Join Shelby Forums Today

How to tell original 10 spoke wheels?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by jonk67, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jonk67

jonk67 New Member

Hi all, may have a chance to pick up these wheels but want to know how to identify them as original 60's Shelby 10 spokes. Did they come in 15" or 14" only? Are there some markings on the rear and if they check out what should they be worth?

Here is the description:
    4 1967-1968 Shelby GT 350 or Shelby GT 500 Optional 10 Spoke Aluminum Wheels 245/50-ZR15 tires. This is an old set of wheels NOT a new set of reproduction wheels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks, Jon

2. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

The wheels in the pictures are Branda reproductions, dead giveaway is they don't have tapered spokes.

3. thefordshow

thefordshow Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Well, I am not going to much help, but I can tell you 10 spokes were not an option on 1968 Shelbys. All cars were hubcap cars. The exception being a few (less than 5) cars that were shipped overseas.

There are about half dozen versions of this wheel cast over the last forty years. Here is a link to some more information. Maybe someone will chime in as to what the oldest version would be....

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/spokes.HTML

5. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

on the spoke where is the "taper"? I looked and dont see it. Also do the wheels normally have a shine or dullness on the smooth surfaces?

Jim

6. Coralsnake

Look at the five spokes that come off the center hub, it is easiest to see the taper of the spoke there. The spoke is wider at the hub and becomes more narrow as it reaches the rim. Some wheels have a constant width spoke.

7. Shelby~gt350#3000

OK. Here is a pic of the wheel from #3000. What can you tell me by looking at this wheel?

Jim

Attached Files:

8. Coralsnake

Those are definetly tapered spokes. That makes it an "older version" of the wheel. I think the period correct wheels have the valve stems between the spokes, but maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong. :thumbsup:

9. thefordshow

thefordshow Well-Known Member

I think the "tony branda" early 10 spokes, before the re-tooling had the value stem between the spokes,not on the rim lip, taper on the spokes. His also had flat washers with the lug nuts.

10. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

That is one of the 80's reissues. It can be identified by the countersunk valve stem and the shank style washered lug nuts.

Pete I could never correct you, but you are misinformed:thumbsup: What we would call vintage (67-68 versions) had valve on outer flange like the one pictured but they aren't countersunk.

11. Coralsnake

You can correct me if I am wrong, there is a reason why you never do ...

:)

12. Coralsnake

If we can agree to which ones came first , I will add that to the webpage

13. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Too easy.
    The first were the S7MS 1007 D which had the tapered lug seats and the stem on the outer rim. First revision came a year about a year later which was under same part number and identical but had a 1/8" cast in place spacer to attempt to clear the 68 calipers. The reissues or recuts are from the original molds made by CS wheel corp in the late 70's ,early 80's and have the shank style lug seats and can have the stem either between the spokes or on the outer rim depending on when manufactured.
    All these have the tapered spokes. Some of the reissues have S7MS 1007 D cast in the back of spoke, some don't.

14. Shelby~gt350#3000

By reissue do you mean aftermarket like a Tony Branda knock-off?

Jim

sorry...you already answered that in the last post. Looks like i need glasses:thumbup:

15. ujak

ujak Member

I was told that that this is a correct wheel for 67. Tapered spokes and no countersink on the valve stem.

Attached Files:

16. 1gt500

1gt500 Active Member

Can someone confirm what version wheel I have. My wheels are just like the photo of "Ujak's" wheel except I can't tell if his wheels use a washer or a tapered lug nut. My wheels use a tapered lug nut. However, my wheels do not have any markings, numbers, or stampings of any kind on the inside of the wheel. SAAC documentation states my car came with 15" 10 spoke wheels, does anybody know approximately how many cars came with 10 spoke wheels?

17. ujak

ujak Member

1GT500- the wheels on my 67 and in the picture do have a tapered lug nut. These wheels were on the car when I bought it in 1979 and I have no idea if they are original to the car.

18. 1gt500

1gt500 Active Member

Ujak, do you know what version/generation wheel you have. Also, does yours have any marking or stampings on the rear of the wheel?

19. ujak

ujak Member

1GT500- Not sure what version/generation wheels I have, but several people that have gone over the car indicated they were "period correct" . I do not recall if there are any markings on the rear of the wheel but will check as soon as the weather warms up.