Join Shelby Forums Today

Finally Rolling Down The Road!

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Shelby~gt350#3000, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

Well after sitting now for 20 years Shelby #3000 is finally rolling down the road on 4 tires with the wind in her hair!..well, maybe 6 tires...oh who's counting?

Thought ya'll might get a laugh from this pic I took following the tow truck taking my Shelby to the body shop for sand blasting.
    This Shelby is using the new HOVER technology...yes it floats!

:p :laf:
    Jim

Attached Files:

rshelby likes this.
  2. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

You are doing it Right!! keep us posted on this Baby!!:thumbsup:

3. SFM6S2015

SFM6S2015 Well-Known Member

I like it. Keep the photos coming!!!

Larry

4. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

Have you researched other media besides sand. If you do use sand make sure the guy doing it knows what he is doing as it can warp panels and it will eat away all the protective coating on the steel under the primer. Works OK in a lot of areas. Make sure they are careful around date codes and vin numbers and keep your Shelby tag away from those guys...

5. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Awesome! Can't wait to see pics of it rolling down the road under its own power!:D

6. Shelby~gt350#3000

thank you that is very helpful advice, I have the fenders and doors off the car. They are not being blasted. The roof is being chemical stripped. The Shelby tag is off the car and the stamped VIN numbers are marked with orange paint warning the blaster to stay clear:thumbsup: The car is very solid to start with. The rear quarters were poorly repaired before I bought the car so unfortunatley they are coming off and Dynacore full quarters are going in their place. Your advice is greatly appreciated and I'm doing everything possible to do her right.
    Thanks again!:D
    JIM

THANK YOU!!!..I CANT SLEEP AT NIGHT ! Everyday is one more step closer to that day of rolling on her own power...WOOHOOO!!!:dance:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  7. GT350-66s

GT350-66s Member

Watch the chemical strip on the roof also. The area where the seams are leaded in are pourous and hold stripper products to come back and haunt you after paint is applied.... Be careful -G

8. d0zf

d0zf Member

Every step is a great feeling and we can surely share your excitement and hopefully everyday is going to be a good day. Enjoy every minute :dance:
    d0zf

9. Shelby~gt350#3000

thanks for the kind words:thumbsup:

I enjoy posting progress pics. If you all enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoy posting them, maybe, it would be fun to post a updated thread showing progress of #3000? Through this forum I met two guys that are members of this forum community and it turns out they know some of the history of #3000 and saw her stuffed in a garage for 20 years before I took ownership of her. (i.e. DALTONDAVID):thumbup:

It's great seeing all the Shelbys on here that are so GORGEOUS and beautifully restored. I drool at every picture of a restored or original Shelby, it's like biting a lemon! To be honest and I'm sure many can side with me when I say, I always pause longer at a picture of a Shelby in its rough stages of life compared to a Shelby fully restored. Don't you just love seeing pictures of a Shelby left out in a farmers field for 40 years with grass growing through the engine compartment waiting to be rescued? Or maybe a Shelby thats been stuffed in the corner of a garage with piles of blankets,toys, boxes and other things stacked to the ceiling as she sits and waits for her days to be noticed again rolling down the road? :dance: I know its sad that Shelby owners can allow this to happen to such historical pieces of American History but if you think about, if it wasnt for those type of car owners we wouldnt have Shelby projects to restore!!:eek:, we would have barn finds to brag about! Take for example....my shelby:thumbsup:

Anyways I guess I'm rambling on. I've been a Shelby fan for 17 years and I'm proud to bring #3000 back to her Glory Days! Id be happy to continue posting progress pics if anyone is interested.
    JIM

10. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

Are you going back lime green. That color can grow on you, especially with a top notch paint job...

11. whitey

whitey Member

Always a good feeling to see it on a truck getting to the next phase of the resto and BOY dont they attract attention! Good advice on the blasting and strip media too! take care mate,

12. Shelby~gt350#3000

very good point..thank you! I will spend extra time and care making sure the chemicals are out of the welds and seems. Great tip!:thumbup:

Going original color, Lime Gold. I agree the color does grow on you. Its going to get the white stripes too, I love that look! The upholstery is in awesome condition with a small tear in the drivers seat. I will be using the original upholstery. I know a local that can repair that seat using the original material.
    Jim:guitar:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  13. ph8ed4life

ph8ed4life Active Member

Can't wait to see the day mine is doing the same thing!!

14. Shelby~gt350#3000

What do you have and what condition is it in?

Jim

15. ph8ed4life

ph8ed4life Active Member

http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/introductions-greetings/6300-brand-new-hot-az.html

Here she is...

I'm getting closer to getting my dad to give it to me, or buying it from him.

Long story short, it has always bee promised to my older sister. She has never shown interest until her husband learned about the car...now they want it real bad. Go figure!

But the car nut of the family, the little boy that spend every last minute of his free time in the garage while growing up, was always told no when he asked about the car...

Things are a changin' though. End rant.:mad:

16. snakeoilbrian

snakeoilbrian Well-Known Member

Congrats! I know the feeling. I wanted to let you know I have # 2914, also Lime Gold. A GT 500 with an automatic. Today I went to my clubs car show, "Mustangs @ the Queen Mary" in Long Beach California. My car is about half done and I am looking for cars with serial numbers close to mine. I found your brother! #2999. Also a Lime Gold car. A GT 350 that a guy said he bought in Denver in 1980. Good luck with your car!

17. Shelby~gt350#3000

VERY COOL!! wow, #2999 is Lime Gold too? Thats neat info! Good luck on your Shelby. I just got a call this afternoon that the sandblasting is FINALLLLLY done!. Cant wait to get her back in the garage. Have any pics of your in progress?

Jim

18. Shelby~gt350#3000

I wanted to add some new pics. I was lucky enough to get these shots of the sandblaster doing his thing last week.:thumbsup: Great shots for the album. She has some rust on the drivers floor and toe board and the upper inner fender aprons, fixable for sure. Other then that, VERY solid indeed. Thank GOD the inner fender apron rust wasn't 6 inches more to the left or right, if so, bye bye Shelby stamp numbers!!..PHEW!!:wacko:

Man o man I cant wait to get her home!:dance:

Attached Files:

19. Shelby~gt350#3000

few pics after roof chemical strip and complete epoxy primed.:)

Attached Files:

20. Shelby~gt350#3000

On The Road Again

NEW PICS FROM TODAY LOADING HER UP AND ON HER WAY TO A GREAT FRIEND WHO DOES AWESOME BODY WORK:thumbsup:
    Jim

Attached Files: