Join Shelby Forums Today

garage/ cooler find - GT350

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by FORDFREAK05, Jan 3, 2008.

1. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

This has been a very interesting thread to read. I think there has been some kind of agreement here on the value of a serial number .....between 15 and 25 thousand dollars.
    jimbo

2. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

Yes it is rusty but yes it is a real 66GT350 that can be saved. Many many people don't have the cash it takes to step up to a better car and this is a good candidate for someone that can do the work. Congrats on the find and since you have the ability to do the work I think you should get it bought. Where else is a savable 66 for 25K ? Nice...There are probably 50 guys reading this thread that would jump on the car at 25K.

3. 68GT500-Aussieland

68GT500-Aussieland Well-Known Member

Are the motor and tranny matching numbers? Take this into consideration as well.

If you are going to restore the car - go for it. Another shelby saved from the crucher. But, a very very big job.

Rohan

4. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

This is all hysterical... This is a great example of why these numbers need to be kept secret.
    jimbo

5. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

If it is re-bodied with anything other than a San Jose' HiPo Fastback it will be noticeable, I hope it is saved, and I wish the buyer good luck.

Mike

6. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Buy it and put it in a dry safe place and wait. Dynacorn will be producing a new complete 65/66 Fastback Body soon.
    David.

7. FORDFREAK05

FORDFREAK05 Member

WHAT IS THE DEFERANCE?? I HAVE NOT HEARD OF A SAN JOSE...

THE MOTOR AND TRANS ARE MATCHING #S

8. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

You sound like the perfect match for that car. I said I wouldn't pay more than $10K, but that's because I don't have the abilities to rebuild that unibody (and have it come out straight). At this point, Shelby's are becoming a once in a lifetime thing for your average guy. If you can get it for $15K, great! If you have to come up to get closer to the $25K mark, but you can rebuild that unibody correctly, it's still probably a price the market will bear. Just buy stock in a company that makes weld-through primer! The black and gold Hertz that David mentioned earlier was in similar shape and sold on ebay for something over $50K if I remember correctly. The seller even pointed out that the picture of the floor pans was not an optical illusion and you were actually seeing his driveway (and nothing more!!!). So, at $25K, if you don't buy it, somebody will. I'd be thrilled to know that one more rusty bucket was being saved. Like I said earlier, I think they all should be saved... by someone who knows what they're doing and does it right (i.e. not me).

It would be great if you documented everything and started a thread later on that follows the progress! There's an enormous wealth of knowledge on this site to help you with the minor details, and I'd love to see the progress. Like Mike said, make sure if you go the re-body route that you use a car with a VIN that starts 6R09K... of course those don't come cheap either. Also, be aware that if you re-body it that is not looked upon as holding the same value as a car that hasn't been rebodied. I personally think if it has the VIN stamped block and the drivetrain is original that it would be a shame to rebody it. If I had the car and the abilities and it was a matching drivetrain that I'd rebuild it with aftermarket sheet metal before I'd rebody it. Keep in mind if you rebody it that you need to tell Howard the new VIN so it doesn't look like a fake when someone in the future tries to check the authenticity by drilling the Shelby tag.

Can you tell us how you came across it without giving away location or specifics?

Good luck,
    Josh

9. FORDFREAK05

FORDFREAK05 Member

I Have Known The Car For 10 Years....... This Is The First Time It Has Been Outside In 28 Years.. No I Dont Want To Re Body It ... I Just Want To Get It.. Brace It ,, Put It Into Dry Storage, Untill I Find Or Get A Sutible Parts Shell..... And A New Garage To Put It In.... It Will Take Me A Bit Of Hussling To Get It , But As Long As I Get My Down Payment To Him Soon It Will Be All Good... Keep It Real;;;; Only Thing I Woould Change Is I Would Want A R Model Front Bumper.

10. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

This is part of what some people use to verify cars and many of those details are not typically shared - especially in a public forum. Don't want to educate those who would choose to do a rebody too much. And even the use of a San Jose body will not guarantee that a rebody will go unnoticed. ;)

But in general unless any car is very complete and without damaged I always suggest finding a donor car built at the same factory at the same time (as close as 3-4 weeks if possible) Cuts down the use of replacement and reproduction parts, from body panels to bolts. It the differences between having a restored car and a catalog car IMHO

11. Jerry_Moss

Jerry_Moss Well-Known Member

HI

If you want to do it perfectly (suppose the roof is ok) buy
    a Coupe wich is in good shape for the sheet metal parts
    so you will have the numbers stamped in.
    Repair sheet metals do not have these and mostly are not
    as stron as original parts.

Keep us updated!

Bye Jerry

12. Tango Classic

Tango Classic Member

Guys: As a seller of quite a few project Shelby's over the last few years there's a few things I've noticed.

The 65-67 years are in demand and there's less and less projects.

I can show you numerous sites where sellers are asking $150K plus for their fully restored 66 GT 350.
    Most guys trying to get into a Shelby before it's too late doesn't have 150K-175K laying around.
    Suddenly a project shows up for $70-80K-90K and it makes sense.

When fully restored 66's are selling for $125K, then the projects will be less.
    But currently projects are in demand and are getting more and more expensive.

When you look at a project that's priced at $92K and you call it "absurd", please remember that a fully restored one is $175 and is that also "absurd"?

The rusty 66 is worth every dime and probably more.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Happy New Year!

Bret
    www.shelbymustang.com

13. FORDFREAK05

FORDFREAK05 Member

Yes This Will Be The Only Time In My Life That I Would Be Able To Get My Hands On A True Gt350,, Or A Clone For That Matter.. My Bank Account Is Like The Floors In The Car Gone., But The First Step Is To Aquire The Car Then Go From There.., I Am Already Searching For A Doner... Now I Just Have To Finish Some Of My Other Projects... To Fund A Real Project..

14. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

I made the "absurd" comment to which Tango's referring. While I stand 100% behind that comment (keep in mind we were talking private party, not dealer pricing, and I was using that as an example of dealer pricing warping the perception of value), I should have made the point by simply stating I knew of a $92K project car. I did not need to say where it was listed to make my point. That was very unprofessional of me, and I apologize. :doh:

Josh

15. Tango Classic

Tango Classic Member

Josh: No offense taken!

I probably sell more projects than anyone and guys are willing to pay more and more just to get one of these cars.

There's not enough for everyone.

It's really the supply and demand factor.

There's just not enough cars available.

Bret

www.shelbymustang.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008
  16. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

crystal ball say: offers come in waves once possession is complete.

17. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

think I would rather fix this car than the 66 Tango had that was under the wrong tree.

18. Tango Classic

Tango Classic Member

No, I don't think so.

The "tree" 66 GT 350 was a Hertz with the correct engine.

Also, it was rather solid.

I'd rather put a roof on a car than frame rails, floors etc etc etc.

Bret

19. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

Bret,

If I recall, your $92k project was still very drivable. For those only looking for a driver, yours is not a bad project.

robin

20. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

You just can't let go of that can you....:eek: