Join Shelby Forums Today

Not a Mustang

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by GT40, Nov 29, 2004.

1. GT40

GT40 Active Member

these are Shelby GT350s
    not Mustangs

Attached Files:

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

I hear ya, but for the sake of keeping the site organized, this is how I have set it up. If others feel the same way and I hear some suggestions as far as how to better organize and set up the site, this could change. Site recommendations and suggestions should be posted in the "ShelbyForums.com website info, help and suggestions" Forum.
    Thanks,
    RS

3. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

It's alright the way you have it set up. My CSX and GLH-S aren't Dodge's but for sake of general organization, I don't mind it being under a Dodge Banner. To be consistent, the Mustangs should be under a Ford Banner with sub forums for Cobras, Mustangs, and GT40's. Just a thought, keep up the good work Randall

robin

4. GT40

GT40 Active Member

:doh: not trying to step on anyone's toes
    just dont call a SHELBY a mustang in person
    does it matter what they are as long as they look good
    and are fun to drive?

5. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

The GT350/500 cars are Mustangs...can't change that...a little trim, a little hop-up...but it's still a Mustang...a Shelby Mustang

Shelby made or endorsed lotsa cars....Cobras, Mustangs, Mustang IIs, Dodges. etc.

The little badges make them special...but the platform is .... a Mustang. B)

You can call mine a Mustang anytime you want. :D

6. 95 S-351 R-Code

95 S-351 R-Code Member

Mine was a Shelby Mustang! ( I sold it in 1981!) I am trying to buy it back! He isn't ready to part with it yet! :( Mark

Attached Files:

7. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

My 2 cents:
    The Washington State title for my Cobra listed the manufacturer for my car as a "Shelco"
    The same state listed the title for my 65 GT-350 also as a "Shelco"

The sheetmetal is Mustang. I don't take issue when people call it a Mustang.

I really enjoyed a conversation I had a few years ago at a local car show. There was a crowd of people around my car. The conversation went something like this:
    Idiot, wearing a Chevrolet jacket, loud enough for everyone to hear: "That's really nice, he fixed his mustang up to look like a Shelby"
    I said "You don't think this is a real Shelby?"
    Idiot: sneering with lip curled, says: "No, real Shelby's have plexiglass quarter windows."
    I shook my head and said "You shouldn't make statements like that if you don't know what you are talking about. You just told everyone here that you know nothing about these cars and don't have the sense to find out before you make stupid statements. If your convinced it's not a real Shelby, don't tell the guy who offered me 50K for it, which I turned down, incediently. If your sure is't a fake, let's put some money on it. How about 10K?""
    About that time, one of his friends informs him about the facts, he apologizes.

8. doc

doc Well-Known Member

Well I afraid it is true. They are Mustangs that just happened to be designated with special production attributes. Pulled off the same assembly line with the plain Janes. "Shelbyzed" and sold nation wide. Just like Saleens begin life as a Mustang, Yenkos begin life as a Camaro and so on. There is nothing other than performance upgrades and a few body mods that distinguished them from production mustangs. What it is called is less important to me than what it is.

Doc :rolleyes:

9. skidado

skidado Well-Known Member

"What’s in a name? That which we call a rose By any other word would smell as sweet". William Shakespeare from Romeo and Juliet :cool:

Attached Files:

10. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

He was the flower of his family,......they called him "Fart Blossom" :)

Nice car.

11. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Maybe you could stop those with non-real Cobra kit cars to stop calling them "Cobras" too. After all, those aren't even aluminum bodies ones, (except the ones Shelby sells: ie CSX 4000's)

12. doc

doc Well-Known Member

A non real Cobra kit? This could be a long forum topic if it were posted on Club Cobra. First to keep things in perspective. There are no "Real Cobra Kits". Shelby produces "Continuation Cars " of the original CSX 2000 and 3000 series. With regard to to the aluminum bodies; ever heard of Kirkham Motorsports? Carroll has purchased quite a few of their bodies for his Continuation series. Also understand that Carroll also makes Continuation CSX cars in fiberglass also. The Cobra name has been in court so much lately that you can write an entire book about the subject. For the most part, the Cobra name belongs to Ford and Carroll has license to use it. All the other manufacturers producing replicas or kits cannot used the name Cobra although the shape of the body resembles a Cobra. The shape as ruled in a recent court decision is not trademark protected. Anyhow, probably said more than you wanted to hear. Most replica and kit Cobra owners will tell you the honest truth about what their car is. The fact that it is a replica/kit does not demean or take anything away from the originals since very few if any originals are ever seen on the street. Pretty soon the original GT-350's, 500's and KR's will be regulated to the show only scene as the values and collectability continues to gain momentum. Replicas, clones etc.. will become the flavor of the day. Seen Ebay lately??

Doc :thumbsup:

13. 95CobraR

95CobraR Active Member

Hey Doc,

I think they are Shelby Mustangs.

Ford offered several other types of Mustangs:
    Mach 1's, Boss 302, Boss 429, Calif Specials (you get the idea).

You can also find clones: Those aren't Shelby Mustangs. They are just Mustangs that resemble a Shelby Mustang.

Doc J.
    Atlanta

14. GT40

GT40 Active Member

now i understand
    the original shelby was a clone of a mustang
    and the clones we see today are clones of clones
    we need to stop cloning around and drive our cars
    i painted my 90 vert Torch Red today
    now i need to go see if i can join the Torch Red Mustang Club
    some misguided person told me there were no Cobra Mustangs
    in 1990. pity he never went to Canada , eh?
    it even has a Windsor motor in it LOL
    :doh:

15. 95CobraR

95CobraR Active Member

Nope, you are still confused :cool: .

The Mustang came first, and the Shelby Mustang was a unique variation of the original Mustang chassis. It was designed to be a little different than a standard K-code FB Mustang.

The current crop of clones are the ultimate flattery since the builders want to resemble the original Shelby Mustang in appearance. They do not always try to duplicate the performance characteristics. All is well until the owner decides to misrepresent the car at the time of sale.

I once drove 1000 miles in my truck with a trailer attached just to find the car was fake. It wasn't a fun trip home. The seller claims he didn't know it was a fake. :grrr:

Just drive 'em? You should race 'em. That's what they were built for :thumbsup: .

Yea, they had a Mustang Cobra in Canada. It was just like the Mustang Cobras of 1979-1981. All look; no increased performance.

Torch red? Is that the new '05 Mustang color code (D3-torch red clear coat)? I have never heard Ford call it torch red before, but my memory is very poor. Don't laugh; they do have a yellow Mustang club. It even has it's own website.
    Cheers,
    Doc

16. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

It was like watching a train wreck. I was at the Portland Swap Meet years ago looking at a table full of mirrors. Two guys next to me talking, one guy says to the other guy "You need to find someone who knows about Shelby’s and have that car checked out before you give him the rest of the money" Since the crowd of people I was there with had two Cobras, three 65 Shelby’s and a 66Hertz car between us, I volunteered my services. He had put a deposit on a 66 Hertz car, priced under the going rate for these cars. At that time, I think they were selling for about 10K, this guy had it priced at around 8K. Unfortunately he gave the guy half BEFORE having it checked out.
    From a long ways away I could tell there were major problems. Car had quarter windows, was painted the correct black with gold stripes. Had a nice pony interior and the 2+2 emblems. The export brace was there, but without the support. The OEM VIN number was covered with a repo Shelby tag. The car was not even built on a Hi-Po tub. The owner walked up, I said “This is a real Shelby?” He said “Yes” I shook my head and said “No, it isn’t” Looking very uncomfortable, he says “Who the hell are you” I said “Someone who ownes a real car and knows what to look for” He then said “The original car was totaled, I put all the parts on this car. Shouldn’t be a problem.” I turned to the prospective buyer, said “This is a Mustang with some Shelby parts. It is by no means anything approaching a real Shelby and you will play hell getting it registered as such.” He thanked me, and I walked away. I heard later that the seller refused to refund his deposit, (It was in cash) and he ended up buying the car.

17. doc

doc Well-Known Member

Sad story but oh so true. I have looked a lot of real ones and un-real ones both in person and on line. Use to respond to one or more emails a week asking for opinions. Always advised buyer to see it in person with someone who knows the model you are buying. Don't put down one dime unless you have a refund clause which allows you to get your money back if it is not the real thing. Trust me, I am speaking from experience :doh: I have seen some pretty good clones out there which are hard to discriminate from the real ones. With the exception of the correct Vin# it would be extremely difficult for even the most experienced Shelby expert to detect it was a fake. Cudos for guys who can take projects to this level of detail. Bad if they try to pass them off as the real thing.

Doc :rolleyes:

18. GT40

GT40 Active Member

Send in the clones.
    Yes the Torch Red is the new color.
    you can see it on the rrcmc.com web page coverage of the Phil Clark Stampede in Rusk, Texas last weekend.

19. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

When the 65 Shelby gt350s came out they called them Mustang gt350 . The
    only cobra on the car was the center cap on the wood wheel. Bill i get it a lot to people think that because are 65 do not have brake scoops and the
    plexglass windows it is not a Shelby.

Mike

20. 95CobraR

95CobraR Active Member

:doh: :alarm: