Join Shelby Forums Today

Distributor to oil pump driveshaft

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Jim, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

Hi,

I have purchased a nos distributor for my GT500 and have removed the old distributor (dual point mechanical advance) - however when removing it the driveshaft pulled up with it - then droppd down back into the oil pump. There is a lock type washer thta is supposed to prevent this from happening and prevent shaft from popping up out of the oil pump. I assume the washer has moved down the shaft. Question is - should I remove the base pan, push the washer up to the correct location or leave it as is? Can the shaft actually migrate up and disconnect from the oil pump?

Thanks,

Jim

2. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

The shaft can travel up as it is a hexagonical piece that would stay in place until the distributor was perfectly straight and then it should just drop right out. (Picture an allen head and an allen head Bolt, same scenario) the shaft has that "Lock washer" as you call it on the bottom end so it travels only that far into the pump itself. unless you felt or heard something break, you should be okay. If you are unsure, invest in the Pan gasket and drop the Pan. it is a good feeling to clean it out and have a look at your connecting rods and Main bearings. check for looseness etc. Good luck!