Join Shelby Forums Today

Missing 1966 GT350?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by bentring, Dec 14, 2007.

1. bentring

bentring New Member

In 1987 I was living in a small town in AZ. I was looking for a party I had been invited to on a back street at the end of a canyon when I came across a Mustang sitting in a car port. Having had two when I was younger, I went up to the house to inquire about possibly buying the delapidated looking faded red '66. There was no answer so I walked to the car port to take a closer look. To my surprise, it was a '66 GT 350 Shelby! It looked like it had been sitting there for more than a decade. All the right parts and details down to the heads and fat harmonic balancer. the Shelby tag was gone from the top of the inner fender and I could make out the "K" code serial number. I had been to many Shelby shows with my father who is an avid Shelby enthusiast and I know a "real" GT350 when I see one. This was the real thing. I tried many times to see who owned the car and if it was for sale but no answer, at the house. The neighbor said the man who owned the car only used the residence as a vacation home and rarely used the home. The house at the end of a dead-end with virtually no traffic and I could understand why it could sit there for years with no one stealing the valuable parts off it. From the street it just looked like an old coupe left there to rot.
    Anyway, time moved on and I moved to Wyoming and forgot about the car. Jump to February 2007 when my parents moved to Arizona. I went to visit them and thought about the car one day on a ride through the town with my father. I reminded him of the car and we started talking Shelby. The next thing I knew we were looking down all the back streets trying to remember where it had been. We were at the end of a street in the canyon when we both saw the front end of a red mustang peeping out of a car port. "That's the car!" I exclaimed. It was in the same spot just like time and the owner had forgotten about it. Nothing had changed in 20 years! We went to the house but no answer so I took photos while we looked the car over. It's just like someone bought the car, drove it a couple years and forgot they had it. I sure would like to know what the story is.
    There is now a nest of some sort on the top of the engine and the door was left open at some point but the car is otherwise exactly as I remember it. I had taken photos then and some with a digital camera in February and compared them and it's the same. The car hasn't moved an inch! The only thing that's not original that we can see is the paint and someone had added an "R" model front spoiler. I have photos if you would like to see them. As yet, my father has had no luck finding the owner but I am sure the car is still there as my father drives past the place on a weekly basis to see if there is anyone around the house. Please feel free to contact me for the photos. I can send them to you over the internet. I did contact Shelby Owners Group and sent them photos but haven't heard from them. The editor said it the photos would be printed in the magazine but I haven't seen them.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  2. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

Yeah, those guys at SOG tend to drop the ball sometimes...plus, the magazine doesn't come out that often. :D

So, are you buying the car?

3. bentring

bentring New Member

I can't find anything out about the owner. My father got the guys name but who are we kidding anyway. We don't have that kind of money plus the guy obviously doesn't want to get rid of it or it would have been sold and restored by now. I sure would like to know the story behind that car though. My dad has tried to call the guy several but all he ever gets is a voice mail from some office in Phoenix. Would you like to see the photos? I would love to get some feedback. As for the serial number...I can't make it out but it looks like it's 6R09K.... and there is a star at the end but the numbers are pitted. I do have a photo if you want to try for yourself. I can't post photos on here. Send me an e-mail. It hurts me to see such a great car sit there and rott into the ground.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  4. computerworks

5. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

I sent you an email, however I would suggest revising your previous post and removing the VIN # ASAP. You can leave in the R09K, but everything after that is considered top secret (there should be a "6" before the "R09K", but that's probably not legible since it's pitted like you said).

6. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

it's also good that you not publish the Shelby #...

Mike

7. bentring

bentring New Member

The photos are up in the gallery. Thanks for letting me know about the numbers being secret but they are so pitted they are not legible. I got rid of them anyway. Look under "Missing 1966 GT350?".
    I thought there was a number 6 there but it's so pitted I couldn't tell if it was a number or a big pit. I have a lot more photos from February and from 1987 if you want tio see them.

8. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

You could check with the appraisal district to see who owns the house and track him down that way. (Edit - I didn't notice that you had the guy's name.) Don't give up! Maybe you can't afford it but you'll never know until you contact the owner.

Thanks for posting the pictures!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

I am always amazed at the condition of cars from Arizona. If that car had been anywhere else...like the midwest or northeast you would purchase the car in pieces. A rusty fender here...a rusty fender there...

10. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Really great pics!!:thumbsup:
    Vern

11. bentring

bentring New Member

Thanks Vern!
    I am a photojournalist with the Associated Press.

12. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

That will make a nice car.

13. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Very cool car! IMHO you should at least send the VINs to Howard Pardee so he can verify if it's the real deal or not. It may well be a car that isn't in SAAC's database and is indeed "missing" and is in the "barn find" category.

A few things on the car have obviously been messed with but there are some nice original Shelby details there also like:

- Original 10-spokes

- Sill plates with what looks like original Shelby emblems

- Koni's and washer reinforced shock towers

- Original even bolt spacing exprt brace

- Correct steering wheel and center cap

- Other HiPo stuff like air cleaner lid, fan?, alt pulley

This is the kind of stuff we all dream about!

14. 66gtk

66gtk Well-Known Member

What a shame. So, anybody (such as yourself) can walk up to the uncovered car, open the doors and hood and help themselves? I'm finding this hard to believe.

15. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

FYI

Howard has received info on this car previously.
    It is legit.
    Shame the Vin tag is gone.

Mike

16. computerworks

No sweat, Mike... it'll turn up. :unsure: :p

17. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

My advice to you is keep this on the down low. Your giving out way to much info. Someone will come along and swipe this car out from under you. Find a way to come up with the money. Sell your body, your clothes if you have to.

Jim

18. crzy4shelbys

The car's not for sale. The gentleman that owns it has owned it since 1975 and it's his upcoming retirement project. Hopefully he knows the importance of doing it right and that car will see the road again in it's previous glory. He and his neighbors are approached fairly often with offers to buy.

19. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

I would be worried about having it stolen.

Z. Ray

20. crzy4shelbys

Me too!!! I can't believe he's got a two car garage and keeps it outside! Hopefully the retirement project plans invlove moving it into the garage! From one of the undercarriage pic's that bentring sent me, I believe it may have been a Sapphire Blue car before the red repaint.