Join Shelby Forums Today

FoMoCo HP289 dual point, bushings/rebuild

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by 60's*dream*, Dec 28, 2007.

1. 60's*dream*

60's*dream* Active Member

Happy holidays to all! New Years is right around the corner and so is my car.:guitar: I'm beginning to see a light at the end of a long tunnel. 93% done on the parts sourcing for my project (65 GT350 Clone of an early 2 digit car) building 2 motors, 1 correct competition 289 (R) version, 1 fun motor with period correct (up to late 60's upgrades ONLY on external visual components, I'm utilzing that 69 Rambox manifold. Free reign on the internal stuff, Scat Pro light forged 3.25 stroker, Crower I beams, A4, 7.25 dual disk, ported 351W, etc.) The T-10M was painful ($). Anyway, I was hoping the community could help with some guidence on identifying or sources for a service that rebuilds/recurves HP289 distributors, my early fomoco date coded 4HD (Aug 4th 1964) needs new bronze (?) bushings. There's just a little too much wobble for tastes. Who would you guys use and trust? :unsure: Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks Earl

2. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

I couldn't find them 10 years ago. So, I took a later distributor apart and knocked the bushings out of the new one. With a little machine work they fit my 67's genny distributor. The machine work was required due to there being an upper and a separate lower bearing.
    Good luck

3. Redline

Redline New Member

4. JamesFee

JamesFee Well-Known Member

I was very satisfied with Chuck Barbero of Distributor Dynamics in Brownsville, CA. His work is top notch.

5. 60's*dream*

60's*dream* Active Member

Thanks for the tip Jim. I'd rather have someone else service the bushings and check the advance curve than attemp it myself. I'll give Chuck at Distributor Dynamics a call he's in my neck of the woods. much appreciated. Earl