Join Shelby Forums Today

Need Paint Colors for 67 GT350 Engine

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by rcgt350, Jul 20, 2006.

1. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

Getting ready to paint the components on my 289 HiPo.
    What shade of black are the pulleys, fan,water pump,power steering,crank pulley, dampner?
    Alternator brackets?
    Power steering brackets?
    What color is the water neck?
    Starter?
    Fan?
    Power steering pump?
    Would you recomend leaving the intake natural finish or clear coating?
    Exhaust manifolds, any special paint for them?
    Where do I send the alternator to be refinsihed?
    Does anyone paint the water bypass hose and clamps Blue and then install?

I was going to use the DDL paint for the Blue. Should I use a primer or not?

Thanks Randy

2. Magstar

Magstar Well-Known Member

wow so many questions,I use Duplicolor Ford Blue(Dark)no primer just many light coat,different brands will be different shades,on black pulleys and brackets only Krylon semi-flat black very,very durable and easy to use.I leave my intakes natural,don,t paint my bypass,s. Idon,t have the ps pump color handy can,t help there ,thermostat housing blue. Thats my .02 cents

3. Magstar

Magstar Well-Known Member

Oh forgot exhaust manifolds try Eastwoods for manifold coating.

4. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

The story goes: the intakes where installed at Shelby American. So, they removed the factory intake. This means the thermstat housing, bolts, bypass hose, clamps for this hose, should all be fomoco blue as SA reused those parts.
    Paint: as Magstar stated. And no primer - seems to cause chipping.
    Manifolds: Eastwood has 2 types of manifold coating. Use the dark stuff. Make sure the manifolds are sand blasted to bare metal before you use the stuff. Some say there should be blue engine overspray on it where it meets the cyl head. Looks better without that.
    Power steering mount: don't sand blast that. It leaves an obviously sand blasted finish. Clean it, polish it as best you can. Maybe clear coat it.
    P/S reservoir: color is either black, or, any shade of G.M. teal blue - gloss. Color seems to be dependant on who supplied the pump. I don't recall which is which.
    Engine mounts: natural
    Fan spacer: same as P/S pump bracket