Join Shelby Forums Today

Looking for a Cobra/Ace owner from 1982

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by 56ace, Mar 31, 2007.

1. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Not sure if the right place to post this, but I'm sure someone will let me know if it (I) should go elsewhere. I am trying to find some history on an AC Ace and while it is not a Cobra, it was supposedly owned by a Cobra owner so I thought I would give this forum (and a couple of others) a try to see if any old Cobra owners know anything about the car.
    Here is a link to a web page I put together on the car that gives what history I have on the car as well as showing some of the resto work that was performed;
    http://members.impulse.net/~sfm081/index_html/Acerev1History.html
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jay

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  2. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

3. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi jay!looks like you are getting closer to the end result,and what major project!I'm fairly certain the Bill Norton you are looking for was the owner of Valley Ford Parts,and he owned several different performance Fords,Shelbys
    etc.over the years.Most likely now he is retired,Several people in L.A. should be able to find out,what he is up to now.Ask any of the long time business owners that specialize in Ford stuff,and you should find something.Good Luck

4. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Thanks for the lead. I'll start checking down that path.
    Jay

5. rr64

rr64 Well-Known Member

It has been several years ago now, but I purchased some of Mr. Norton's left over Cobra parts. I believe he moved to Arizona or New Mexico. I believe he occasionally sells parts on ebay® too. You might try asking the SAAC representative for Arizona if they can help.

Good luck.

Dan

6. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the leads on Bill Norton, but my car's previous owner recently contacted me says he thinks the Cobra and Ace owner he bought the Ace from was named Tim. So I guess its back to the registry to look for Cobra owners named Tim and lived in the LA/N Hollywood area in 1982-83. I think I'll go get a beer now.:evo:

7. csxsfm

csxsfm New Member

Back in the late 70s or early 82s their was a "Cobraized" AEX in Phoenix, AZ owned briefly by the late Karl "Al" Stetmeier who also had a series of Shelbys and a road race Boss 302. I can't remember who he bought it from but it may have come from Tucson,AZ. He and I helped with each others Shelby racers and I remember having the AC's dash panel out to do some serious rewiring. I don't remember him putting his name on it but he did have a habit of IDing all his tools and equipment.
    The car was blue - Viking Blue - I think, and it still had rear drum brakes and spoke wheels. The body was rough and was fatigue-cracked under both doors which he repaired.
    Al was an exellent mechanic and fabricator and worked as a sheet metal fabricator in an aerospace company (D'Velco). He was also a decorated Viet Nam vet with the 1st Air Cavalry. Al sold the car and the next owner tried to sell it as a genuine Cobra and got in trouble with the law. I don't remember his name but I think he was from California.
    Al died about 4 years ago of lung cancer. His last job was as a helicopter pilot flying off a tuna boat based on Guam!

8. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

CSXSFM,
    Thank you very much for the information and I am sorry to hear of Al's passing. It sounds like he was a very interesting and talented man. I believe the car I have was the same car you are referencing as I went to the glove box door and it could easily be Stetmeier written there as opposed to Stettorier I thought it was.
    It is interesting that you mention it may have been Viking blue as I decided today to paint the car that color. I have sent you an e-mail with a couple of more questions and appreciate you helping me fill in some more history on what I believe is my current car.
    Jay Peterson