Join Shelby Forums Today

New Goodyear Speedway 350 Tires? Small Letter

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by rcgt350, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Dave I really do believe we both agree on the major points :) and I have long focused on the Ford dates as anyone that has come in contact with me will tell you. Approx 80-85% of what we judge and details we attempt to reproduce are related to what was done at San Jose.

Not sure if the Ford process is a that much of an "odd ball" as similar things were done for bog orders of taxis, police cars, and other special orders.

As a side note ... the whole use of "Knock down" term is a pet peeve but that's just me and no reason to get off topic with that subject :blink:

Very Merry Christmas to you all :dance:

2. Shelby6t7

Shelby6t7 Well-Known Member

I would like to clear the air (forum) on a few points made here. I am not resistant to any discrepancy that contradicts what I believe to be true, Just ask Bob Gaines, we have bumped heads at many SAAC conventions during Concours judging. Sometimes he has been correct, and other times I have been correct on things we disagreed on, most recently on the topic of negative battery cable routing which I pointed out to Bob what he believed to be correct was not, which he later agreed after I referred him to the Ford assembly manual. My point is that we all know on this forum that the 67 Shelby is the most contravertial and had the most running changes of any other year. Being a Concours judge, I am always open to new ideas, or theories on these cars, that's what makes you a more well rounded judge. However, when photographic evidence disproves what is considered to be written in stone, regardless of what person or "paperwork" might say. (And we all know how reliable original paperowrk is?) Then we must take a second look.

To stick to the topic.....How many of you in this forum have heard of a Speedway "GT350" tire? I "bet" most of you haven't. But yet, it is what a Lime Gold GT-350 has in a photo in the back of the LAX facility taken in 67, and I also suspect it is what the red 500 in the postcard has as well.
    Also, I will be providing original photos of later cars, as well as a 68 Shelby with large lettered Speedways as soon as I can dig them up, just to stir the pot a bit.

Kenny

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  3. Shelby6t7

I was referring to the discussion of the tire. I don't believe that the larger letter tire was ever used after a certain date. I have never seen one on an original car after car number, maybe 400.

Here are original factory photos circa 1968 at the A.O. Smith plant taken from Pete Dishers website, along with an original owner shot, clearly showing Large letter Speedway 350 tires installed on new 68 Shelbys.........
    Would any other "expert" care to comment on this? How 'bout you Frank, or maybe Dave? Bob feel free to chime in as well.

Kenny

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  4. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

That one photo alone appears to make the case that there is no cut off point on the Large letter speedway. There is another pic on his site that clearly shows the cars with the speedway as they go under the lamps.
    Are there any late 67 or 68 owners with original pix of their cars or an original spare in the trunk following this thread? What do you have? Pix?

Mike

5. GT350DAVE

GT350DAVE Well-Known Member

Kenny,
    The factory document dated Oct.6th,1966 states that the Goodyear large letter 1 3/4 inch lettered Speedway 350 tires would be phased out and replaced with the smaller 3/4 inch lettered Goodyear speedway 350 tire. It went on to say that they had enough for approximately 230 vehicles and that after the mold is changed the large letter tire would be discontinued. If you need a copy, I would be glad to send it to you. I did fax a copy to Bob.
    I went up in my loft and pulled the spare tire that came years ago in my 68 350 #298 and it looks like the same tire in the photos that you posted off of Pete Disher's site. There is one problem however. Instead of saying E70 15 Speedway 350, it says E70 15 Wide Tread GT. I had believed it was the original spare but that should be checked with Pete to see if the early cars came with Goodyear Wide Tread GT tires. In the photos on Pete's site I couldn't read either Speedway 350 or Wide Tread GT. Did anyone else find a readable photo? I could have missed it.
    Dave

6. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Dave ,I think for 67 we have the tire issue sorted out but I have long believed that in 68 they started with the large letter and then switched to the small letter .There are way more original examples of the small letter in 68 then the large letter version. From observations It seemed to be a short time period like 67.I have no idea why they flip flopped like in 67. The reason for the size change has always puzzled me. It goes against logic that Goodyear would downsize their advertising exposer by making the size of the letters smaller and then to do it again the next year. My personal opinion is that the spare tire you have has been changed to the wide tread version which was used on Corvettes at the same time in history as the Shelby's. John Kelsey also repros the Speedway Wide Tread for the Corvettes .

7. Shelby6t7

Dave
    Here is what Pete Disher has written on his website under the "Wheels and Tires" heading.
    Kenny

Tires
    "It appears there were two different tires used during 1968 production. The first tire was a Goodyear Speedway. The size is E70x15. The tire has the word "Goodyear" in large white letters. There is currently a reproduction of the tire."

8. GT350DAVE

GT350DAVE Well-Known Member

Bob,
    Lets get more confused.
    I just got a PM from a member who has a Goodyear speedway tire which is his original spare in his 68. He said there is no 350 on the tire, only speedway. The Goodyear Wide Tread GT tire I have is of unknown origin but is nothing like the Corvette tire Kelsey shows on his site. The one I have only has the Goodyear raised in white letters. The Wide Tread GT part is black wall. The Goodyear lettering is also quite large, about double the size of the Kelsey tire, similar to the photos off of Pete's site.
    Dave

9. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

Hey Kenny---I don't know ANYTHING--NOTHING ---NADDA about the 68's. Never had any interest in them. Not to change the subject, BUT do you still have a car[67 GT 500] for sale? If so, contact me at boss9@alltel.net
    Frank

Tis the season to be jolly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Bob Gaines

??I have never seen or heard of one like what you discribe. Just when I think I am getting a handle on this issue something else pops up to add more mystery. Also besides the large and small letter speedway there is the E70 15 polyglas blackwall tire that was introduced shortly after the KR began production and then used on all the cars to the end of production . (or supposed to)

11. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

I have an original E-70 blackwall in my trunk of my KR convert as the spare. These things are selling for $20k as a set from what I have seen.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.herman/MY68KRConvertible/photo#5073594854668675058

If someone reproduced these, there would be about 400 happy kr owners.

I do have a late 67 (#2532) but I can not find any pictures with a side view with the tires. I am guessing small letter would be correct for show puroses but who knows now.

I am sure you guys have all the promotional material for 67's. There is a lime green 67 GT500 next to a marina with people hanging on it and it just has the "speedway" letters on it, no 350.

12. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

The point made about many production items being dependent on the Ordering DSO, and relating to the Fomoco vin suddenly make a lot of sense. And, this will relate, of course after much debate, to the 67' production changes post. Things are about to get clearer.

As far as this lettering size goes, all I can say is that the repop tires on #0036 bought back in the 90's (ah, I mean the tires here) are the same sized lettering that was on my bald original spare that was in the trunk of the car when I bought it in 1971. Speedway 350's were out of production by then and F60/15's where on the wheels then. Lucky me, with an early car ,buying the correct sized letered tires. Because now who would you sell then too?

13. Lugnut

Lugnut Well-Known Member

I have the new, never been on the ground Speedway 350 spare that came in my uncles long gone 68 KR Conv. Still has the stenciling. Would a pic of that help in this discussion. I also have some used 350's as well that came with my 67.

14. Bob Gaines

It would be great if you could check to see if it is a big letter or small letter speedwayon the one from the 68. If you can't tell measure the size of the letter's and report back with the cars Shelby number. Thank you.

15. mherman2

This is great, I love the AD and how in mentions the roll bar is standard implying your wife may roll the car.

16. mherman2

Are these small letter repros available yet?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  17. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

Contact Kelsey Tire directly and you will have the answer. Randy