Join Shelby Forums Today

Correct finish for rear springs

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by solotex55, Aug 6, 2008.

1. solotex55

solotex55 Active Member

Well, my 70 GT-500 is due back from the body shop next week and I'm trying to tie up some loose ends. What is the correct finish on the rear leaf springs??
    I have new clamps, thru-bolts and anti-squeak pads coming, but can't find any info on the springs except color code marks. My springs are original, but were painted black by previous owner. From what I have seen the code marks go 2-3" down fron rear spring eye...is this correct??

2. KensKR

KensKR Well-Known Member

Jerroll, my springs are painted with Eastwood spray gray, part number 1258z. As far as I know this is the paint everyone uses if your going to paint your springs.
    The picture below shows the original paint marks on my springs. I don't remake the paint marks if the original ones can be found. I taped over the original marks then painted the springs with spray gray.
    As you can see in the pictures a previous owner painted the springs and rearend floresent green.
    Kenny

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Original springs were heat treated then phosphate and oil

4. solotex55

solotex55 Active Member

This raises another question?....How well accepted (in concours) are painted parts in lieu of the original finishes such as bare metal or phosphate & oil.

Here are the only paint codes I have seen. the colors are right by my build sheet, but I'm not sure of the location.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
  5. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

MCA concours and SAAC Div 2 can be painted as long as replicates original finish. MCA thoroughbred and SAAC DIV 1 must have original finishes. Even in the first 2 points can be deducted for "over restoration". A good example of this would be if you painted your leaf springs, U bolts and shock mount plates all with cast blast so there is no contrast between these 3 natural finishes.

6. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

As TLEA said, you need to check the sanctioning body and class you are showing the car in, they vary in what they will allow.

The color and location of the stripes will vary depending on the year and otpions/bodystyle of the car.

1968s are normally striped with just one color code where Kenny did his. Kenny is nearly a genius.

:thumbsup:

1969s tend to be out on the end of the spring near the rear shackle.

7. thefordshow

thefordshow Well-Known Member

I like to phosphate and oil the springs apart, then spray a small amount of cosmoline after detailing them. Install new clamps from NDP or AMK.

8. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

I've used (for painted ones) the following

Clean and disassembly
    Light coat of Eastwood phosphate
    Light coat of dark charcoal metallic (yes the interior paint)
    Dry coat of satin to give the oiled look

Don't think the original springs were phosphated but the look and color (which depended allot on how old the oil was that was used to cool the part) was similar after heat treating

Another option is using gun bluing repair fluid worked into the bare clean metal. But large smooth parts are hard to do and get a consistent look on.

Remember the clamps are bare untreated steel look. Hope you got the right clamps.... can be very hard to find for the wider springs. Most "concours" reproductions are not even close

As for correct spring stripe colors we would need to know

Body style?

When the car was assembled?

Transmission?

Ac or non AC?

Ken's stripe location shown above is not correct for your application

Hope this helps a little

9. solotex55

solotex55 Active Member

Jeff, as always, you are more than a "little" help. But is what you recommend OK for Div 1 or Throughbred?

BTW...my car is 3/69 prod., convertible, no A/C, auto

10. Snakepit

If your referring to is the use of paints and clear coats no. Sorry if I missed the Thoroughbred mention in your earlier post.

Spring stripes for your particular car would be (from a 2/28/69 car - close as I could find)

Front springs - 1 Gold & 1 Pink

Rear springs - 1 Gold & 1 Violet

Gold appears to have had a orange tint and no metallic. Violet is kind of a medium Purple

Happy to help

11. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

12. solotex55

solotex55 Active Member

Forunately I do have the build sheet from the car. It shows GLDGRY for the fronts and YLBRBR for the rears. Don't know why they aren't GLPK and GLDVIO like most cars except this is a ragtop w/o A/C and w/ PS.

13. Snakepit

Jerroll yours must be one of the first cars after they changed the settings/springs. Double checked the one I quoted above from Feb 25, convertible, 428CJ, automatic, non-AC, with PS. Yours wouldn't happen to be a SCJ?

If you don't mind I would be interested in a scan of that buildsheet would be happy to send you the one I mentioned that was vuilt just before yours.

14. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

69 and 70 Shelby's had unique leaf springs different in appearance from a 67 or 68. The length of the leafs are different from 67 or 68 Shelby and Mustang and in the case of the bottom plate it is straight and not curved. The S9MS engineering number on the bottom plate indicates it was a Shelby only unit. Some restorers unknowingly replace the bottom plate on a new set thinking it was the only difference. Knowledgeable 69/70 Judges can tell the difference. The only part of the leafs that is the same is the leaf that has the front in rear eyelet. From a maintenance stand point the procedure that Jeff Speegle oulined gives the most correct appearence and would be correct for SAAC DIV II, MCA trailered and Team Shelby Heritage class. Bob

15. solotex55

solotex55 Active Member

Bob, you are a lifesaver. Getting to the shop this morning I pulled the rear springs off the cart and inspected them a very closely. To my suprise there was no Ford eng#(C9Z....) the bottom leaf is flat and there's a 9SM...# w/ another # above it and a small "keystone" symbol next to it.
    Imagine my disappointment....someone has put aftermarket springs on my car!!
    Now I find these are correct. Thanks to the knowlege in this forum I am saved from making a mistake it seems oters have made.
    Still my original question stands.....what is the correct finish for the rear springs on a 69/70 GT-500 for Div.1 or Throughbred? Is phosphate/oil acceptable?
    Also, I noticed these springs only have 2 clamps as opposed to 3 on the Ford springs. Any thoughts on this??

Attached Files:

16. Snakepit

Originally/correct finish is a oil over heat treated metal.

IF you try and phosphate them to get the dark look then you must be VERY careful since the heat process will destroy the tempter of the metal if the plater does not know what they are doing. Like the hood springs.

Two clamps would be correct for a 69-70 Shelby

17. Joe Sikora

Joe Sikora Active Member

I agree with Jeff about the gun blueing. It is an excellent way to recreate the original heat treat appearance of rear leaf springs and steering components. I do not think the 150 degrees needed for phosphating would hurt the spring temper, but why take the chance? Blueing is cheap, easy to apply and looks great. Finished with a layer of cosmoline or wheel bearing grease, the appearance is very correct.

18. solotex55

solotex55 Active Member

Hell, here in Texas they will see 150 degrees just sittin' in the parking lot on a summer day.

19. snakeman

snakeman Well-Known Member

Way to go FIBERFAB GURU, Bare metal parts no metal prep, no kind of rust preventives, several coats of gun bluing & only a thin coat ofsatin to make them shine, I agree they look great! But how long do you think?! before they rust through? Do you paint a bare metal body without metal prep or primer, how long do you think that would last? Way to go Jeff.

20. Snakepit

5-plus years so far.

Opps....... just remembered - Don't Feed the Trolls

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008