Join Shelby Forums Today

No gas getting to carb.

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by GCRIV, Jul 15, 2008.

1. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Re: Fuel pump working or not?

Yep, that's sure a possibility, Doug's suggestion is a good one. Know anyone with an extra carb you can borrow just to check it out?

2. GCRIV

GCRIV Well-Known Member

Well, I'll have to get a can of parts cleaner, and see what that does. In the mean time, we have a mechanic at work who is a mustang guy. He offered to loan me a carb, I just hate to have him rip off his carb. I guess that would be better than buying a new one, and that not being the problem.

3. Doug_GT350

Doug_GT350 Well-Known Member

What was the outcome of this? Just for the record. Is it running okay now?

4. GCRIV

GCRIV Well-Known Member

No, afraid not. I saw your post, and thought I would start it up just for the heck of it. It will sit there and idle fine, but as it warms up, the rpm's go up quite a bit. I'm wondering if I've got some kind of vacuum leak, but I've checked my hoses, and the seal around my carb, and I can't seem to come up with anything. Anyhow, once the rpm's get up, it starts to run out of fuel in the fuel filter. I suppose I've run out of hair to pull out, and money to go chasing after problems and solutions I'm not sure will work. Thanks for asking.

5. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Did you get a chance to try another carb?

6. GCRIV

GCRIV Well-Known Member

No, never got ahold of another carb to try.

7. tommyleea

tommyleea Well-Known Member

Remove the fuel filter from the system. You can run without the filter for troubleshooting purposes. Not sure of the carb design, but it sounds like you might have a sticking float. Can you remove the top of your carb? If so, take the top off the carb, and crank it up to monitor the fuel in the carb. Also, I would still use the small gas can for my fuel supply. Cheers.

TommyJ

8. GCRIV

GCRIV Well-Known Member

You know, I wondered about a stuck float, but wouldn't that make it flood?

9. tommyleea

If the float sticks down yes. If it sticks up then no. My experience was with an Autolite carb that has dual floats connected together in a u shape. They would rub the side of the carb in the up position. Car ran great until the bowl ran out of fuel. If you hit a bump, the float would drop back down and everything was fine. This problem plagued me for several months. I would start the car up, and sit and time how long before it quit. I had fuel to the carb, and when it ran, it ran great. I finally removed the top of the carb and watched it in operation. That is when I noticed the float sticking. Not sure if you can remove the top of your carb or not. Also, make sure you don't have a pinhole in your fuel line. That one will drive you crazy also.

TommyJ

10. GCRIV

GCRIV Well-Known Member

Many thanks. I'm not familiar with how to rebuild them. I don't know if I want to take that on or not. I have a friend at work with an old mustang, and a while back he offered to let me try his carb. Maybe I'll hit him up again and see what he thinks. Any idea about my potential vacuum problem? I have a line that runs to my distributor, and a plug at the front of the carb. If I remember, those are my only two lines. When I plug each one of those openings with my thumb, there doesn't seem to be any difference. To me that says that there aren't any leaks with my hose. I also took a can of carb cleaner and sprayed it all around where the carb mounts to the manifold. I saw no bubbles, and couldn't notice any difference in the idle. Got me perplexed. :-(

11. tommyleea

What kind of choke do you have, manual or electric? Does the high idle kick down with a tap of the accelerator? Do you have a metal line from the carb to the distributor?

12. Mike Christie

Mike Christie Well-Known Member

GCRIV, in reference to using the carb cleaner. You probably will not see any bubbles when trying to detect a carb/intake manifold gasket leak. Your engine would be sucking air rather than expelling it. The bubbles would come from air trying to escape, like when you get a flat tire. In this case the engine is sucking air from the least path of resistance, the carb, so if anything you would probably see a rapid dissolving of the carb cleaner in the immediate area of the leak.
    As for possible vacuum leak, this would be a good time to invest in a simple vacuum gauge. $10-20 at any auto parts store. Take a reading at both ports at the carb at idle and off idle, also check intake manifold vacuum and record those numbers for reference. Post the inch lb numbers on this post. It is a simple diagnostic test that will give considerable information.
    Hate to see your Mustang just sitting.
    Mike

13. GCRIV

GCRIV Well-Known Member

Well, it's a manual choke, and the line is a rubber line. As for the vacuum gauge, what do you mean 'at idle', and 'off idle'?

14. Mike Christie

Take a vacuum reading while the engine is running at an idle. Write down that reading, then rev the engine slightly and watch the needle on the vacuum gauge. The vacuum gauge will show in inches. I don't remember how many inches of vacuum you should have, but I would think somewhere in the 17 to 19 inch lbs range. The needle should drop when you rev it and then return to normal reading.

I found this on the internet, hope it is helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
  15. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

from the Ford shop manual: The Hi-Po engine should have 15" of vacuum at idle. Do a google on engine vacuum, and you will find a lot of info on diagnosing engine problems via vacuum readings.

Z. Ray

16. Doug_GT350

Very good informative post Mike!

17. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

I use propane to find vac leaks . Buy small cylinder at Ace then i put a hose on it and you can pinpoint the leak.

18. Doug_GT350

I never heard of that until I read Mikes post, I always used the carb cleaner. I guess you're never too old to learn!!!!

19. Mike Christie

I had heard of using propane to find a vacuum leak, but never tried it as propane is heavy compared to air and will settle settle on the ground making it more difficult to smell and detect. As an old propane mechanic, I have seen too many times propane set off just through static electric charge, like for example, undoing a propane line in a motor home and just moving on the carpet can set off an explosion. I think I will stick to the carb. cleaner just because of that reason.

Thanks Doug_GT350. I gained a lot of information myself from the site, but I fell asleep about halfway through reading it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
  20. GCRIV

GCRIV Well-Known Member

Sticky fuel situation?

This problem is from an old post I haven't solved yet. When my '66 289 is running at idle, all is well. When I get it out on the road, as the rpm's go up, the fuel can't keep up, and it cuts out on me. When looking at the clear fuel pump, you can tell that the supply can't keep up with the demand. I've checked the tank, all the lines, the fuel pump, the only thing I haven't really checked is the carb. Could a sticky float or something cause this thing? If so, where can I find a rebuild kit for a Carter 4bbl?

If not, what do you think? Please elaborate...