Join Shelby Forums Today

Installing 7AC power steering pump pulley?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by rcgt350, Jun 29, 2007.

1. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

I went to install my 7AC Power Steering Pump Pulley (67GT350) and it went on about 3/8" and got very tight. Still needs to go another 9/16". Any suggestions? Should it be this tight? I used a piece of 3/8" ready rod screwed into the pump shaft, slid washers over against the pulley hub and tightened down with the nut on the rod holding onto the pulley. It finally got so tight, that it wouldn't move any further. No paint on the shaft or the pulley hole. I put WD40 on for a lubricant. I measured the shaft and hole difference and have about .010"-.011" difference.

2. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

They are very tight. I would suggest getting one of the installation tools as they are hardened steel and have oversized nuts unlike a threaded rod. Around here Autozone will let you borrow the puller/installer kit for free with a return deposit. Another trick is to put the pulley in an oven and heat it up to about 250 degrees first.

3. rcgt350

Ok, I was going to get an installer, but the one auto parts store said to do it this way. I thought about warming the pulley too, but with it painted, wasn't sure how that would go. I'll go this morning and get someone with the tool to pull it on properly. Thanks Randy

4. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

An impact wrench helps tremendously as well.

5. rcgt350

Ok, Got the pulley on just fine. Went and got a proper tool and the job is done right now. Once I mounted the pump on the engine, I had to pull the pulley back on the shaft until it aligned with the crank pulley. Now the belt I ordered form Marti Auto Works is too short, quite a bit. It's the only one they list for 67HiPo 289 without air, or thermactor. It also calls for the 1/2" wide belt which fits nice on the crank pulley, but sits up on the pump pulley as it is the narrower groove. Anyone know which if Marti has the right belt?
    I wonder what these big pulleys came off of originally?
    Randy