Join Shelby Forums Today

Finally Rolling Down The Road!

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Shelby~gt350#3000, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

Wet and dry block sanding is done. High and low spots are repaired. fenders, doors, quarters and roof are laser straight.

First coat of red oxide is on. One more coat to go. I was uncertian which way I wanted to go when it came to the red oxide color and tone. I did a lot of research on here and got lots of advice from the "experts" on the proper red oxide color. Some say go bright red, orange or dark red. I went with the darker red. I was worried when it first started going on. It looked to dark in my opinion. I was very happy with the results. The color matches the ceiling of the car perfectly. The ceiling of the car is still in its original factory primer. It turned out to be a perfect match. Many argue what the proper color should be and Im sure i'll get grief about the color I went with. But like I said it matches PERFECTLY. The second coat will finish it of nicely.

Sound deadner and seam sealer is on.

I'm days away from paint. Its time to set the appointment with my painter..WOW, I can't belive the day has come....
    Jim

Attached Files:

2. SHELB66

SHELB66 Member

You are really providing us with quite a treat. Thanks for sharing your progress with the forum. I can share your enthusiasm as I know it gives one great pride and joy in taking such a car from its "needs restoration" level to a beautiful show worthy piece of classic machinery. Keep up the good work and please continue to pass along your progress!

Craig

3. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

+1 I love following your progress.

4. Doug_GT350

Doug_GT350 Well-Known Member

Add another one to that! I remember way back in last September when you posted the pic of the "hover" Shelby and I thought it would take a long time to see where it is today. You're doing some super work and it looks good. I wish I had that kind of time.

5. Shelby~gt350#3000

Thank you Craig. It is a huge task but its definately fun!

Jim

Thank you Doug. It sure has come a long way since the "hover" days. I can tell ya I lost track of the hours I have into it so far. Not to mention the $$. All for a good cause. I get butterflies thinking about the day I get toshift that four speed toploader through the gears. I never drove a mustang fastback before nor have I ever sat in a completed Shelby. I bought this car in pieces so everyday of it coming together is such an amazing feeling. I dont know if any of you ever saw that Steven King movie called Christine but its kinda the same feeling seeing this Shelby come back to life. Kinda creepy..haha..
    Jim

Here is a link showing more progress pics...

http://picasaweb.google.com/affirmative67/SHELBYPROGRESS

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  6. Shelby~gt350#3000

While everyone was at SAAC 33 My friend and I were in the booth painting #3000. We started at 5pm on Friday the 15th and finished on Sunday at midnight!. We came home only to sleep and shower. The wives weren't to happy..lol. We had a total of 36 longgg invested hours in getting this paint job absolutely perfect. The stripes were a real pain in the ass but we got them down. I'm so happy with the paint job. Came out amazing. Got the car back home yesterday and stuffed it back in the garage. I'm to tired to even think about working on it. It's in pieces again so the engine compartment can be sprayed black. Then the real fun begins with assembly next.

Its aliveeeeeeeee!
    Jim

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  7. Shelby~gt350#3000

More...

Attached Files:

8. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Hey Jim nice progress on the 67! It has been tons of fun getting to see the car come together!

Best,
    Vern

9. Shelby~gt350#3000

Thank you Vern! Having a great time!
    Jim

10. Shelby~gt350#3000

electric, roll bar, headliner, brake lines, gas tank, fuel lines in...
    Also: does anyone have experience with the fender mounted headlight brackets? Did I install them correctly?
    Jim

Attached Files:

11. AJD350

AJD350 Active Member

Looks great! I love watching a project come together. The brackets look right. They are rather approximate in position. When mounting mine, I made the final adjustments using the play in the bucket screw holes and slightly tweaking the mount plates. A lot of fiddling, but the results are worth it. I can imagine the guys on the Shelby line just grabbing the bucket and wrestling it into place by bending it on the mount tabs. Al GT350 #3014

12. Shelby~gt350#3000

i agree with the bend technique. Its going to be a lot of on and off trials to get them level and lined up..thanks!

Jim

13. markboss

markboss Well-Known Member

The headlight brackets look correct, from the photos...
    Car is looking nice...

Mark

14. isaak-gt500kr

isaak-gt500kr Well-Known Member

Very impressive & beautiful. I have great admiration for people like yourself who stick with the project to the end. :thumbup:

15. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

That thing looks great! I wish my hood fit as nice as yours. I guess after 21 years that I've owned it the slight bow in mine is now part of its character.:rolleyes:

16. steele138

steele138 Well-Known Member

The car looks great!! Have you crawled in sat on a box and made engine noises yet?
    Cheers to you on a job well done.
    Steele

17. Shelby~gt350#3000

Thanks isaac! I was always the kind of guy who finished what he started.

Thanks #2100! The hood took a lot of Love to get her the way she is. Most Shelby hoods bend in the middle. Im really leaning on keeping the springs off and using a prop rob.

hahaha..good one steele! I actually sat on the floor and looked out the windshield wondering how it would feel.:laf:

Jim

18. Shelby~gt350#3000

Hi All:

I know it has been sometime now since I last updated this thread.

#3000 IS FINNALY DONE! The first day it was driven was on December 25th 2009! A suprise for the family. I have been enjoying the car so much!

I had a problem posting pictures of progress on here in the early days but I finally got the bugs worked out. So here are a handful of pics showing progress and I will post finished pics too. What a journey it has been and wow what a ton of money it takes to get a Shelby to this level!!!$$$$

thanks for looking, enjoy!

Jim

Attached Files:

19. Shelby~gt350#3000

motor done, carb restored, interior

Attached Files:

20. markboss

markboss Well-Known Member

Jim,
    The car really looks great....
    When your restoring them, it seems to take forever...
    Hope to see you and the car at a Florida meet in the future...

Mark