Join Shelby Forums Today

garage/ cooler find - GT350

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by FORDFREAK05, Jan 3, 2008.

1. FORDFREAK05

FORDFREAK05 Member

so if i know where gt 350 #6s1xx5 is and it has been sitting sence 1976:blink: would that be consederd a barn find and finding a missing gt 350???
    it is in a garage / cooler.. it is in about the shape of the rusty one in missing gt 350.. this one is white with red stripes.. and it is 99% complete. needs floors. from front seat to trunk.. no major deal with parts avalible today..garanteed a real deal.. i can have pics in a week or 2 .. its not close to me but hidden away...:guns: what is a complete project worth?? price wars are on and i think its a little steep.. but it is a gt350..

jason

2. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Re: garage/ cooler find

If it is about like the other one that you mentioned, AND it IS a real Shelby (Varified) then it should be worth the same as the other one. $50K to $70K. Hopefully it is not as bad as the other one. Good luck.
    David.

3. FORDFREAK05

FORDFREAK05 Member

It Is Rusty....back Window Is Out And Roof Of Cooler Leaked,, How Do I Get It Varified? Jason

4. tesgt350

For starters, Post the Shelby Tag Number found on the aluminum Tag on the inner fender, and someone here can tell you all about it if it was Registered. The Red Stripes is what I would worry about, unless it came with out stripes and the original owner painted them on.
    David.

5. FORDFREAK05

FORDFREAK05 Member

I Thought It Was Bad To Post The Vin #

6. 1175

1175 Well-Known Member

I would not post the vin for everyone to see unless you want to queer up the deal. Contact Howard Pardee from SAAC to verify.
    65-66registrar@saac.com

7. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

I believe the one your referring to by "the other" missing gt350 is the red one in Arizone? That is actually a great car (very little rust), and didn't have a value on it. I believe the $50K-$70K rust bucket that David was referring to was a black and gold Hertz ebay auction that looked like it would fold if you tried to load it on a trailer. Tango Classics has a project '66 for sale for $92,000. I think that's a bit absurd and is a case of pricing it pretty darn close to what the finished car is worth. There seems to be a craze over project cars these days. The car in Arizona is not for sale, hence there is not a price associated with any sale. I would think $50K would be on the high end for a car with extensive rust. It's my personal opinion that auction houses, ebay and dealers completely warp the typical enthusiast's perception of what cars are worth. Keep in mind, just because you see a car sell on ebay, doesn't mean it actually sells. I've seen numerous cars that were previously "sold" relisted.

Again, $50K MAX is just my opinion, and at that price, I'd say you'd need to be pretty talented and be able to do some of the restoration yourself to avoid not spending more than a decent driver would go for. I think you could probably find a '66 driver around $100K. If the rust is extensive I'd say $40K may be a better number, but it's really hard to say without seeing the car. Does it have the original drivetrain? That makes a big difference. Keep in mind, I'm no expert... just an enthusiast who doesn't even own one... I just hope to someday. Hopefully my research in obtaining my goal can help you out.

As far as verifying if it's a legit car, contact Howard Pardee as noted above. I contacted him on a previous car I was chasing and he was extremely responsive and helpful. You'll need the SFM number (SFM6SXXXX) and the Ford VIN (6R09KXXXXXX), which is under the aluminum plate that has the Shelby (SFM) number. You'll need to drill out one of the rivets in the Shleby tag to have both. The combination of numbers is top secret, so don't tell anyone what it is (except Howard, of course). I wouldn't post the Shelby number here because if the current owner's info is in the Registry, you might find yourself in a bidding war with even more people. Good luck! If you pass on it, could you turn me onto it? :blush: Hey... it's woth asking.

Good luck,
    Josh

PS If you DO get it, post lot's of pictures!

8. tesgt350

YES I was refering to the Black Car on Ebay that sold high and I gave the est. price before I knew that it was as rusted as he later said and parts missing so yeah $50K is high. Also, I said to post the # found on the Aluminum Tag on the inner fender (5 digit 6S****) NOT the VIN#. Some people on here have the lates Shelby Registry and can look up the Car to see if it is Real.
    David.

9. FORDFREAK05

FORDFREAK05 Member

howard has not heard anything on the car for 26 years.. jason i have to have the other vin # under the plate i guess i know there ane more than 1 place for the # without pulling the plate??

10. crzy4shelbys

David - I hope you don't think I was trying to discredit anything you were saying. I just happened to remember the other post regarding the red '66 in AZ was titled "Missing GT350".

I still would not post the Shelby number here. I wasn't saying not to post the Ford VIN... that goes without saying. I wouldn't post ANYTHING. If the registry has the name of the current owner, anyone with the registry and that number now knows the car is available for sale. More potential buyers may drive the price up on him. I think most people on here would honor his "dibs" on the car, but it's not worth the risk. Howard Pardee is the end all and should be the only one he discusses the number with.

A member of this forum who found an extremely desirable car using nothing more than the registry and a phone book (and a LOT of effort) advised me that if I ever am on to a car, to not tell ANYONE about it. I think that was great advice. Let Howard authenticate or discredit it, then post the number AFTER the deal is done... along with a lot of pics.

Good luck,
    Josh

11. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Heed Josh's advice and don't overpay for a rust bucket!
    Randall

12. tesgt350

Dont worry Josh, I wasn't, thanks. That is good advice.
    David.

13. tesgt350

Jason........ were you given any hints on what the owner would take for it? Have you seen it in person? 99% complete is pretty complete, what else besides the Back Glass is Missing? Some parts are hard to find and very pricey, so you will need to take that into consideration as well. The good part is that about 99% of the 1966 Ford Mustang can be purchased from catalogs to repair it, most of the Shelby Parts to. Good luck.
    David.

14. FORDFREAK05

FORDFREAK05 Member

well here she is sad... my mistake on the color it was red with white stripes

as for the price thats TOP SECRET for now..

front.jpg

os.jpg

engine bay.jpg

dash.jpg

15. FORDFREAK05

FORDFREAK05 Member

:laf: IT HAS BEEN VARIFIED ANOTHER MISSING CAR FOUND:laf:

16. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

That car has been saturated with moisture for along time. I believe you spared us the bad pictures of the back half. I love 66 cars but would not go over 20k if its really rotten in the back because of no glass. Prices are coming down so dont over do the offer.

Remember a car in the habit of rusting for 30 to 40 years may not give up the habit just because you restore it... I think something happens to the steel that's hard to control. Great find though. It looks real.

17. crzy4shelbys

Hi Jason,

The extent of rust is much worse than I had presumed previously. If it were me, I'd stear clear of this car unless the price is ridiculously low, or unless I was a sheet metal guru with years of experience in rebuilding a unibody from scratch. Even then, the car will NEVER carry the value of a '66 that hasn't had all the metal replaced (it's pretty much what's referred to as a re-body). Some floor pan work and a couple fenders is one thing, but the rot on that car is so bad, it's folding. Look at the second picture you posted and follow the body line as it transitions from the fender to the door. The car is literally folding because of the rot. You had mentioned 99% of the car was there. Is the drivetrain somewhere in the owner's posession? tracking down a hipo motor and rebuilding it is not an inexpensive proposition. So many things are beyond repair that you'd spend a fortune in parts alone that once you factor in labor and paint, you'd be as far into that car as you would for a sound car and most everything would have been replaced on this one. Even the fiberglass hood can't be saved because the steel frame is shot.

I had previously said $40K would be my upper bound for a rusty '66, but I have to say, I'd probably pass on that car at any price, unless it was something crazy low like less than $10K, and even then I don't know what I'd do with it (ebay to increase my future Shelby fund?). I've been working on cars for many years as a hobbyist, and I can do some decent minor fabrication, but I know my limitations and that would be way beyond my abilities. It's sad to see such a great car in such poor shape, and I hope someone can bring it back. I personally feel that every one of these cars should be rebuilt by someone no matter the condition rather than parted or crushed, but that someone is not me.

I really don't want to poo-poo your deal. I'm just one person and that's just my humble opinion, so take it for what it is. Just keep in mind, if you're stretching to get into the deal, with the amount of work and parts that car needs, you probably won't be able to do anything with it.

18. tesgt350

NOW that Pics are posted :eek: ..........I too, would like to lower my Value Price to $10K to $20K.......sorry. :unsure:
    David

19. FORDFREAK05

FORDFREAK05 Member

Motor And Tranny Are There. As Well As Most All Of The Trinkit Things 2 Gas Cap2 Mirrors Ect.. pan.JPG No Back Window. I Said It Was Rusty..

20. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

Car does look to be sagging at front fender and door area. That's strange as the firewall, cowl and passenger side frame look solid enough to keep it straight... maybe it jumped something once.

What should be done with people that neglect Shelbys this way?