Join Shelby Forums Today

New to forum

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by KenG., Feb 10, 2005.

1. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

Hi. Just joined. I currently don't own a Shelby. I just sold SFM6S506. I didn't know how much I was going to miss it until it was gone. But I am starting a new project and having four cars was too many, for me anyway.

I am now starting a replica of the 67 Trans Am coupe that Jerry Titus drove. It will be white with the black hood and stripes. It is still a ways away but I will post pics soon.

picture attached was the Shelby I just sold :(

Attached Files:

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Great looking car you just sold! Keep us posted on your replica project.
    RS

3. 95CobraR

95CobraR Active Member

Very nice car you sold :thumbup:

I'm also a big fan of the early Titus cars. I would have bought the '67 replica (lot#682) at B-J if I would have been there.

4. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yeah I miss my Shelby. With the Trans Am car i am doing, I am going to really take my time with it. I am really considering the Total Control front suspension package. Coil-overs etc. 4-Wheel disc. TKO 5speed. I really think these are great looking cars and a bit overlooked right now. Here is a picture of the Goal. We'll see how close I get.

Attached Files:

• JT2.jpg
      JT2.jpg
      File size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2005
  5. 95CobraR

95CobraR Active Member

Great pic!

I've always been confused about this car. I think it started out as #68 but without the stripes. The stripes appeared on the #68 car later in the seaon. I believe it was the same car that later wore #17 and was destroyed at Kent. Titus borrowed the car of John McComb for that last race of the season (and wore #17). Buckman finished 2nd which clinched the championship for Ford (Titus was 21st). Titus won Sebring, Mid-O, Continental (CO), & Crow's (CA) in the car.

Good luck on the car. Please keep us posted with pics and updates on the project.

I built a road race replica of the '66 Titus car. He wore #1 in that season, but I put the #2 on the car (the two Shelby team cars wore #1 & #2 in '68).

Do you have the video tape "The history of the Trans-Am Series 1966-1992"?
    It was issued by J. B. Heimann Productions (1993).
    Doc

6. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

7. 95CobraR

95CobraR Active Member

Great link. I had no idea the car was restored and still running. I couldn't find the selling price in the B-J link, but I suspect it sold for a big number.

In the book "Trans-Am The Pony Car Wars 1966-1972" (by Dave Friedman and available from MBI publishing; 1-800-826-6600 or motorbooks.com), they show Titus's badly wrecked car and quote it as "destroyed". BTW, this book has numerous photos of every T/A Mustang that was raced (Shelby, Bud Moore, and indepedent teams). Maybe the sold car was a rebody? :confused:

I'll go dig out some old mags and other books I've collected over the years and see what I can verify (and what I can't). I'd like to get that "Dream Car Garage" tape also. I usually watch the show but missed that one :doh: . They certainly do beautiful work at that shop.
    Doc

8. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

Doc,

Boy, I would really like to have some other photos. I just cant seem to find any. Dream Car Garage had this car on when they were restoring the 65 GT350 a few years back. They were supposed to release it this year but I havent seen anything yet.

I would appreciate any info you come across.

Thanks
    Ken

9. 95CobraR

95CobraR Active Member

Ken,
    That book above must have 20 photos of the '67 Titus car.

I also found the series that "Vintage Motorsport" Vintage Motorsport (link) magazine ran in 1995/1996. Rich Taylor wrote the articles.

Part 1 was the 4-1995 issue (not the month but the issue number; I believe they published 6 times a year). 1966
    P#2 5-1995 was the 1967 year of T/A.
    P#3 6-95, 1-96, 2-96, 3-96, 4-96, & 5-96 (8 issues total).

Here's a quote from the 5-95 issue: "A Shelby Trans-Am Mustang weighed under 2600 lb. produced around 425 HP and would go over 150 MPH. The only color was white and the retail price was around $6,000, though most of the people who bought a racer from Shelby were being subsidized by Ford in one way or another so the price didn't really matter. In 1967, such a Mustang was the class of the field. Better yet, you could buy it off the self and race it the next weekend. Shelby's answered the privateer's dream...a truly competitive turn-key race car at an affordable price."

My "filing system" is not very well organized on other articles. I couldn't put my finger on the other T/A articles. It may take a rainy day. I'll re-watch that video and see what it has on the 1967 season.

P/S The magazine also quotes the Titus car as being destroyed at Kent. :confused:
    Cheers,
    Doc J

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2006