Join Shelby Forums Today

Good News from Unique Performance

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mherman2, Oct 16, 2007.

1. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

They have some new investors to back the company. Like any startup company (I have been in 3 myself) you have to work through issues and not everyone is going to be happy.

I will say that Unique has communicated with me daily for the last 3 weeks and have been very open and sincere. Some people may have not had the same experience but as a customer of theirs, I think they have handled the negative press very well.

At the end of the day, they put out a great car and back it up if something breaks.

I don't understand the people that wish them ill will, they are salvaging broken down cars not ruining new vintage ones. I own two original Shelby's and if anyone drove one of these cars, you would not mind adding it to your collection as a driver.

see below:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071016/FREE/71016004&SearchID=73296563251235

2. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Nice to hear Unique is still trying to move ahead. It says a lot that you are getting daily updates. Have they given you any new delivery dates? I seem to remember a while back you had a list of members that wanted rides. My hand is raised!!:thumbsup:

3. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

That GREAT......... I hope everything works out with them and for you to.
    David.

4. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

Keep the FAITH, you've done a great job being positive minded so far. In the end a positive mind set wins. You will get your car!:thumbsup:

5. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Please, juse don't call them "real".....

6. mherman2

Hey, I am onboard with that. The only Real Shelby's in my opinon were the original Cobra's and Mustangs from the 60's and the carry over 69's that had a differently painted hood and sold as a 1970.

Everything from 1970 on is a continuation car, resto mod, etc... That includes the new 2007 GT500's. Just my opinion. Yes, they are made by Ford and Shelby but you can never re-capture the 6 miles to the gallon and sheer mean sounding engines of the 60's. Great looking cars but I am just not a fan of the newness factor of it all. People's likes and opinions are why we have so many different types of cars, models etc.. With that said the new KR's look SWEET!!!

I could have bought 4-5 2007 Gt500's for what I paid for my Supersnake. There are 8300 2007 Gt500's, my supersnake will be 1 of 7 convertible Gt500E's and 1 of 1 with it's options. That has value to me and to someone else one day should I sell it too.

Mike

7. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Hope everything works out.....i dont think ive come across anyone who calls them real anyway.
    BEst Regards,
    Vern

8. CobraMan

CobraMan Member

Let's keep this real. Specifically, WHO invested in Unique Performance (UP)?

I'm confused on why some people report that they receive calls on a daily bases while others don't. Why the preferential treatment? Is it real?

If all were "fine" at UP, why are Shelby and Foose pulling out? If a new injection of funds have been introduced, would Shelby and Foose be interesting in moving forward? They have a lot invested at this point.

Why is Doug Hastings (Sp?) declining interviews with the press when the timing is ripe from the media for him to set the record straight? This is the time to explain the so called "Funding".

Unique Performance is like many other successful companies. They built a good business quickly. Generally the first companies to market are not the "best". Others will come later and build a better product and improve upon the processes. It's already being done by another Texas company in what I consider the best way period. None the less, Unique Performance had their run. The Devil got the best of them and they will wilt on the vine. Their quality was sub par from day one. Neat idea but half baked quality. They spend customer’s deposits for their own personal progress and they were stiffing some of their employees whom have been loyal from the beginning.

Going out of business is the price you pay for stiffing both customers and employees.

I have a strong feeling that some of the feedback I'm reading on this page is coming from Unique Performance but under different user’s names rather than from "customers".

I wish the best of luck to anyone who placed a deposit.

9. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

Did you not read the Autoweek link in this thread with interview with Doug ? Mherman has been on this site forever giving us updates on his car build but you think maybe he is a plant by Unique Performance ? He is the most vocal supporter of them and I seriously doubt he is doing it a a PR ploy for Unique.

10. vernonestes

Why cant everyone just drop the negative attitudes.
    Lots of people like these cars, there is no reason to constantly bag on people who have them ordered. Let alone accuse someone of doing something out of pure speculation. Maybe it is best sometimes to keep our outrageous and downright rude "Feelings" to ourselves.
    Regards,
    vern

11. mherman2

Cobraman:

I'm just a car nut like everyone else on this site and I happen to love Shelby's. I got lucky a couple years back when my company went public and it afforded me the opportunity to get involved in the hobby. I bought 2 original Shelby's, restored 1 and I am restoring the other (KR) and I ordered a Supersnake from Unique. I call Unique often to check in and they keep me posted as to what is going on with the car and company. I have been their twice so they know me as a person and not some guy who calls and yells at them. I am just diligent, they are not treating me different than anyone else.

My car number is SS048C, I ordered it in November 2005. I have a wife, 2 kids, one due in 3 weeks and live in San Diego. Come checkout my garage anytime, I am a real person and not some guy in Texas being sneaky. Hopefully, my car will one day be in the registry as a resto-mod, or continuation car etc... I have been extremely patient and supportive and Unique has appreciated that. I built a relationship with them instead of bashing them publicly like some customers have done. It's just my guess but if they are looking at a list of cars they are behind on, mine may be looked on more favorably then the guy who starts websites bashing them and calling them crooks.

Who knows how the deal with Shelby Licensing will work out or the production of these cars will workout. Maybe now that they have some new investors and can expand production, everything will workout. I am just being positive and hoping for the best.

As a Shelby fan, I think Shelby pulling out of the deal hurts the value of the cars and hurts Shelby customers like me who bought and ordered these cars because of the Shelby name. I don't blame Shelby for being upset about the delays, but It's in Shelby's best interest to help Unique work out their production issues and get the already licensed cars like mine done.

Here is my build process. Call me with any questions at 415-378-4284, love to talk cars.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.herman/SupersnakeBuild

rshelby likes this.
  12. tesgt350

Just out of Curiosity, After seeing the Cars selling for over $175,000.00, what would you guess UP profits from each Elleanor sold. That is, Profit AFTER Parts, Body Work & Labor.
    David.

13. mherman2

I am guessing these engines for the Supersnakes cost $30k, additional parts another $30k. A majority of the cost comes from the bodywork, hundreds or thousands of hours of labor.

Cost of engines and parts is a guess but I know the labor kills them.

Mike

14. vernonestes

I wonder if the smaller companies that are building these elenors are feeling the hurt on business because of this "unique" situation.
    Sorry, just couldnt help myself!:thumbsup:
    Best Regards,
    Vern

15. tesgt350

Actually, I would think that the smaller companies would be doing better. Most are building them for the owner who does not want to pay the big bucks for one and have to wait years for it from UP when they can find a nice Fastback, drive it to a custom body shop and have it done for half the cost. I see really nice examples on Ebay with a "Buy It Now" price for under $100,000.00 all the time, so you the owner has less then that in it. Just my 2 cents.
    David.

16. mherman2

Pretty funny, I was reading on Shelby Cobra history today and found this info. Looks like he had some issues when he was trying to first build cars. I would love to own a real cobra one day, at 6'6" they would need to chop it up though:

June 1962
    Production is slow as Shelby-American wrestles with start-up problems due to the fact that the AC chassis requires extensive engineering. Meanwhile, CSX 2000 is repainted a different color each time a different magazine test drives it, giving the appearance of many cars in production. The Cobra has a 1-ton advantage over the Corvette.

Shelby-American submits papers to homologate the Cobra as a GT III car in the eyes of the FIA, the Federeation Internationale de L'Automobile. On August 6, the FIA homologates the Cobra in the more-than 2-liter class for the FIA Manufacturers' Championship. At least 100 cars had to be built within 12 months, but at the time of approval, just eight Cobras had been completed. According to Carroll, he comtemplated switching the chassis and body to an alternative due to continued problems

17. tesgt350

Who actually built the Sunbeam Tiger? Was it Shelby American? The Mazda Miata would be a great vehicle to take the place of the Sunbeam Tiger. A 302 fits in the Engine Bay nicely and its Rear Wheel Drive. One shows up at the Silver Springs Mustang Round Up (Florida), for the last few years. It has a Scaled down 1965 Mustang Fiberglass Body Kit installed on it. Looks cool.
    David.

18. Dave

Dave Member

I believe it was the Rootes Group in the UK that did the building, and Shelby's company did the design work.

19. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

While Unique is shifting gears they might learn something from Mr. Shelby: Hire the best people you can, treat them right and don't micro-manage them. Too many management teams today lack respect for talented people with rare skills.

20. dv67shelby

dv67shelby Well-Known Member

Not to hijack this thread but what types of Shelby engine failures have been occuring with the Unique Performance vehicles? Does Shelby assemble them & ship or is the engine assembly done by Unique? As far as the continuation car versus the real Shelby's opinion...I own and have owned, in my opinion, the real Shelby's of the 60's but these continuation cars definitely draw my attention. I like the look and I'm sure the performance is awesome and as long as you don't call them real....then I guess I don't have a problem with them. My next vehicle is going to be a Kirkham aluminum roadster with a 427 Shelby aluminum engine. Yes, it's expensive...no its not real...but try to wipe the smile from my face as I'm ripping down the highway! I think MHERMAN2 has got the best of both worlds having a choice between driving an original Shelby or taking out the newer version! Just my 2 cents worth...
    David