Join Shelby Forums Today

Early 1967 GT500 on tour 8/13 - 8/29

Discussion in 'Events Forum' started by rshelby, Aug 13, 2010.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

RARE ‘67 SHELBY GT500 SURVIVOR CAR FROM THE LAS VEGAS SHELBY AMERICAN MUSEUM ON NATIONAL TOUR

• Rare original ’67 Shelby Mustang invited to be exhibited at The Quail – A Motorsports Gathering
    • One of the lowest mileage ‘67 GT500 in existence
    • Third GT500 produced at Shelby American

ATLANTA – August 11, 2010 – A rare ’67 Mustang that has been on display at the Shelby American Museum in Las Vegas is on a limited national tour that includes The Quail – A Motorsport Gathering and the Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC) annual convention. The tour will begin on Friday, Aug. 13, and run through Aug. 29. The Shelby currently has 9,841 miles and may be one of the lowest mileage ‘67 Shelby GT500’s in existence.

The Shelby is owned by Stephen Becker, president and CEO of Planet Cobra. He specializes in selling current production Shelby Cobras, as well as 1965 – 1970 Shelby Mustangs to clients internationally.

“This car was the third GT500 produced at the Shelby American factory,” said Becker. “From its design and performance to its heritage and history, there’s truly nothing like it. I’m pleased that the car was invited to exhibit at the prestigious Quail event and will then be shared with enthusiasts at the upcoming SAAC convention. The car is truly a special survivor that should be at such an important celebration for the 45th anniversary of the Mustang-based Shelbys.”

The car has an intriguing history. In 1966, Edward Milkos decided to order the ’67 Shelby for drag racing. After the car was delivered on Feb. 27, 1967, he spent the next two years competing in races. Unfortunately, his racing career ended when he suffered a serious injury. By the time Milkos healed, fuel prices had dramatically rose, and the car was stored in his basement. Thirty years later, Milkos decided to trade in the Shelby to Becker for a late model Jaguar.

This 1967 GT500 is a Nightmist Blue with black interior, a color combination highly desired by collectors. It is loaded with a 428 Police Interceptor engine with a dual four-barrel carburetion. The car still has its original paint, wheel, tires and drive-train.

Highlights include:
    • Nightmist Blue with black interior
    • 4-speed manual transmission
    • All original documentation including NJ license place and 1970 inspection sticker
    • Consecutive Shelby production number

“This original, unrestored, well documented, low mileage vehicle is one of the rarest Shelby’s ever built and one of my most prized possessions,” noted Becker. “I’m privileged to share something so highly prized by collectors, enthusiasts and automotive historians. I believe that the car will be a wonderful draw at the two national events.”

More information can be found at www.goplanetcobra.com and www.genuineshelby.com.

About Planet Cobra
    Planet Cobra is the most trusted resource for buying and selling genuine Shelby’s today. The company has been in the business for over 30 years and has access to unlimited contacts, databases and insider information that can help enthusiasts buy or sell a Shelby Cobra or Mustang at the best possible price.

Stephen Becker, well-known and respected Shelby expert, is one of the most prolific authorities on Shelby automobiles. His expertise and in-depth knowledge has been tapped by clients to purchase, consign and restore original Shelbys. Becker has been retained by key auto groups and leaders to authenticate and value Shelby vehicles. More information is available at www.goplanetcobra.com or by calling Aaron Cook at (214) 520-3430 / acook@tprm-usa.com.

2. ELJ1st500

ELJ1st500 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have seen this car and agree that it is a true low mileage survivor. Not to bash the car or Stephen, but I do not believe the records support this car being the third GT 500 built at Shelby American. A quick look at the 1997 SAAC Registry indicates this car was completed on 1/4/67. Going by the completion dates in the registry, by my count there were 16 GT 500s completed prior to this car (serial number 213). So, I believe this car was actually the 17th production GT 500 completed by Shelby American.

Thanks,
    Eric

3. 557

557 Well-Known Member

So Eric just curious ...any idea where my car(557)would fall in gt500 production???Trent

4. ELJ1st500

Hello Trent,

Do you have a 1997 SAAC Registry? You are listed in it as being the current owner of car number 557.

Eric

5. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

I know I saw this car years ago (early eighties) in Hopewell, NJ before it was sold (traded?) to Stephen Becker. I remember that the tires were flat. I was also struck by the low VIN. Since I already had purchased my car didn't need nor could I afford to buy another.

6. 557

557 Well-Known Member

Eric actually i dont have ANY copy of the registry(I am waiting for the new one to come out to purchase one as i have updated some info. on my car) but i understand(according to dave matthews)that it is in the earlier edition of the registry as well in my name.....I am a little behind on things as i have owned the car since 82 but it has been "hibernating"for about 20 years(cal. smog issues)for instance i finally confirmed the ford vin with dave only about 2 years ago......i will catch up someday...Trent:unsure::unsure:

7. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi all on this thread,
    Much like Eric has stated...I do not understand where the claim for the 3rd
    G.T.500 originates from.And if it is meant to be stated the 3rd G.T.500 that is Knightmist Blue--even that is not correct according to the 97 registry.
    It is the 38th G.T.500 built (Without counting the 3 Red engineering cars)and the 4th one in that color.Numbers that preceed it (in the same color) are as follows:185 206 208
    Hope someone offers an explanation/correction.I would love to hear it.
    The car is incredible and it is the lowest mileage and best preserved G.T.500 that has surfaced so far.There are several G.T.350 cars that have even lower miles,but I think this is the best example of a G.T.500 we may ever see!! Really nice to know it is on tour.
    Thanks for the viewing oppertunity:):)
    Regards P.D.

8. ELJ1st500

Hello Patty,

I guess I missed all of the GT 500s with serial numbers higher than 0213 that were actually built prior to 1/4/67? For some reason it slipped my mind that the cars were not built in numerical sequence. I must of been thinking about something else........

Thanks,
    Eric

9. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Sorry to Eric and all.My last post is not accurate.Please disregard.After looking over the registry,my best guess is that #213 is the 5th G.T.500 that was produced in Knightmist blue.Even this should be verified by the 67 registrar.New information and corrections since the 1997 Registry could easily change this.The new registry should be even better and we have much more from the Ford side of the build now.
    Regards P.D.:thumbup:

10. ELJ1st500

Hello,

I went back through the registry this morning and it looks like I missed eight GT 500s with serial numbers higher than 0213 that actually have completion dates prior to 1/4/67. If that is correct, I believe that would make 0213 the 25th GT 500 built.

Thanks,
    Eric