Join Shelby Forums Today

Hats off to Jim Wicks and Mid America Crew

Discussion in 'Events Forum' started by stephen_becker, Jun 18, 2008.

1. stephen_becker

stephen_becker Well-Known Member

I just wanted to post a very LOUD shout-out to Jim Wicks and his crew in reference to an excellent 2008 Mid- America event, in Tulsa, last week. I have to say that in over 31 years in this hobby I have never attended a better put togther and smoothly run show - ever.

I was amazed at how helpful, friendly and knowledgeable the event staff was. If you had any questions you just stop someone with an orange or blue mid-america shirt and if they could not answer the question they all had radios and would call around and get you an answer.

I was truly blown away by the level of professionallism that all attendies, guests and workers showed during the event and it was, by far, the best show I have ever attended.

"Hats off" to Jim Wicks and all that work with him to make Mid America show the premier Shelby show in the country!

Stephen Becker

:laf:
    :thumbup:
    :rolleyes:

2. steele138

steele138 Well-Known Member

I'll second that!!If you've never attended you are missing out,25th year for me
    and it was unbelievable the cruise to Brookside had 775 cars,Ford cars,the police department closed down intersections to get the participants through
    together;the city ok'd closing 4 or 5 blocks to park cars.Hallet (road course) was excellent.Drags phenominal and car show was great,A good time was had by all.
    Steele

3. rtmc67shelby

rtmc67shelby Member

The mid America crew did another outstanding job.
    Plus to top off the event, our 67 GT 500 was the popular vote winner in the 67-68 Shelby class.

4. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Congrats on the popular vote win. :cool:

5. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Does anyone have some pictures from the event?

6. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

The event was absolutely awesome!
    My first year and will be back for a long time to come.

Best show i have ever attended as well!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Vern

7. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Please....someone post some Pics................. I guess I will have to figure out a way to make it to the next one.:thumbsup:

David.

8. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

It must have been a great time for all. I wish I could have been there.

Congratulations on your popular vote win rtmc67shelby!
    Randall

9. rtmc67shelby

rtmc67shelby Member

Thanks 67GT500#2100 and rshelby.

10. csx4266

csx4266 Active Member

Vern, it was nice meeting and talking with you. We ended up winning our popular vote class, 4000-8000 Series Cobras AND we won BEST OF SHOW! Next year I will take you for a hot lap around Hallett with the Cobra.

Yes, Jim Wicks and his entire crew did an awesome job, again!

BG :thumbup:

11. joesgt281

joesgt281 Member

I've been trying to get to the MA event for many years and this year I finally got there.
    It was everything I was hoping for and more.
    BIG BIG BIG salute to Jim and the MA crew!
    I did the cruise, Hallet, drag racing, and the banquet.
    I went to the car show but did not enter.

Also, found this on YouTube of Carroll speaking at the banquet. He's still articulate and funny!
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zdmOYaLXeI"]YouTube - Caroll Shelby speaking at Mid America Ford Tulsa[/nomedia]

This will be an annual event for me from now on :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
  12. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I would have loved to see it but we were so busy with the concours I did not get a chance to walk the rest of the show. Ed Meyer,John Brown, Jeff Speegle , Jeff Yergovich , Randy Roberts,Marty Wiesman, did a great job judging and making me look good. Vern Estes stepped up and check over all the owners manuals for the cars in the Heritage Elite class (no repro). Some top shelf Shelby's. 18 Boss 429's at one show. Thank the stars they weren't all entered in concours. What a show is all I can say. Talking about good show's I just left the MCA national show in Dublin OH (suburb of Columbus) I was helping judge the Shelby class's with snakepit and Tlea . Several unrestored original low mileage 65,66 Mustangs plus a 73 covert that had 4,000 miles . A gorgeous yellow Boss 302 that Bob Perkins did some years ago. All very educational. Bob

13. vernonestes

Hey it was awesome finally getting to meet you and talk shelbys!

Congrats on the big victory, you know you have got something special when you can muscle out the kind of machinary that was at the event! I am certainly going to hold you to that hot lap!!!

I dont think people realize how well rounded an event it was this year. From the 4000-8000 cobras to 2476 and 3147, to the vintage shelbys(of which there was an incredibly strong presence), to the gigantic showing of Boss cars (i rode back to the host hotel from the cruise(which i hear was about 750 cars strong in all!) following 7 Boss 302s and had a about 3 Boss 9s on my rear!.....sweet pipe music to be sure!), to the huge presence of the new shelbys, to the, lets say "well spirited" racing out at Hallett and at the drag stip!
    The event was as well rounded as it could have possibly been and i just loved it! I can honestly say, after the time i had this year, that i will make it a priority to go every year.....at this age, i should have at least fifty before i kick the bucket!

And also congrats to rtmc67shelby, i love seeing cars with no stripes, as they were from the factory, especially in white, very refreshing and great looking i think!

Best Regards,
    Vern

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  14. rtmc67shelby

rtmc67shelby Member

Thanks Vern, no stripes as Shelby intended.
    Rick

15. brazoscobra

brazoscobra Member

Hey Vern, it was good to meet you and I hope you enjoyed the show. This was my 26th year and Jim Wicks and crew do a truly exceptional job with Mid America.

16. vernonestes

Hey the pleasure was all mine.

Seeya next year!

Just for all the forum members to know, brazoxcobra gave offered a room to me at the marriot just a few months before the event....and that was without ever actually meeting me! Shows the character and generosity the shelby community!

Best Regards,
    Vern

17. amyb

amyb Active Member

Thanks to all the people that came up and said hello. This is the best event I have ever been to as well.

Great job MA team!

Amy