Join Shelby Forums Today

Paint under hood?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Jimmy J1, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Jimmy J1

Jimmy J1 Well-Known Member

We're about to start sanding down my 67 GT500 for new paint. #738 Under the hood was painted body color. Anyone recommend a product to strip the old paint under the hood? It is not smooth, worried paint stripper will clog all the glass texture. Some type of blasting?
    Thanks!

2. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Paint stripper(s): Well, better use one that will not eat the fiberglass. IE "corvette" strippers. Make sure it states "for use on fiberglass" on the label.

Blasting: 1) Original Shelby fiberglass is filled with air pocket holes. Blasting is going to open them up, and, you will need to fill them. This is probably easier on the rough bottom of the hood.
    2) You'll need to impress upon the blaster place to use the lowest possible air settings to just remove the paint in a way to not damage the 'glass (open up the holes)
    3) I used plastic media on my hood, and other than blowing open quite a few air bubbles, things came out alright.

You might want to think about just painting over what you have, but, I know, it's your baby and you want it perfect.