Join Shelby Forums Today

Help:Need to restore Metal frame/fiberglass deck lid for 67 shelby?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by rcgt350, May 9, 2006.

1. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

Has anyone restored their original steel framed fiberglass covered deck lid for a 67 Shelby. I aquired one that is very original with the shelby part numbers cast into the bottom of the spoiler. The top surface is thin and wavy with lots of bumps in it. I suspect the gel coat is cracked and making all the humps and bumps stick up. The steel frame appears to be solid too. I don't know much about fiberglass repair. Would you sand down the surface as not to go through the matting and have the surface built up by spraying on gel coat to give it a more rigid surface? If you press on the humps they go in and out like an oil can.
    Thanks
    Randy

2. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

rcgt350, Just kind of curious about the trunk lid you are trying to repair.
    I have never seen a '67 Shelby trunk lid that had a steel frame. All the ones I have ever seen are of all fibreglass construction. Could you provide the Shelby part number that appears on that trunk lid? I would like to cross reference that number to the '67 Shelby parts list that I have.
    Thanks, shlby66.

3. J.Bailey

J.Bailey Well-Known Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the....

early '67 hoods steel-framed with fiberglass overlay and the trunks are fiberglass only? That's a question. I know my '67 G.T.500 #330 has a hood like that and I think the trunk is fiberglass.

4. Early67

Early67 Well-Known Member

Mine, #0029 is steel re-inforced for the hood and trunk lid.

5. ELJ1st500

ELJ1st500 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Car number 0100 also has the steel frame bonded to the fiberglass hood and trunk lid.

Eric

6. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

Well folks, with a little research in the Shelby Bible, ( Shelby American World
    Registery, page 617 ) in the section labled Running Production Changes, under
    "Hoods & Trunk Lids" : Early cars had fiberglass hoods and trunk lids with
    steel frames; later cars had one-piece, all fiberglass hoods and trunk lids.
    Some cars had a combination of each.
    As to rcgt350's dilemma of how to repair his trunk lid, I can tell you it will
    take more time and effort than you think. I repaired/rebuilt the steel framed
    hood on my '66 Shelby. Basically you have to separate the steel frame from
    the fiberglass shell. Then rebond the two pieces back together. After all this
    time, the bonding material just gives up and you end up with a hood or trunk lid with the mentioned waves, bumps and soft spots. It can be done, but
    I will buy a new hood next time and hang the old one on my garage wall.
    shlby66

1967 GT350 #1688

7. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

If you had a major crack along the spoiler lip - on top - I'd say de-laminate it to put extra fiberglass on the inside. That would stiffen it up. If not, yes sand it down. I don't think putting extra gel coats is going to help. But, the newer types of paint do allow some flexing without cracking.
    Fiberglass does show some surface imperfections. Take a good long look at any 60's Corvette.

History on the Fiberglass/steel deck lids/Hoods: original on cars below #300, between #300 and #400 either front or rear (not hard and fast rule) over car #450, could have but unlikely. Note I said original installations. I've seen wrecked and rebuilt early cars with out the steel/glass hoods because of replacement parts being all glass.