Join Shelby Forums Today

GT500 radiator

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Jimmy J1, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Jimmy J1

Jimmy J1 Well-Known Member

Where on my radiator might I find some identifying marks to see if I have the correct radiator for an early 67 GT500? Don't see anything. Any specs on the correct one?

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

The FOMOCO logo on the tank will tell if aftermarket or not. No logo you can stop looking. A large amount of the assemblyline Radiators had a tag soldered onto the driver side top edge of the tank. Codes differ wether auto or 4 speed.There are many different codes but they all start out with C7ZE. Another Ford vendor that supplied to Ford would stamped the same info into the metal channel (drivers side) that makes up the side of the radiator. The stamping on the side strap (if there) is easily obscured by surface rust. If a replacement it would probably be the larger better cooling 24 inch unit used from 68 up. I hope this helps. Bob

3. Jimmy J1

Thanks Bob,
    there's not a mark anywhere on this thing. Not even Taiwan. It was working well and is clean inside and out. My shroud is from 1970 and was thinking of getting the correct one (without the sticker!) but don't know if it will fit this radiator. Do you know the measurements of the proper radiator? Mine is 4 core and seemed to fit nicely. I'll use it again if I can.

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

First off your info tells me you have a repro radiator .Second the correct 67 shroud will not fit. The 1970 shroud you have is the only one that will fit your radiator. The bigger SHROUD from 1968-1970 will fit the smaller 67 original radiator even though it doesn't fit right because it hangs over on each side but the correct smaller 67 shroud will not fit across the bigger radiator you have. The smaller correct 67 shroud will not fit your wider 68-70 Radiator at all. I would take the sticker off of the current 1970 shroud and enjoy the extra cooling that your 4 core radiator that you say works well provides . Most enthusiast even Shelby ones can't tell the difference between the two types of Radiators. Unless you were going to show the car in concours and EVERYTHING ELSE was done on the car concours correct then I would worry about it. If this is a cruise night ,local car show, driver kind of car I wouldn't worry about it and in fact the extra cooling is definitely needed for the best driving experience IMHO. Bob

5. Jimmy J1

Thanks, I probably will leave it in there. It seems like a period correct upgrade and most people won't catch it. There was a crack hiding under the sticker!

6. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

the 67 BB used a unique, one-year-only 23" radiator, even the lower saddle brackets were unique to 67. There is an excellent shroud for the 67, but you have to pay big bucks for a real 67, or big bucks for a custom built radiator. The 68-70 was 24", and decent replacements are easy to find, as is the 68-70 shroud.

7. 427 XR-7

427 XR-7 Member

I have a decent used 67 BB radiator from a Cougar with a build date of January 21, 1967. It is a C7Z part number from an Automatic. $450.
    248-867-3522