Join Shelby Forums Today

No gas getting to carb.

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by GCRIV, Jul 15, 2008.

1. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

Re: Fuel pump working or not?

I had the same prob on a 69 gt500. I finally got to the power valves in the carb. they unscrew. changed them out and fixed it all. that clear filter will only be about half full all the time and that is ok. make sure that you do not have too much rubber fuel line installed. they tend to collapse when sucking gas hard and thus no gas. also,if you have rubber fuel line make sure that the metal line did not carve a tiny half flap when inserting the metal tube into the rubber hose. the fuel pump pushes gas to the carb but it also pushes the tiny flap down and cuts off the gas to the carb. I found this by total accident on a friends car that had stymied all the mechanics everywhere. good luck

2. snakeman

snakeman Well-Known Member

I believe Mike Christie suggestion of removing the inline filter completelty is one suggestion that has not been followed through on , if your lines are not long enough after removing the filter add a piece of old metal fuel line or a piece of copper line long enough to put clamps on both ends and see if that works and clears up the problem. Seems to me the filter is the problem?

3. Mike Christie

Mike Christie Well-Known Member

I know this is basic information and it probably has already been mentioned, but in regards to rubber fuel lines, there is rubber lines for the fuel system and rubber lines for other systems on the engine. Make sure that the rubber fuel lines you are using are for gasoline, otherwise the gas will deteriorate the lines in a short time resulting in collapse and contamination and total failure. Please don't ask me how I know this.
    Mike

4. GCRIV

GCRIV Well-Known Member

Well, I hate to take out the clear fuel filter, it's the only way I know to monitor the fuel level. How could that be part of the problem? And the tell tale arrows on the fuel filter say that I've got installed the right direction.

5. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

it could be the problem if it's not flowing enough. easy enough to remove, test, then replace.

Z

6. Mike Christie

Mike Christie Well-Known Member

Bypassing the fuel filter is only for the purpose of diagnostics. If the engine runs the same with the filter bypassed then you can eliminate the filter as being the problem. It's part of the process of eliminating questionable fuel system components that may be causing the problem and its one of the easier places to start.
    Please keep us posted on your progress.
    Best of luck,
    Mike

7. GCRIV

GCRIV Well-Known Member

Understand about removing the filter and testing. Unfortunately, the only way to get it to die is to take it out, and run it like a wild banshee on the road. Fun, but then when it dies I have to get someone to come get me. Anyone free this evening?

Other problems first. Having problems getting spark. See other post. :-(

8. snakeman

snakeman Well-Known Member

I agree;"Other problems first" Process of elimination? Your first post on your page 2nd sentence "I'm not getting a lot of gas flow through my fuel filter" Last post on last page " Understand about removing the filter and testing." Unfortunately??? Start with No. 1 problem and work from there ;fuel filters are real reasonable ,check it, if its bad replace it, and if its not you'll have a spare, cheapest fix?