Join Shelby Forums Today

Inner Fender color

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Jimmy J1, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Jimmy J1

Jimmy J1 Well-Known Member

Hi, we are about to paint the fenders on the 67 GT500. What color should we paint the backside of the fender??

2. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think you are asking on the underside of the fender,which is red oxide primer with outside body color overspray.If you are lucky Jeff can post some pictures of original examples......there may also be some sound deadner under there and typically it would be near the headlamp area.The concoursmustang site may also have some good pictures,hopefully this helps.
    P.D.:)

3. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

It is as P.D. described with the further clarification in reference to the sound deadener/sealer - The splash shield were put in place for the purpose of keeping under fender debris from collecting in the rear and front of the fenders . The sound deadener /sealer was sprayed applied around the perimeter of the rubber tipped edges of the metal fender splash shields thus sealing better the shields to the edges of the fender.This was done to both the front and rear splash shields. THAT overspray of sealer/deadener is what P.D. mentioned that you would also find under the fender. I mentioned it's use/application only to give a better idea how to replicate the pattern for the best desired effect. Bob

4. Jimmy J1

Jimmy J1 Well-Known Member

Thanks! With the nvsaac site down, I couldn't find a picture anywhere of this area.

5. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Not the best IMHO place to be doing your homework for original sorts of details. The owner dimply posts pictures that are sent in - not just pictures of original cars or only correctly detailed cars

Would agree with the details mentioned above. The big trick is to consider how the paint was applied to the fender originally (passing the gun around the wheel well opening, covering the rear edge so no bare areas could be seen with the door open. little along the fender edge to the inner fender panels - stuff like that) and reproducing "logical" overspray patterns on the back side. In some cases the overspray got pretty heavy producing a fairly nice finish on the rear but that is not the norm from my observations

Consider this practices as you paint all the panels that were short off your car originally