Join Shelby Forums Today

Fabulous Fords at Knottsberry Farm April 20

Discussion in 'Events Forum' started by bitzman, Apr 15, 2008.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Form many years of going there, I deduce
    -best to go early am. like 7 am, parking in shopping center across the street
    (look for signs in case they changed their mind about letting show goers park there).
    -it will be foggy in the am, then suddenly turn hot around 10 am
    -If you want to photograph AC Cobras they arrive in a pack around 7 to 7:30 am followed by the replicas.
    -Ford usually shows one concept car or prototype
    -Mustangs will number about 300-500 including whole sections of Boss, Shelby, Saleen and Roush
    --there are club booths in a grassy infield next to the restaurant
    --I got a kick out of some Fords I rarely look at, especially the inventiveness of the Bronco group--some of whom have totally updated their steeds.

I'll be bringing some signed copies of
    SHELBY The Man The Cars The Legend
    COBRA & SHELBY MUSTANG Photo Archive
    Ford GT40 and the new Ford GT
    Look for me in the Ford GT row, jeans and black cowboy hat.

PS If you don't want lunch at Knotts and you are a visitor to SoCal, I suggest heading S. on Beach to ocean, turning right, parking in Huntington Beach near Main and Pacific Coast Highway and seeing a real beach town (it's known as Surf City). Lots of outdoor restaurants leading up from Pacific Coast highway within the first three blocks.

2. rcassling

rcassling Active Member

The Fabulous Fords get together is a great place to see all sizes and shapes of Shelbys both new and old.

What do you call a grouping of Shelbys? A gaggle? A School?

3. bitzman

Shelbi? I know the plural of Lotus cars together is "Loti" I don't really know the rules of grammer--writers have poetic license to change them (J Mays the head of Ford design even deletes the period after "J" which shows even non writers are messin' with the rules of grammer.)
    I also like adding "isti" on the end of a car word as if the owners are
    revoluntaries like "Ferraristi"

I forogt to mention taht in Hutnington Beach you will see a lot more young
    ladies in bikinis than hot rods, not that I am complaining.

4. ozipedro

ozipedro Member

The rules of grammar are complicated and varied.
    The plural of octopus is octipi based on the Latin grammatical rules of singular and plural ... I don't know about "Loti" LOL

The ladies in bikinis though, sounds correct in every way!

5. bitzman

alas it was too cold for the beach ladies (form long observation, it has to be about 80 for them to come out and strut their stuff)

The event was good, maybe 700 cars? Only about 3-4 real Cobras, lots of replicas.

Steve Saleen was there with his white Ford GT though he's been ousted from his own company. (now working on a Chinese car)

Shelby didn't make it but his truck out of the Las Vegas factory did, with a good display of cars, though a polished out Cobra was not among them.

If I had to vote over which group shows the most enthusiasm for the least bucks it would be the Bronco owners--thre is such a wide variance in the way they modify their cars.

There was a beautiful late model Mustang coupe with a chopped top done better than Sam and George Barris ever did it. The guy said it was a custom car sponsored by Ford awhile back that he bought used.

A few "rat rods" (cars in primer) and one '32 Ford that looked like it had just been pulled out of a barn with correct patina on the upholstery (an aged look that had to be real).

Ford previewed a new SUV or van that was so strange I have to look at it in different colors. The whole backend looked like the new Mini Cooper wagon,
    though much bigger. Very fancy interior. It will run about $30,000. I think it's called the Flex.