Join Shelby Forums Today

Cowl Leak?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Texas GT350, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Texas GT350

Texas GT350 Well-Known Member

I got caught in a rainstorm this afternoon and had some water coming in under the dash board. I thought the problem might be the cowl leaking but the car is rust free. The previous owner said that all these cars leaks and included a plexiglass gizmo that covers the vents on the cowl, unfortunately I had left it at home.

I talked to one person and he said it was the big donut gasket used between the cowl and the heater box, is that possible? If not, any ideas where to look?

2. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

We had to repair the cowl on my car (the '67) that was rust free. My quarters and floor are original. But the cowl did leak. Kind of disappointing to hear that I know. The heater box gasket is up against the dash in the passenger side of the car. The gasket could still be good and leaks coming from that area. I'd get a garden hose out over the cowl vent, note exactly where water is getting into the car and then report back to us. I'm sure someone will render a verdict.

3. gjz30075

gjz30075 Well-Known Member

The donut gasket should never see water, if the cowl is good. It's not supposed to act as a water gasket. Start with a bucket of water and slowly pour it in the cowl, while someone else watches under the dash. If no water leaks, then move the bucket up to the base of the windshield. Move slowly and don't pour fast. If the car is really rust free, it could very well be a poor seal between the windshield gasket and windshield and/or body.

4. Texas GT350

Both replies good information and ideas, I will try and get some assistance this weekend and let you know what I find out.

Thanks,
    Ron

5. beanbag2100

beanbag2100 New Member

Please do, because i'm having the same problem. Thanks

6. jim13mac

jim13mac Member

I have seen rust free cars (body) that have had rusty leaking cowls. The use of a plexiglass cover is a dead give-a-way that the cowl is rusty.
    Jim

7. Texas GT350

I am getting the idea that you are right, I also take it that repairing the cowl is a major job.