Join Shelby Forums Today

NY, NJ, CT, Meet & Greet / Photoshoot

Discussion in 'Events Forum' started by torisdad, Mar 8, 2012.

1. torisdad

torisdad New Member

Gauging interest from folks on this forum...

Hello everyone.

Please take the time to read this and let me know what y’all think?

Proposed Date: Sunday – May 6, 2012
    Proposed Rain Date: Sunday – June, 3, 2012

Time: 9:00am to whenever we get tired of each other.

Location: State Line – Exit 3 off Palisades Parkway http://www.njpalisad...looks.htm#State

After interest from our Jersey and Connecticut brothers and sisters, I looked into Fort Lee Park under the GW Bridge and spoke with someone at Palisades Interstate Park Commission. In short, permits are required to occupy the Fort Lee Park, and take photos. The reason for this is simple. They consider this a “group event” once the number of people exceed 25. The kicker in all of it – we may not be guaranteed a spot as everything is a still a “first come first serve basis.” I wasn’t too pleased, but he said this is the nature of the beast when it comes to historic sites and tourists.

Without going crazy and not having to go through a bunch of red tape, the gentlemen I spoke to will, for $200 have No Issue giving us a permit to secure (all for ourselves) a lot at the State Line overlooking NY. There will be access to restrooms and food since the rest stop is in the vicinity and within sight of our vehicles. The photo opportunities in his opinion at the State Line are much nicer and more suitable for what I described. We can occupy the lot however we choose. His suggestion was to line up all the cars on one side of the lot overlooking the border – there will be plenty of room in the lot for us to move cars around, position them, etc. I will take a ride there this weekend to scope it all out just to be sure and report my findings.

The restrictions he placed on the event I am not concerned with. They had to do with Vendor (merchandise) set-ups, Catering, Music, etc.

Cost: The photographer and I spoke yesterday and came to the following agreement: She will dedicate her entire day (if need be) to make sure the entire meet is covered. She will basically document the meet, take candid shots, still shots - including glamour shots of our cars individually, with the owners, in groups, etc. She said “you guys have me for the entire day to do whatever is you ask of me” – that is of course as it pertains to photography;) She will not place a “limit” on glamour shots…which was something she proposed in our first conversation. To quote her, “there WILL BE PLENTY of photos taken” – all in digital format. She will provide me with copies of all photos on discs for everyone with NO Copyright restrictions whatsoever. She will also host everything online - In other words, we can do as we choose through whatever vendor we choose…ie: Kodak, ImageShack, Photobucket, etc… Total cost for her services are $500….which of course we will divide by however many of us participate. Based on a showing of 20 cars, this comes out to $35 per car…it’s a freaking bargain if you ask me. Now, the only thing I have to figure out is how many folks will attend? I honestly believe a showing of 20 cars is no issue whatsoever. In fact, the more of a showing we have, the cheaper it is…economies of scale at its best!

For what it’s worth, our first meet last year was just a “meet and greet” at the Paparazi Trattoria on Jericho Tpk off Glen Cove Road in Long Island with a showing of 18 cars – See link to video below. I personally like the ideas of the State Line on the Palisades Pkwy. For one, it gets us NY guys away from CapTree, Jones Beach, Bellmore, etc. Add to that, a cruise North on such a picturesque road during a nice day to meet some new folks – I am in.

Note: The photographer did not seem too worried about location. She told me to leave it up to her – she will make wherever we choose work. This is my first crack at something like this – and like I said earlier, the goal is to relax, have fun, make new friends, share our hobby, etc. I am hopeful for a good turnout.

Please let me know who is still seriously interested so we can all plan accordingly.

~Vito
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbNRhtI4UWs

2. torisdad

torisdad New Member

Event Cancelled...