Join Shelby Forums Today

correct tires for a 1966 gt350 #1761?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Edward66GT350, Dec 27, 2007.

1. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

(Jeff...we searched at the same time....:)

From some 1965-6 Barracuda fan sites...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shelby73

shelby73 Active Member

You may have just proved me wrong with that picture, but they could have shipped some by mistake or they could have run out of the other style and put these in their place, none of us will ever know for sure, they are both very rare and I will always believe they had both. I am going to take a picture of the other Blue Streaks that I have which I was told was mopars and we took a set off of one back in the 60s. I had a picture at one time of a barracuda with these on them also, who the hell knows. It`s fun to argue about anyway.

3. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Yes I found it interesting that the tires had first been used in 65 so they had been out a year before the 66 production year began. Explains why they have been a bit easier to find (though they really didn't sell allot of Formula S's I think) So it was likely easier for Shelby and Ford to choose a high performance tire like this and save some dollars over the Blue dots.... especially after all the problems with them ;)

4. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

I have looked at a few photos that I have and the one that comes to mind was a red car at saac 31. Can't remember the car number but I think you guys know it from being judged there!! Had the 10 spokes with blue line streaks. I think it was in the Concours judging!! Here are a few photos. I have a few more of other cars with the same tires in the trunk!! #2346 has these tires also
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Snakepit

Yes that is Brent's (s?) car in Div I. They weren't happy with the stripes but were not sure what to do as this is all they could find (yes they lost points)

We discussed painting over the stripe to hide it but they understood the groove would still be there.

6. Edward66GT350

Edward66GT350 Well-Known Member

steveshelbymustang,
    if that red gt350 in your post came from so cal, i looked at it when it was for sale by the restorer/owner. almost bought it and still have my notes on it.
    i believe it had the optional wood steering wheel,correct?
    i specifically remember him telling me that he had orig blue steak tires, but they did not have the painted stripe, so he said, "i had them painted".
    ed

7. Snakepit

LOL... I'm sorry just thinking of an owner of a set of original tires "painiting on" a set of stripes, must have looked great. Its always interesting how something gets started... and takes on a life of its own. As I mentioned above we here in Calif (well many of us) thought they all had blue stripes or why would they call them "Blue Streaks"

The car above is from the south east I believe and was restored in Oklahoma

8. Edward66GT350

Curious to know the Shelby vin # of the red gt350 in post #24.
    My notes are of a red gt350. The picture of it show the Blue Streaks on 10 spokes without the blue stripe. I believe the owner at that time(1996ish) was Skip McDougal. Asking price, low $30k. I have other pix that may show the Shelby vin #.
    Ed

9. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

There is a discussion on the SAAC Forum about incorrect tires on a Hertz car.

One of the posts by Rex Myers:

"I was at the Ford dealer level for 28 years. If any vehicle, at any time had NVH ( noise, vibration ,harshness) issues; the fixing of the problem was the goal. OEM tires was never a thought. Just make the issue go away. So it is possible a fresh delivered car could have had the tires changed out even before a customer would have had the rental Hertz."

This could well be how 'different' tires end up on 'new' cars
    . ;)

10. steveshelbymustang

Edward66GT350
    There were a few red cars there but the one with blue streaks had the simulated wood wheel not the real wood. The one with real wood had the paxton and grey wheels. There was another red gold stripe car there and like a fool I didn't get the numbers on any of them. I was spending more time with researching the 65 cars. Thinking #390 was "untouched". Bob set me straight on that one!! You guys may know whose cars these were.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Edward66GT350

Ok, my notes have the red gt350 I saw in 1996 as 6S875. Other notations include:
    -orig wheels
    -wood wheel
    -2 mirrors(dealer)
    -blue streaks($4,000)-no blue stripe
    Ed

12. steveshelbymustang

Edward66GT350
    I have photos of #873 that is red without real wood steering wheel but nothing on #875

13. Snakepit

Don't think its the same car... but I sent an email to get the number for the car in the picture... get so busy judging never seem to remember many of the car's numbers.

Think I only saw Skip's red car a couple of times. Spent more time with the carry over car at shows. He really hated losing points for not having blue dots. Cost him many first places at non-SAAC shows during the period. Beat that car with #431 when it was out on it's warm up shows for SAAC-28 (think that was the year)

14. shelby73

shelby73 Active Member

Here are the pictures of the Blue Streaks that I was talking about yesterday that I thought was the Mopar tires. For all you guys that have all the answers tell me what these are. Like I said before I saw a set of these on a baracuda in a magazine years ago and thought that these were what they had. We also pulled a set of these off a Baracuda back in the 60s in our tire shop. I have 4 of these new, I found these looking for the other style. The Red Shelby that someone has pictured is Brent Galloways car and it is not the same car Skip had. We have #874 and it is Red and has the blue stripe blue streaks on it. So Brents`s car, Skip`s car and the car we have all look a like, our car is pictured on our website classicfordgarage.com. I would say what happened is that they got some of these tires shipped to them by mistake and used them or they were short on the others and filled in with these. I don`t know why anyone would have changed their spare back then. That is why they had 2 or 3 different kinds of hoods in 66 and Ray Brown and Impact seat belts they had to get the parts on them to sell them. It would make perfect sense that a few could have got these tires and that is something that none of us will ever know for sure. I will probably never show the car we have in concours so it really would make no difference to me, but I sure would not be counting off for the people that do use them

Attached Files:

15. Snakepit

Ed - Brent's car is 6S1815 and not Skip's old car but purchased out of Kansas

16. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

Don't know what these are but here's a Corvette with them.;)

[​IMG]

17. Snakepit

Thanks for posting the pictures. I have no idea where these cam from (don't recall seeing them before) The tread pattern is very different from the others.

Here is a shot of the thread pattern from the 66 Shelby tire

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of 6S1815 after the stripe had been "removed"

[​IMG]

We know that 6S1815 didn't have the blue stripped tires and that Skip's likely have them originally either but your idea that some of the car may have received them would be interesting IMHO if you could find a pattern (group of cars at the factory at the same time) related to their possible usage.

To add another picture to the discussion - here is one from the Car Memories site showing not a magazine car but one out in the parking lot in 66 from my understanding

HAPPY & SAFE NEW YEAR to everyone
    [​IMG]

18. shelby73

shelby73 Active Member

I`m thinking that some of the blue striped tires that I have had some orange inked stamps where they were shipped new, I`m going to examine them closer to see if any of them would have been shipped to Shelby. It`s been a long time since I looked at them close and on the back side. The car that Skip has did not have a blue striped tire in the trunk that I remember, that car was the one that Preston Mcintyre had from S.C.. I saw that car for the first time in 1975, it did not come with stripes down the top, it had the optional wood wheel and it had ten spokes. Preston bought that car new or when it was a year old. I think that car is #875, Me and my brother purchased #874 in 1974 when I was in high school it was the first Shelby in the family it was also Red with ten spokes and #873 was at VIR in 2006 a guy from N.C. not far from me sold it after the meet it was Red, and I think painted magnums on it. After looking I have one new no stripe new 10 spoke in one of our 66s in the trunk and 4 new blue stripes on the red car and the blue car has a slick (no tread left) no stripe spare. The white car had 65 Cragars.

19. shelby73

shelby73 Active Member

Jeff the Red car in the picture you just put on was taken at Nashville at the 40th anniversary meet I`m pretty sure. The other picture is a nice original photo. What do you think about ten spokes painted black between the spokes like the one in the photo that Shelby is leaning against with the 427 Cobra. I know anyone can paint them but one of the nicest sets of ten spokes I have ever had that was original were painted black and they almost looked like they had been taken off almost new.

20. shelby73

shelby73 Active Member

I just saw in your pictures that the 66 was Brent`s, what did he do dye out the blue stripe? I thought that looked like the 40th ann. show (sorry). I appreciate you guys talking about this we were talking about this in the 80s. The last time I took a 66 Shelby to a show I think was in 1982. I would probably have to start over on any of ours to compete at todays level.