Join Shelby Forums Today

Latest on Unique Performance Cars

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mherman2, Mar 2, 2008.

1. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

This car sold for $150k, the other car below for $140 at Barret Jackson, this is where I got the pricing from. Hey, I love the vintage stuff, this about recouping losses a this point.

I think my plan is get the shell, store it until the dust settles here and then paint it and sell it or build, own it, have it, and sell it down the road. My gut is to paint and sell.

Year 1968
    CarMake SHELBY
    CarModel GT500 SR
    CarStyle CUSTOM CONVERTIBLE
    ExteriorColor YELLOW
    Interiorcolor BLACK
    Cylinders V8
    Engine 427
    Transmission 5-SPEED MANUAL
    Summary 1 of 1. This car is a real registered Shelby GT500SR built by Carroll Shelby and Unique Performance. Documented in the Shelby Registry. Sold as a package with Lot #1325.1 and #1326.
    Description The Shelby GT500 SR comes as a package deal with a brand new International 7400 CXT truck and a Featherlite matching trailer that cost over $160,000 for the truck and trailer alone. 1 of 1. This car is a real registered Shelby GT500 SR Street Racer built by Carroll Shelby and Unique Performance. Car has less then 200 miles. It is one of only 75 registered Shelbys in the Continuation Series recently completed and is the only convertible in existence in the world. This car documented in the Shelby Registry. This 1968 Mustang was stripped to a bare shell and was created with the best technology that Carroll Shelby and Unique Performance could build. A few of the performance highlights include a 427cid Shelby Performance aluminum FE engine with an estimated 600hp, DC&O electronic Fuel Injection, Tremec 5-speed, Shelby signatures on the gauges and glovebox. Hurricane air conditioning system, Sony 8 disc DVD system, GPS tracking system with alarm, Currie 31 spline and 9" posi-traction with 17x9.5" tires. This amazing car comes equipped with Unique Performance power rack & pinion steering and the best of the best suspension parts that Unique Performance could provide.

$140k for this car:

LotNumber 1233.1
    Year 1968
    CarMake SHELBY
    CarModel GT500 E
    CarStyle FASTBACK
    ExteriorColor PEPPER GRAY/BLACK
    Interiorcolor BLACK
    Cylinders V8
    Engine 408
    Transmission 6-SPEED MANUAL
    Summary GT500 E Continuation Shelby Mustang built by Unique Performance with a 351/408 Windsor V8, Shelby-tuned to 475hp, 6-speed Tremec T56 with vented air ducts to brakes.
    Description 351/408 Ford Windsor, new Shelby-tuned 475hp, 6-speed transmission T56, high back bucket seats, 3" racing seat belt, 4-point click type, Phantom II Autometer gauges, 160mph speedometer, Lecarra 15" wood steering wheel, CAE sound damping 10" clutch, Titon cable-type clutch, PSE wheels front 17 x 8, rear 17 x 11 with tubing, 2 1/2" aluminum pipes, Eleanor Light package, NOS 125 shot disconnected 31 Spline 9" posi-traction differential 3.89:1 9" gears, power steering, Total Control rack & pinion steering and Baer Tracker Bump Steer adjustable tie rods. Front brakes: Baer 13 x 1.1 track system PBR 2-piston aluminum. Rear brakes: 12 x .81 Touring system PBRI Piston Aluminum. Slotted cross-drilled & Zinc washed, vented air ducts to brakes. MSD ignition, MSD Coil, JBA tuned headers with ceramic coating. Dual 2.5" exhaust with H-pipe and Spin Teck 2.5" muffler aluminum. Griffin aluminum cross-flow radiator driveshaft safety loop roll bar, 4-point, TOTO control coilover kit, rear Koni gas shocks, Shelby style traction bars and Hi-tech rear suspension. GPS tracking. Race ready and set up for the track, but never raced.

2. mherman2

Another option here is that if any of you guys or friends of yours have the means to build this car, then we can split the proceeds or work out a deal of % of ownership based building costs. Then sell it together and split it up.

Shelby Licensing would supply specs to build to and tag it as a Shelby Continuation vehicle which would carry more weight at sales time than just any Eleanor. Kind of like a CSX 4000 in a way.

Just a thought. I think the car being a Supersnake Model will fetch a descent price. Someone will want to have this car and will love it like we all love our own cars. It's just a different buyer for these types of cars. With the U.S. dollar so weak right now, a lot of cars are headed overseas.

Mike

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  3. mherman2

Yes, a couple people have offered. Not sure they can get access thought due to legal crap.

4. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

Mike,

Are you entitled to purchase any other of Unique's assets that may be helpful in finishing your car like driveline, suspension or interior components? Or was it so bad financially at the end that they didn't have any stock on hand besides what was already bolted to other guys' cars?

5. mherman2

I heard from some people close go the situation that the last few days were total mayhem and anything of value was thrown in trucks, trunks, cars, trailers etc... The employees were not being paid and found it suitable to pay themselves. From someone who was there.

What a circus huh?

Mike

6. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

You would have to first make sure that CS would extend the License to who ever he sells the Shell to. It might be a Licensing Deal just for those who LOST with UP and they must be the ones to have the cars finished before they are sold. Something that should be looked into.
    David.

7. sharpe427

sharpe427 Well-Known Member

This is true in at least one case. I have a friend who worked the line there and he had to get his stuff out in a big hurry to beat the lockout. Seems like most of the floor workers knew what was coming and kept as little there as possible to minimize potential losses. He has also verified that quite a few of the employees owed $ took a lot of merchandise with them until they get their checks. Quite a few superchargers, nitrous kits and such.....
    I can't say that I find this a good thing, but at least they can get something to get by on until new work pans out. I have also learned that the FBPD has finally released all the personal belongings..like toolboxes..that they impounded. heck of a time to be looking for work in DFW. :angry:

8. shelbnut

shelbnut Active Member

Actually, I've seen the cars in lock-up. Most of the ones that are painted had Tyvec type car covers over them. I wonder if the more completed cars will be offered to there depositors for $8500?

9. mherman2

I am going to find out today. My gut is those will go to auction but we will see. There is also a court order trying to block this whole thing and asking them to give us our cars as is since we already bought them. Up in the air, again.

Mike

10. geteup

geteup Member

I saw one go for $86K either on Barret/Jackson or was it the other guys that have a similiar type of auction.

11. tesgt350

The ones that usually go that cheap are the ones that are "Home Built" Cars. You can buy every single pice of the Eleanor Kit from Vendors.
    David.

12. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

I guess the big question you have to ask is...for $8500 all you get is a shell? What about the other $50 k in parts that you paid for? I guess those are gone and not to be included in your purchase...if you have never built a car from the ground up and i am talking about from a shell not a car you took a part and restored but a bare shell it is a lot of time and money. You need to put together a list of the parts you would need.
    Motor
    Transmission
    Everything under the hood from motor mounts to radiator to headers
    Exhaust
    Suspension -full front and rear
    Wheels and tires
    Brakes
    Wiring
    Interior
    Seals (Which i am always amazed at the price)
    And for the many parts you have to purchase high end. TCP suspension should cost about $ 8 k. Full alum 427 fe carb to pan and show polished is close to 20 k. Tremec TKO 600 is 3k. Big $$ for brakes.
    I have touched just a few items you would need to built this car...i could go on for a while with parts to make the car what Unique promised to built.
    Then on top of it you need to find someone that can put the car together and do a great paint job and the time it will take to do it all.
    At the end of the day...if you build the car and spend an additional 100 k plus to build the car can you sell it for more and capture back the money you have lost?
    I dont think you will be anywhere close to that number.
    Built it if you want the car to enjoy and drive forever b/c you will be so upside down on the car it will make you throw up to ever sell it.
    These are just my thoughts....Good luck and i hope Unique gets what is coming to them.

13. tesgt350

The money he has lost so far is GONE bye-bye. Now he has to decide if he wants to spend $8,500.00 for a Shell of a Car (hopefully one with a CLEAR & Correct Title) and then spend another $100K to $150K to finish it. After thinking about it more and reading some of the Posts, if I wanted one that bad, I would just buy one that was already built off of ebay or just buy a 1967 Shelby G.T. 500.
    David.

14. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

This is what i would do...pick up a 67 or 68 shelby gt 500 needing work minis original motor and tranny and put the TCP suspension in it, alum 427 and 5 speed. And make a real eleanor...i know the purists will hate me but make something that is already in the registry and not something that "could" be in the registry.

15. waXology

waXology Member

Shows how much worth Shelby gives themselves.... allow anyone to make them and they will throw a continuation badge on it like they don't care.. Sounds like they just want it all to be over.

I'm keen to see who the DA targets on these 25 felony charges for UP as well!

This thing plays out like a movie!

16. tesgt350

It started out as a cool concept. It just went down hill fast thanks to UP Greed.
    David.

17. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

I don't know Mike, you have already been smoked for a big dollar. Why you want to start the game again is beyond me? I don't think this car is ever going to have the value it will cost to build it. Look down the road, the Shelby "license" is worthless, a lot of big bills ahead, etc...I think most people will look back at this and say, "this was another (failed) scheme by Shelby to make a fast buck" . Go out and buy a nice vintage car to add to the collection and watch it appreciate over the long term. I am surprised Shelby is not charging a fee to officially add his name to it.

I enjoyed John76s comment regarding a "real Eleanor".

Contrary to popular belief by some current Shelby employees, there was never such thing as a GT500E. Eleanor is made up from whole cloth. I guess that is treading on the other Shelby lawsuits.

:wacko: :wacko:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  18. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Correction Pete...It was never Shelby's scheme. The idea was brought to him...as are hundreds of other potential deals annually.
    Randall

19. mherman2

Well, not sure what I am going to do but thanks for the input.

In my opinion, I think Shelby Licensing and Shelby autos should step in and do more than just agree to license the cars if built to specs. They should finish the cars or contract to have another 3rd party finish them and foot the bill. In my opinion Unique should have had the hammer fall from Shelby long before it did. For those who have paid for their cars in full, this is the only thing that makes sense for them. Spending more money after losing $200k+ is a tough for anyone. One guy is out $500k on three cars.

20. tesgt350

CS just Licesned his Name to the Project and OK'ed the designs. He did NOT build the Cars. The fact that he said that he would License/Badge the Cars if done to specs is great. I am sorry that you and others are out all that Money, but you took a chance on a Risk that UP would not rip you off. It still blows my mind that people sent the $100K or more just for a Deposit.
    David.