 15x8 Wheels

Here are some pics. . .not only is the wheel an inch wider, the offset (4.72) pulls the wheel/tire more into the fender's confines, and the wheel's width makes for a better tire profile (235/60) than when mounted on a 7 inch rim. They are hub-centric too!! And Phil furnishes each wheel with both chrome standard lugs and silver cad plated Trans Am extended lugs (shown).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  9. Sandy Galbraith

Sandy Galbraith Well-Known Member

Re: Finally! My PS Engineering Wheel Trans Am 15x8 Wheels

They look fabulous!!!!

10. 60's*dream*

60's*dream* Active Member

Hello 6t5,
    I agree with you 100%. Phil is the only one who makes the correct looking Torque Thrust "D" (dog legged spoke) reminiscent of the 60's American Magnesium "trans am " wheel. Phil sent me a set of 5, 1 piece 15x8. interestingly though he sent mine with a 4 3/8" back spacing as he recommended. You mentioned your back spacing as 4.72 which is almost 4 3/4". My set was ordered with a polished lip and the air valve on the angle. (I'll edit this post/reply with a photo when I get home). On original magnesium wheels I've seen the valves in both positions, I opted for the angle due to being different than the current readily available re production wheels. I have a couple questions for you. #1 what did you paint you wheels with? I like the color, it's not black (semi or flat) oxidizing magnesium has a flat charcoalish-greenish tone to it. Your has a little gloss to it which is nice. I'm still looking for a finish I like well enough. By the way, Craig Connley at paradise has the American Magnesium foil decals to further period correct the wheels. I'll include it in my photos. #2 As for the 4.72 back spacing, obviously you have no issues with interference with suspension components correct? My only issues is the selection of 15" tires. I so happen to have a set of 4 225/60/15 Goodyear Eagle GT Gator backs and an unmounted 6.00/15 Goodyear Blue Streak for under the window. When those Eagle GT's eventually wear out, I'll search for a replacement. The 225's look a little skinny for the 8's, but the square shoulders clear the fenders (barely). I can't wait to finish my project. Let me know on the paint. Thanks, Earl

11. 6t5

6t5 Member

Earl,

The powder coating was done by Phil prior to putting the wheels on his lathe. This is one of the no cost options that he offers, such as the air valve hole placement. Though not a true magnesium patina finish as he advertises, it provided a nice satin contrast that I liked. Instead of a charcoal with a greenish tint, it has a bluish tint. It's very nice. I agree that 225s are skinny for the 8's. I have absolutely no issues with the 4.72 backspacing.

Roy

12. Jerry_Moss

Jerry_Moss Well-Known Member

Hi

Just once again for my bad english:

You are running
    235/60-15 Yokohama AVS (NLA). With Phil's wheels, which have a 4.72 backspacing on 8x15 on all four correct??
    What is the address of this company? I need to talk to him.
    I just looked at the pictures of your car and must say it is awesome!!!
    What i like most is the look of the tyres ty look like blue strikes from
    the shape. The difference is i can buy Yokohamas here in germany too
    and would´nt have to order my tyres in the states just to get the look.
    And the rims themselfes,....hey speechless!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bye Jerry

13. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

Phil Schmidt of PS Engineering does fabulous work and he is a real genteman! I recently took delivery of a set of his 15 x 8 Trans Am Wheels
    ( just like those in the pics from 6t5 ) and they are awesome!

The sobering news: there is NO high performance tires ( read V or W rated )made in the vintage 15" size. Only the mentioned P225 x 60 -VR 15's that Goodyear and several other manufacturers make. This tire is too short in diameter and too narrowfor 15 x 8's.

You have basially two choices: You can use 600/650 -15 Goodyear Blue Streak race tires OR you can use Avon, 225 x 65 VR 15's that are steet legal.

Either way; it isn't cheap!!!
    shlby66

14. 60's*dream*

60's*dream* Active Member

Hi Jerry, PS Engineering Inc. has an ad posted in the Shelby American issue #74 on pg.72 I'll save you the hassel of finding that information:

Phil Schmidt
    PS Engineering Inc.
    3675 Skylark Dr, suite 102
    Torrance CA 90505
    310 534-4477

I ordered a set of 5, polished lip, with the valve on the angle instead of in between the spokes parallel. Another option Phil will do is powder coat them as he did on Roy's wheels. (see photos, that's what Roy told me). These wheels are not cheap! :doh: These are the 1 piece cast not the 2 piece. Lead time (read mfg time) can be lenghty 2 - 10 months. I was lucky I waited only 8 weeks for my set. Shlby66 is right, tire selection in 15" is extremely limited in high speed rated tires. My set of 225 Goodyear VR60 Eagles look a tad undersized, but will work for me. I have a 6.00-15 Goodyear Blue Streak with the G-7 tread in a R655 compound (harder compound) for under the rear window. When the VR's wear out I'll deal with finding a suitable replacement 15" tire. (pricing of rims I will not post, that's between you an Phil). good luck, Earl

15. 6t5

6t5 Member

Yes it is a big bummer that a nice 235/60-15 is no longer available or very difficult to find. The Yokohama AVS tires I found were through the Tire Rack a few years ago at the time the tires were discontinued and they were getting rid of their stock. Would you believe I got them for a measley some of $45 each?!!! I should've bought their entire stock!

16. Jerry_Moss

Ok guys you brought me back on my feet. :wacko:
    I was just searching what a AVON tyre would cost and i found this one:

Avon ZZ3 225/60 R15 96 W ok it´s no 225/65 but i keep looking
    maybe make a few phone calls but this one i found would cost:

Between 87$ and 130$ a pice. That would be great!!

I look for more.
    Thanks for your help and the adress of this man. If i´m lucky
    i allready have one who wants my TTDs. When they are gone
    i´ll order the PS wheels. :lmao:

Bye Jerry

17. Jerry_Moss

ok me again,.... :guitar:

@shlby66
    Are you sure the dimension 225/65-15 will look like the ons 6t5 has on his?
    Does it have to be racing tyres because they are not easy to find your
    right.
    But i found out that Pirelle also has this in stock

225/65 R15 99W and it is safe till 170 mp/h price is 190$.

What do you think??

Bye Jerry

18. shlby66

Jerry,

The Avon tire I am useing is the 225 x 65 R15 ( V rated ) CR6ZZ. It is 26.6"
    in diameter; 9.13" in cross section and 7.91" in tread width.

Phil Schmidt of PS Engineering said that this is a "perfect fit" for the 15 x 8"
    wheels. There are no clearance issues.

You will have to source them from a racing shop that sells Avon racing tires.
    The CR6ZZ's are street legal. And they aren't cheap! You will have to decide for yourself as how you wish to address the tire issue if you should opt for 15 x 8" wheels.
    shlby66

19. Jerry_Moss

How much is one of those Avons i the states? And why aren´t you
    driving with Hoosier or Good Year racing tyres? Are they not as good?
    Why i ask is Good Year and Hoosier are typical american tyres what
    they don´t sell here at the dealers. So if i order tyres in the states
    you add 250$ for shipping and ontop of all 19% tax thats why i would
    be happy to be able to take a tyre wich is sold here.
    Even though i have to pay more for a perfect rim and be able to buy tyres
    here it will become the cheaper deal for me.

The thing is that i want to have the car as perfect as possible.
    An 225/60-15 on 7x15 TTD´s is not what i think is the best for me
    tahts why i try to get those Avons and those PS rims.

But again,...whats the price for those Avons in the states?

Thanks Jerry

20. shlby66

Jerry,

Are you sitting down? I hope so. The Avon CR6ZZ's retail here in the States
    for $287 each. Plus shipping. They are not too far off the pricing of Goodyear
    6.00/6.50 x 15 Blue Streaks and ARE street legal.

The reason I am not useing Hoosiers or Goodyears; is they do not make a size that is proper for the 15 x 8" wheel. ( read: not tall enough/ small diameter )

For your purposes; I would suspect that 225 x 60 VR 15's on a 15 x 7" wheel would work just fine. And be a lot less pricey.

It soon becomes a personal issue. I prefer to try to match the diameter or
    heigth close to the size ( 27" ) of the original tires. And to find tread width that most nearly matches the rim width of the wheel I'm useing.

I like to run stock ride heigth and all four tires of the same size. I do not like to set ride heigth useing tires of different sizes, front to rear. With normal ride heigth and proper back spacing there should be no clearance issues.

You can check out the Avon tires in your part of the world; as they are made
    in England. If you already have the 15 x 7" wheels; Avon probably has a proper size for them as well. Think things thru carefully to fit your needs.
    shlby66