Join Shelby Forums Today

Factory Louvered Hoods on 1967 Gt500's

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mherman2, Aug 21, 2007.

1. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

2. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Who cares of the car is 40 or 42 years old? Seems like such an antagonistic post if you ask a guy who has just been watching this thread unfold and quietly biting his tongue.

And referring back to post 32, why would concours judging bow to just what everybody wants or what makes everyone happy?...have we honestly lost sight of the fact that restoring these cars is hard?...you don't just decide ur going to build a thoroughbred and wake up the next morning and have it magically sitting in your garage...its a process of blood, sweat, thousands of hours in the shop/garage, and a plethora of curse words, let alone the amount of shear knowledge that it takes to build one of these show cars. Concours judging is meant to be as stringent as possible, the idea is to make the cars as historically accurate to factory NORMs as possible and, as Bob Gaines has stated, the burden of proof is on the owner of the car, if that owner is going to make a claim that his car is anything but the factory NORM, then it is that owners responsibility to put his money where his mouth is. Is it reasonable to put the burden of proof on the judges?...no, in fact that is one of the most unreasonable propositions i have heard in a while. Judges have many cars to judge, usually all in one day. Do you honestly think the judges have enough time at argue with owners all day?...no, if you have the proof then show it, if you don't then either change the part or live with the deduction, you cant say you weren't warned.

the faithful veterans who have been in this hobby longer than most of us, they have studied the cars with great discipline and deserve the respect that is usually allotted them on this forum. People like Bob Gaines Dave Matthews and Kenny beers don't have to post on these forums, they do so because they want to share their knowledge with those who need their help, they aren't paid and a lot of the time they don't even get the simple thank you that they deserve....all I'm saying is a little bit of respect and courtesy(and this is directed at a few people on this thread) goes a long way with these guys, they don't expect anything more than that, but they surely deserve more.

In all, what i am saying is that the most annoying thing of all is that sometimes these forums turn into a massive game of "try to stump/confuse/disprove the judge". Sure, its OK to challenge someones knowledge with credible proof is encouraged, but doing so in an antagonistic manner is unproductive. And, i am sorry to all you owners of those sweet machines, but just bc something has been on your baby for however many years never means that it is and original factory installed part. I know it is your car, and you would like to think that since it is your pride and joy it must be perfect, at least in your eyes, but when you put it under the scrutiny of a judge or a registrar, you subject your car to be scrutinized under the most stringent of circumstances, so don't be offended, the people who critique your rides are only doing what you asked them to do in the first place.

Best Regards,
    Vern

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2009
  3. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

Quote from the Shelby Registry:

67 section, page 617

"One of the problems with southern California was getting consistently high quality fiberglass in the quantities needed and a new fiberglass source was had been located - Plaza Fiberglas Mfg. Ltd. in Ontario, Canada."

This is listed as one of the main reasons Shelby production was moved half way across the country. They were not getting quality fiberglass parts in the "quantities needed". So we know they had fiberglass parts shortages. They also had quality complaints. It seems like substitution was more than possible. That's all I have to say. I would like to recant my earlier statement that this hobby should be fun in context with anything concours. That was naive on my part.

4. hamiltoncox

hamiltoncox Member

Yes, quite. I am blinded by the fact that I was also produced in 1967, and stopped counting after 40. :doh: